Questions about a flat top electric/glass top stove?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
DO NOT use a metal bench scraper. It won’t work and could damage the surface.

Get ceramabrite and the razor thing. I just checked. It’s $12 on Amazon.

I ordered some from Amazon, and it arrived yesterday. Next time I clean my ceramic cooktop, I'll try it and post up the results.

CD

I bought it and used it! It works nicely in combination with vinegar/baking soda and just power wash. Question!!

There seem to be burned on little tiny dots in certain areas in the burner. I've tried boiling water, cerebrite, vinegar soda, plastic scraper, everything. Can I use something stiffer like wooden toothpicks to try to scrape it off, or is this too dangerously close to scratching the surface?

I bought it and used it! It works nicely in combination with vinegar/baking soda and just power wash. Question!!

There seem to be burned on little tiny dots in certain areas in the burner. I've tried boiling water, cerebrite, vinegar soda, plastic scraper, everything. Can I use something stiffer like wooden toothpicks to try to scrape it off, or is this too dangerously close to scratching the surface?

You can use a sharp razor blade. Ceramic is harder than the steel used in razor blades. I've been doing it for 23 years on my ceramic cooktop.

CD

Got a new stove because the old electric one (coiled) shocked me fairly good and I got a bit frightened. Soooo we replaced it! I've never used a flat top glass stove, so I have some questions about it (yes I read the manual haw haw).

1. If it cracks, do I need to worry about being electrocuted? Or if it cracks, do I need to replace/repair it right away?

3. The manual says I can't use copper pans on the stovetop. Does that mean my copper-bottom Revereware is no longer usable?

2. The manual says to only use "pots the same size as the burner." If I use a pot that's, say, way bigger or way smaller than the burner it's on, will it cause the stove to warp/or the pot/pan to warp or get damaged? Or is the "size of pot to size of burner" just to prevent burns to the person (me)?
I've never had a good experience with coiled electric ones. They are always poorly installed and end up tilted, resulting in oil rolling to one side whenever I am cooking.

I did some research on the subject of "glass vs ceramic" cooktops. All flat-top cooktops are made of a glass-ceramic blend rather than being all-ceramic or all-glass. This gives the cooktop the expansion capabilities of a ceramic without the porous nature of a true ceramic.

An all glass cooktop would shatter under the stress of heating to high temperatures, then cooling. It would also shatter if you dropped a pan on it. An all ceramic cooktop would be very difficult to keep clean, as spills could soak into the ceramic material.

BTW, I got my Ceramabrite kit from Amazon, and it includes a razor blade with a plastic handle. It does work on burned on residue, but it takes a fair bit of time and effort. I figure it is going to take a good 30 minutes to get my 23-year-old cooktop looking pretty close to "like new." In the future, I'm going to be more diligent about wiping up spills right away.

CD

Back
Top Bottom