Sloppy Reubens?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
My three favorite reuben concoctions would be great with either thousand island or russian dressing, with or without horseradish.

New Years Eve Reuben appetizer: Dice corned beef, rinsed chopped saurkraut, dressing, diced swiss cheese, baked in a casserole, served with rye bread or chips.

Grilled/baked reubens: Assemble with corned beef on dark rye buttered on the outside, dressing and kraut, topped in cheese and then with more dark rye buttered. Bake until crispy on both sides. (wrap in foil and freeze to warm up at another time if you like)

From the German Restaurant up the road: Open faced Red Reubens, dark rye on the bottom, corned beef, dressing and then sweet sour red cabbage, topped in swiss, broiled.

Light on the dressing in all three cases, with extra served on the side.
I make most of these with homemade saurkraut, it's milder than store bought, delicious.

I've bumped this because I am making Reubens for tonight, but I thought the dressing was Russian, not Thousand Islands? Which is it? I have to make the dressing...I suppose that can wait until my Dad gets home and I can make the one he wants. I prefer Russian over 1000 Islands. Unless someone has another yummy suggestion? The sauerkraut is quick kraut with acv and carraway, salt, some whey.

I ended up doing mayo-horseradish-worchestshire sauce because that is how my Dad said the cooks at our restaurant made them...doubt it, but he liked his Reuben and so did my Mom.

A true NYC Reuben has russian dressing on buttered grilled rye bread.

But there are as many variations as there are guys named Reuben, and all of them are good.

The sandwiches.

I can't speak for the guys with the name.

Last edited:
Glad the thread was bummed, and got to read it. I also like Reuben's.

OP your idea sounds like something I would think of and not bat a eye to make. I find if I like the basic concept I adjust what I think it needs next time. I may of toasted in a cast iron griddle. I do like the idea of the horseradish added.

Fortunately for me, sauerkraut never goes bad. I buy it freshly made in a bag and what I don't use that first time will keep forever. Every so often I will find a package at half the price of an overcut of corned beef in the extra manager special pile of cold cuts. Perfect for a Reuben. All I need to do then is head over to the bread department and pick up a loaf of rye minus any seeds sitting on top. I prefer marbled rye.

St. Pats is 2 weeks away or about that. I am brining 2 roasts. 2 tsp pink salt, 1/2 cup salt, 1/2 cup sugar, a couple Tablespoons pickling spices, turning the roasts daily. It will be ready for st. pat's day.

Fortunately for me, sauerkraut never goes bad. I buy it freshly made in a bag and what I don't use that first time will keep forever. Every so often I will find a package at half the price of an overcut of corned beef in the extra manager special pile of cold cuts. Perfect for a Reuben. All I need to do then is head over to the bread department and pick up a loaf of rye minus any seeds sitting on top. I prefer marbled rye.

....don't forget about hitting the deli for some swiss cheese. I can't imagine having a Reuben without swiss. :yum: Do you still have that forever bag of sauerkraut, Addie? Just wondering. :)
--------------------------
I look forward to this time of year. Can't wait for a few meals of Reuben sammies with sides of dills and 'tater salad. :yum:

Himself loved the open-faced Reuben sandwich he had at the brewery last week. I think it will be a way to use extra corned beef whenever I make the next one.

We haven't been having corned beef and cabbage on St. Paddy's day recently. The price of corned beef has been ridiculous, so I wait. After a few weeks pass, one of the two stores I frequent most usually have the left-behinds on sale for around half price. With "sell by" dates well past March 17th, I don't worry about them going bad. Still a cheap-butt shopper!

Back
Top Bottom