Riata

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

otuatail

Senior Cook
Hi. I could do with a good recipie for Riata

All the recipies are in pinches, cups and tea spoons. I would like it in grams if that is possible. I am in the UK.
I have a recipie here from the BBC for example.
  • 250g Greek yogurt
  • 1 garlic clove
  • thumb-sized piece ginger, finely grated
  • ½ small pack coriander, chopped
  • 0.25 small pack mint, leaves chopped
  • juice 0.5 lime
  • ½ tsp garam masala, plus a little extra to serve
  • ¼ cucumber, grated and lightly squeezed
Makes 6 to 8 helpings. But what is a helping. It depends on how many popadums you eat adn if you also have mango chutney, onions and lime pickle.

Here are a bunch of raita recipes, many of which you might like, though none call for measurements in grams. And, unless you have an extremely accurate scale, it's hard to get 1/4 or 1/2 tsp of a spice equivalent accurately by weight. I have a small scale that weighs tenths of a gram, and grains, but not even as small as milligrams. I only use that when fooling with measuring out chemicals - nothing I need that for with spices.

One strange term you'll see on all these recipes is that they refer to yogurt as "curd". Maybe they use that term in England sometimes? That recipe you posted are like many I see online - what is a "thumb" of ginger, or a quarter package of mint, or the juice from a half lime? Measurements in tsp or tb or cups are much more accurate, or by weights, for the larger amounts.

Some of my favorite recipes in here are the pachadis - basically raitas, from southern Indian regions, with more spices and some cooked ingredients in them.

I do have scales to 1/100g
That is an incredibly accurate scale! Problem is, it's unusual to have those, so the recipes are not made for those that have them. I even got some bread books years ago, in which every ingredient was in grams, which was sort of a pain, with small amounts. Like I said, that's not bad, for the things like flour, and other larger amounts - that way, if it's accuracy is ±¼g, FI, that would be little, weighing several cups of flour, but ¼ tsp would be easy to overshoot, especially with super-light things, like spices, or yeast..

Metric makes it easy to remember ratios. But I grew up metric, so I am biased.
But teaspoons etc are easy for herbs as @PepperHead explains.
Besides: you are referring to a bbc recipe, so obviously not all UK recipes are fully metric

Raita is one of those recipes that you can adjust to your liking (actually, you can do that with all recipes).
Find a recipe, preferably from a reliable source. Make it. Adjust next time if needed

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom