Sherry Wine

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Roll_Bones

Master Chef
When I make Asian food in many cases it calls for Sherry. All I can find in stores is sherry wine vinegar. I cannot find sherry wine even in liquor stores.
What's up with this?
I do see it online. But when searching sherry wine most results are for sherry wine vinegar.
TIA

Publix carries it here. It's always where they keep the odds and ends that don't fit elsewhere in the minds of the person(s) who stock the shelves, like saki, Sherry, Marsala, Mogan David, the fruity wines, etc.

Last edited:
I agree with Andy, just ask at the local liquor store.

If you are using sherry for cooking you don’t need an impressive brand name like Harvey’s.

I use Taylor New York dry sherry for cooking. I haven’t bought it lately but it should be available for under $10.00.

Roll Bones, Sherry is a type of wine, which is why the recipe is probably saying Sherry Wine so as to distinguish it from Sherry Vinegar.
I don't know about elsewhere but I only hear it referred to as "Sherry".

And as Andy says, ask for dry.

Roll Bones, Sherry is a type of wine, which is why the recipe is probably saying Sherry Wine so as to distinguish it from Sherry Vinegar.
I don't know about elsewhere but I only hear it referred to as "Sherry".

And as Andy says, ask for dry.
I only hear people talk about "Sherry", not "Sherry wine", even though sherry is wine. Saying "sherry wine" sounds as odd to me as if someone said, "Champagne wine". It would me wonder if it was something other than the Champagne that I'm familiar with.

By definition, sherry is wine. I have never heard it called 'sherry wine'. That said, there are many types of sherry. In my picture, the one on the left is commonly found in grocery stores for $5-10. Taylor is a common brand for Sherry, Marsala, Port, and Madera in the US, usually used for cooking (some folks actually drink it - like my father). It's what I use for cooking.

The 2 smaller bottles on the right are sherries I brought back from the Jerez region of Spain. I wouldn't waste them cooking unless I was opening them otherwise for the same meal.
20230614_215622.jpg

I'll have to dig mine up and take a pic.

I spent quite a while looking for some sherry in the liquor store one day (couple of years ago) couldn't find it.
They had changed the label, :mad: and, as was soon pointed out to me, the bottles labeled Jerez was indeed the Sherry I was looking for. :doh:
Spanish 'Jerez' = English 'Sherry'

Jerez in Spanish and Sherry in English, :unsure: I wonder if that Sherry is an English mispronunciation of Jerez. Off to Wiktionary to check on the etymology.

Etymology​

Back-formation of earlier sherris (interpreted as a plural), from Spanish (vino de) Xeres (“wine of Xeres”), Xeres being the former spelling of Jerez (pronounced /ʃeˈɾes/ in early modern Andalusian Spanish).
So, not a mispronunciation, but an anglicized spelling of the older Spanish name for the region. Oh, and then a bit of confusion.

Actually that's what I thought all along. Jerez and Sherry - wasn't hard to make the connection.

Reminds me, we were driving thru France towards Germany. Going to a town called Zweibrucken. We got hopelessly lost, could find no signs for Zweibrucken, even though we knew we were close. It was just near the border. Finally in one town, my Dad was inquiring,
Mais Oui, Mssr! Deux Pont, ess jusque dhat way!

I would ask in a liquor store next time you'r in one. Ask for dry sherry.
After I could not find it in any grocery store I called every liquor store in my area. None had it. I did not go in person. I'm not sure if I said "Dry" would have been different. But I will use "dry" in future searches in my area.
There is little in the way of things like this in this town. It's meat and potato's. It's better than it was when I first moved here.
@medtran49. We do have Publix but the closest one is about 25 miles unlike Florida where they are everywhere. They are opening a new one on the July 4th weekend much closer to us. 10 miles. Best part is it's a country drive through tree lined back roads with little if any cars or trucks. Shady too.
I look forward to it and I think a lot of my shopping woes will be relieved.
I only hear people talk about "Sherry", not "Sherry wine", even though sherry is wine. Saying "sherry wine" sounds as odd to me as if someone said, "Champagne wine". It would me wonder if it was something other than the Champagne that I'm familiar with.
I used the term here so I could differentiate between vinegar and wine. I have always just called it sherry. Never drank any before, but know it.
Like I said. Sherry wine vinegar is easy to get in every store. Sherry (wine) is not.

Until a few years ago, in Quebec, you could only buy liquor (aside from beer) at the SAQ, which stands for Societe des Alcools du Quebec. In Ontario they have the LCBO, Liquor Control Board of Ontario. The only places you can buy Hard Liquor. Grocery stores now sell wines but nothing specialized, only wines that might be drunk with suppers.
I remember on my first visits to Florida I was flabbergasted at the "Mom & Pop" type liquor stores all over the place.
So, no, we cannot get Sherry at grocers.

Until a few years ago, in Quebec, you could only buy liquor (aside from beer) at the SAQ, which stands for Societe des Alcools du Quebec. In Ontario they have the LCBO, Liquor Control Board of Ontario. The only places you can buy Hard Liquor. Grocery stores now sell wines but nothing specialized, only wines that might be drunk with suppers.
I remember on my first visits to Florida I was flabbergasted at the "Mom & Pop" type liquor stores all over the place.
So, no, we cannot get Sherry at grocers.
Two reasons we can't get Sherry at the grocers, IIRC, only wine bottled in Canada is sold in Quebec grocery stores and Sherry is a fortified wine, so I don't think even a locally made sherry would be allowed. It would have a higher alcohol level than can be sold in grocery stores. But, we can get imported beer that doesn't have to be bottled in Canada at the grocery store.

Thanks taxy, just realized I did NOT know that they were only Canadian wines. As I make my own it is not something I would have noticed. I'll have to check the grocers here, possibly the same rule.

Thanks taxy, just realized I did NOT know that they were only Canadian wines. As I make my own it is not something I would have noticed. I'll have to check the grocers here, possibly the same rule.
It can be imported wine, but in Quebec, it has to be bottled in Canada. That's why we can get Spanish and Australian wines in boxes as well as French, Portuguese wines, ... in bottles at the grocery store.

By that I take it you mean the wines have been shipped in bulk and then bottled in Quebec or Canada as the case may be. Right?

I find it hard to believe you can’t find sherry in any regular liquor store. Look for it near brandy, port vermouth etc.

use dry sherry

never use the sherry cooking with from the supermarket

Where I am from, and also very much in the UK, sherry is associated with a small snifter taken at the end of the meal, usually by those from the older generations. It has also long been known as a very cheap wine and a favourite of alcoholics. In general, it has long been held in low regard.
A lot of very good sherry comes from Spain and in recent years producers have been keen to find ways to bring its reputation up.
Because of this, you may find retailers now use more diverse names to identify this style of alcohol.
You might try asking for Apera, Amontillado, Fino, or other varieties. It’s unlikely that you will find them in a supermarket, a more traditional alcohol store is your best bet.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom