Saturday August 10. What's for supper?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

caseydog

Master Chef
I had a craving for a Popeyes Spicy Chicken Sandwich, but didn't want to go anywhere, so I made one at home. I used thigh meat, instead of breast. Double coating of flour with an egg wash in between. Into the deep fryer, until golden brown. Onto a fresh Kaiser roll with some Duke's mayo, and a nice sprinkle of Crystal hot sauce.

1723337444035.jpeg

CD

I keep hearing about Duke's mayonnaise. I've never had the opportunity to try it. I'm a lifelong Hellmann's fan.

Another mayonnaise I've heard highly touted and had wanted to try is Kewpie from Japan. Everyone raved about it. Not too long ago I saw it in Costco and bought bottle. I thought it was awful! It tasted like Kraft Miracle Whip.

I keep hearing about Duke's mayonnaise. I've never had the opportunity to try it. I'm a lifelong Hellmann's fan.

Another mayonnaise I've heard highly touted and had wanted to try is Kewpie from Japan. Everyone raved about it. Not too long ago I saw it in Costco and bought bottle. I thought it was awful! It tasted like Kraft Miracle Whip.
Never tried Duke's. I'm definitely a Hellmann's girl.

An acquaintance of mine said she tried Kewpie mayo and said it was "disgusting." So I haven't had the desire to try it myself.

I'll just stick with my Hellmann's. Which is what's going onto my BLT pizza tonight. :yum:

Tovala meals. Pistachio crusted chicken with Israeli couscous and Brussel sprouts, with a lemon-sumac vinaigrette, pistacios and dried apricots with a mild feta cheese sprinkle. I liked it. Craig did not.
20240810_182341.jpg

I tried Kewpie once, based on so many recommendations, and like you, I did not like it at all. I ended up throwing it away.

I ate Hellmann's all my life, and people kept telling me I had to try Duke's. So I did, and I'm sold on it. That's all I buy now. I don't think it is available everywhere. If you can get it, buy a small jar, and try it.

CD

I wanted breakfast for supper, so that's what I had. I cooked some bacon in the non-stick skillet. Then I tossed some chopped up beet greens in the bacon fat along with a few small cloves of garlic that were smashed, but not chopped. When that had wilted to something more manageable, I pushed the beet greens to the edges of the skillet and cracked a duck egg in the centre. I put a lid on the pan and cooked it until the egg white on top of the yolk became translucent. Then there is no slimy egg white, but the yolk is still nice and runny. Whole wheat toast to eat along with that.

2024-05-10 Duck egg, beet greens, bacon, and whole wheat toast.jpg

I wanted breakfast for supper, so that's what I had. I cooked some bacon in the non-stick skillet. Then I tossed some chopped up beet greens in the bacon fat along with a few small cloves of garlic that were smashed, but not chopped. When that had wilted to something more manageable, I pushed the beet greens to the edges of the skillet and cracked a duck egg in the centre. I put a lid on the pan and cooked it until the egg white on top of the yolk became translucent. Then there is no slimy egg white, but the yolk is still nice and runny. Whole wheat toast to eat along with that.

View attachment 70278
That egg is beautiful.

View attachment 70278

I have never had a duck egg. I want to try one, but I never see them anywhere around me, either in stores or restaurants.

CD

Nope, no supper, well at least not really, ate 2 fresh mushrooms instead of frying them - tasty - LOL
later had a peanut butter and banana sandwich on some of my onion bread. also tasty - :)

You really have to look for them casey they are sometimes difficult to spot. Usually on a top shelf with the other eggs and there will only be one row of them. Up here they are sold in a 6 pack. At the farmer's market they are sold as a full dozen.
or google "duck eggs near me"
but they are very rich and if you are at all sensitive you might experience a tummy ache. Honestly not a huge difference in taste - a bit, just not huge.

Nope, no supper, well at least not really, ate 2 fresh mushrooms instead of frying them - tasty - LOL
later had a peanut butter and banana sandwich on some of my onion bread. also tasty - :)

You really have to look for them casey they are sometimes difficult to spot. Usually on a top shelf with the other eggs and there will only be one row of them. Up here they are sold in a 6 pack. At the farmer's market they are sold as a full dozen.
or google "duck eggs near me"
but they are very rich and if you are at all sensitive you might experience a tummy ache. Honestly not a huge difference in taste - a bit, just not huge.
I love peanut butter and banana sandwiches with a drizzle of honey.

Well, onion bread's not my first choice either but have a 1/4 loaf left and need to use it up. Never heard of putting honey on it. Also never knew Elvis liked them.

I'm pushing it as it is with the banana - never ate one for 30 maybe 40 years due to tummy conditions and honey is the same. Can tolerate small amounts at a time now so I'm ecstatic and satisfied with that!
Used to be my favourite and mom always made peanut butter and banana pinwheels for my birthdays.

Tramezzini bread is one of my go to things for fingerfood party sandwiches for kids (ok, and adults too). fill with a myriad of things. An invention of the gods.

Also never knew Elvis liked them.
I'm pretty sure he ate his grilled using butter. I tried it that way once, wayyy too greasy feeling for me. I love grilled cheese using butter, but the butter plus hot peanut butter, just nope.

I can't stand Miracle Whip, but do like Kewpie when used properly. I would never use it in large amounts, but used sparingly, especially when mixed with sriracha, it is quite good. I like Duke's and Hellman's too, but Craig doesn't so we use Kraft or homemade.

Well, onion bread's not my first choice either but have a 1/4 loaf left and need to use it up. Never heard of putting honey on it. Also never knew Elvis liked them.

I'm pushing it as it is with the banana - never ate one for 30 maybe 40 years due to tummy conditions and honey is the same. Can tolerate small amounts at a time now so I'm ecstatic and satisfied with that!
Used to be my favourite and mom always made peanut butter and banana pinwheels for my birthdays.

Tramezzini bread is one of my go to things for fingerfood party sandwiches for kids (ok, and adults too). fill with a myriad of things. An invention of the gods.
Elvis ate peanut butter, banana and bacon sandwiches grilled.

“The peanut butter and banana sandwich (PB&B), or peanut butter, banana and bacon sandwich(PB,B&B), sometimes referred to as an Elvis sandwich, the Velvet Elvis, or simply the Elvis, is a sandwich with toasted bread, peanut butter, sliced or mashed banana, and occasionally bacon. Honey or jelly is seen in some variations of the sandwich. The sandwich is frequently cooked in a pan or on a griddle.”
Courtesy of Wiki

I used to eat peanut butter and banana with wheat germ on soft wonder bread. The bacon sounds yuck to me but to each their own.

Last edited:
I tried Kewpie once, based on so many recommendations, and like you, I did not like it at all. I ended up throwing it away.

I ate Hellmann's all my life, and people kept telling me I had to try Duke's. So I did, and I'm sold on it. That's all I buy now. I don't think it is available everywhere. If you can get it, buy a small jar, and try it.

CD
I could get some on Amazon but it's expensive.

Back
Top Bottom