Questions about a flat top electric/glass top stove?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

BAPyessir6

Senior Cook
Got a new stove because the old electric one (coiled) shocked me fairly good and I got a bit frightened. Soooo we replaced it! I've never used a flat top glass stove, so I have some questions about it (yes I read the manual haw haw).

1. If it cracks, do I need to worry about being electrocuted? Or if it cracks, do I need to replace/repair it right away?

3. The manual says I can't use copper pans on the stovetop. Does that mean my copper-bottom Revereware is no longer usable?

2. The manual says to only use "pots the same size as the burner." If I use a pot that's, say, way bigger or way smaller than the burner it's on, will it cause the stove to warp/or the pot/pan to warp or get damaged? Or is the "size of pot to size of burner" just to prevent burns to the person (me)?

I've had one for 23 years.

1. They are ceramic, not glass. It would be very hard to crack one. I use cast iron, including a big dutch oven on mine, and never worry. The ceramic cooktops are hard to scratch, too.

2. I don't know about copper pans. My coper-bottom Revere tea kettle seems to be okay.

3. Pick a burner that is as close to the size of your pan as possible, but you won't always have a perfect match. If a burner is way too small, you won't get even heating. If a burner is way to big, you have a safety issue -- you could accidentally burn yourself, as you said. Just get as close as you can.

One thing you do need to do is clean up messes on hot surfaces ASAP, such as spills. If you don't the residue is VERY hard to get off of the ceramic surface, and can even leave a permanent stain. Keep a cotton towel close to wipe up spills right away.

CD

Last edited:
I have 2 ceramic top stoves.

I have a very nice Mauviel copper pan that I’ve used on mine for 20 years without issue.

I also use cast iron all the time.

Just don’t drag your cast iron ( or anything) and clean up spills promptly.

When we moved here to the farm there was a ceramic cooktop. Yucky from years of use without proper cleaning. I found a cooktop cleaner, Cerama Brite, that after two or three applications made the cooktop look brand new. There is also a kit with a scraper and a nylon scrubber which has come in very handy. If the burner is still hot and there is a spill, you can't properly wipe up the spill so the cleaner comes in very handy.
I use cast iron on the cooktop with no adverse affects.

When we moved here to the farm there was a ceramic cooktop. Yucky from years of use without proper cleaning. I found a cooktop cleaner, Cerama Brite, that after two or three applications made the cooktop look brand new. There is also a kit with a scraper and a nylon scrubber which has come in very handy. If the burner is still hot and there is a spill, you can't properly wipe up the spill so the cleaner comes in very handy.
I use cast iron on the cooktop with no adverse affects.
Yes, absolutely get Cerama Brite and the scraper!

I also use BarKeepers friend on mine

Except if you are making something like caramel! Friend got some burnt on sugar and I honestly don't know if she ever got it off. Both of us worked on the stupid spill (which I would have just ignored but... ) for hours.
Now this was quite a few years ago, plus she wouldn't let me use anything other than plastic. Maybe today I would have been able to get it off.

Except if you are making something like caramel! Friend got some burnt on sugar and I honestly don't know if she ever got it off. Both of us worked on the stupid spill (which I would have just ignored but... ) for hours.
Now this was quite a few years ago, plus she wouldn't let me use anything other than plastic. Maybe today I would have been able to get it off.
Use a razor blade. My GE Profile came with one. The CeramaBright scraper.

Except when I suggested that my girlfriend nearly had a heart attack.

I use a razor blade. I've never had a problem. I also use my professional car polisher on mine -- something I need to do now. I'll try to remember to post a picture after I do it... if I remember to do it.

CD

casey I used a razor blade on my glass front fireplaces. A best friend's DH & FIL were glaziers. Don't tell to many as they seemed to have heart palpitations when they heard. Even the gunk they sell to clean that glass say "Don't!" Tiny scapes could lead to weakening of the glass - which I understand but ....

casey I used a razor blade on my glass front fireplaces. A best friend's DH & FIL were glaziers. Don't tell to many as they seemed to have heart palpitations when they heard. Even the gunk they sell to clean that glass say "Don't!" Tiny scapes could lead to weakening of the glass - which I understand but ....

Those fireplace fronts use tempered glass. A scratch (or any defect) can lead to bad things. My parents had one fail, and it spread tiny pieces of glass all over the room.

CD

I used my razor scraper to clean up my stove about 30 min ago. Worked like a charm on some dried up hot saucethat I made yesterday.

Like I said, it came with the stove

BTW - there is a difference between a glass cook top and a ceramic one.
An acquaintance renovated her kitchen, brand new glass top and within 2 days dropped a pot from the cupboard above and cracked it right across from one side to other - Expensive 'oops!'

Using pots and pans that are way different in size from the burners can really affect how the stove works and its lifespan. It's best to avoid doing that altogether.

I have a metal bench scraper. Could I use that gently on the surface of the stove, or should I buy specifically a cermabrite razor blade thingy?

My DIL has a metal scrapper made just for the griddle.

I think you might find a purchased one with a long handle easier to use. Aren't you supposed to scrap/clean it right after cooking? While it is still hot? a hand held one would get your hand uncomfortably close to that hot surface. Also my bench scraper is all metal so unless yours is one of those that has a wood handle, that scraper will also get very hot!

OOPSIES!!! Thought you were talking about your blackstone.

to you glass top:
You probably could use it but I would be very careful. You would be better off with a razor blade.

Last edited:
I have a metal bench scraper. Could I use that gently on the surface of the stove, or should I buy specifically a cermabrite razor blade thingy?
DO NOT use a metal bench scraper. It won’t work and could damage the surface.

Get ceramabrite and the razor thing. I just checked. It’s $12 on Amazon.

Back
Top Bottom