Sloppy Reubens?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Well, at least I'm not the only one....for a while there I was questioning my dear departed Mother....her reubens always had horseradish and so do mine.:)

I may try one tonight with horseradish. I like the idea of a little zip in the sandwich to offset the dressing.

I may try one tonight with horseradish. I like the idea of a little zip in the sandwich to offset the dressing.

I may be wrong, but I only remember horseradish on it....NO Thousand Island for sure....maybe some mayo?? Enjoy!

A good Russian dressing has a healthy dose of horseradish..plus cayenne, Tabasco etc. if you want.... It has plenty of zip with the horseradish being the lead character ...The Amount of dressing per sandwich can be tailored to each individuals taste....

Fun!

The question of Sloppy Reubens made me think, what is the sloppy part. If it's dressing, I think the dressing would overpower the rest of the flavors.

The sloppy part is that it is a loose mix like pork bbq with the sauerkraut and shredded meat instead of sliced meat like traditional Rubens.

The sloppy part is that it is a loose mix like pork bbq with the sauerkraut and shredded meat instead of sliced meat like traditional Rubens.

Okay, so then the sloppy part could be held in place by putting Swiss cheese on both sides and it still could be grilled. I like the idea of more Swiss. :pig:

A good Russian dressing has a healthy dose of horseradish..plus cayenne, Tabasco etc. if you want.... It has plenty of zip with the horseradish being the lead character ...The Amount of dressing per sandwich can be tailored to each individuals taste....

Fun!

I totally agree with you on this one Uncle B! I put Russian dressing (I get a really good "homemade" one from our farmer's market) on my reubens - really brings it up a notch!

I totally agree with you on this one Uncle B! I put Russian dressing (I get a really good "homemade" one from our farmer's market) on my reubens - really brings it up a notch!

Homemade for sure....I've not seen, nor have I looked for a commercial Russian dressing....Is there anyone marketing one??????

Good to know....Thanks Andy! When shopping, we blow right past the salad dressing display...Maybe I can find the Wishbone....the others?...doubtful.

we had Reubens last night and I am not a huge fan of the 1000 island dressing, it takes away from the corned beef (IMO) but I have bended it out with real mayo and like the milder flavor much better(just a thought).

Last edited:
Most of the Reubens I have eaten had thousand island dressing, so I'm sure it will be good. I would probably spread the dressing thinly on the bread, as I don't like dressing oozing out of my sandwich and spreading it would give me more control.

I LOVE Reubens!

:)Barbara

Ditto!

The sandwiches came out good. I shredded the corned beef but next time I'll do a little chopping too since the strands were a bit long. I layered it on the bottom of the bun, put the Swiss on top, buttered the bun tops and broiled the sandwiches. The cheese melted and the buns toasted then spread some dressing on the bun tops. They were good! I think I may add a bit more sauerkraut next time too. I used regular hamburger buns and may try a heavier roll like a kaiser or even a thick cut dark bread.

The sandwiches came out good. I shredded the corned beef but next time I'll do a little chopping too since the strands were a bit long. I layered it on the bottom of the bun, put the Swiss on top, buttered the bun tops and broiled the sandwiches. The cheese melted and the buns toasted then spread some dressing on the bun tops. They were good! I think I may add a bit more sauerkraut next time too. I used regular hamburger buns and may try a heavier roll like a kaiser or even a thick cut dark bread.

Sounds really good. I like mine on pumpernickel or rye breads.

Sounds really good. I like mine on pumpernickel or rye breads.
When I make the more traditional sandwich, I use a seedless rye bread. I'm not a big fan of whole caraway seeds. I like the flavor they give the bread but I inevitably bite one and :wacko:. I think the bread would need to be thicker than commercial slices though.

When I make the more traditional sandwich, I use a seedless rye bread. I'm not a big fan of whole caraway seeds. I like the flavor they give the bread but I inevitably bite one and :wacko:. I think the bread would need to be thicker than commercial slices though.

You are my sandwich soulmate! I don't like caraway seeds in in rye bread either. I only ever buy seedless rye.

Back
Top Bottom