Queequeg's Chili

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Queequeg

Assistant Cook
This forum inspired me to try cooking my own chili. I had eaten plenty of a friends on previous ocassions but never put much thought into what actually went into chili (apart from the obvious) and after looking at this forum the massive array of options makes the idea of cooking your own chili an intreasting one.

Below is what I cooked today and will be resting overnight to mature for lunch tommorrow. I am quite pleased with the result especially since some distinct elements are my own. Before I started I had a very good Idea of what I wanted my chili to be like, a deep rich savory flavour, with a distinct capsicum flavour and not too much heat.

The recipe:

500g/lb minced beef
2 tsp of Olive oil
1/2 large white onion (diced)
2 Large cloves of garlic (diced)
1 tsp Dried oregarno
1 tsp cummin seed (bruised)
1 bay Leaf
1/2 Green capsicum pepper (diced)
1/2 cup of whole fat milk
1 Can of Red kidney beans (Drained but not rinsed)
1 small can of cannellini beans (drained but not rinsed)
1 1/2 cans of chopped tomatoes
1 stick of cinnamon (broken in half)
4 tbsp of dark soy souce
2 tsp tomatoe puree
2 tsp Paprika
3 tsp Ground Cayeene Pepper
2 tsp of crushed dried chillies (or to taste)
Salt and pepper (to taste)

1: Soften the onion in a little oil over a low-medium heat with the bay, oregarno and cummin stiring constantly
2: Add the green pepper and cook for 5 more minutes
3: Add meat and brown, reducing most of the liquid given up by the meat
4: Add the milk and reduce
5: Add the beans and heat for 5 mins
6: Add the tomatoes and stir.
7: Add all remaining ingredants, cover and simmer for 40 mins

There are obvious differences here. No chili powder, but I wanted to avoid chili powder because its contents varies from manufacturer. You will notice I have included the other common ingrediants of chilli powder seperately. The inclusion of milk is something I took from Italian cooking, the milk smooths the taste and acts as a emulsifier for the fat and water. lastly Dark soy which adds a rich savoury flavour without over salting the dish like light soy could. the soy doesn't make the dish taste at all oriental. The cannellini beans thicken the souce nicely whilst providing a different texture.

Feedback appreciated:)

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom