Petty Vents II

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I do have friends that travel with a cat...and other friends that travel with their bird (African Grey)...but I don't think I know anyone that travels with both in their RV.

Our previous next-door-neighbors used to have kids from church come out and care for the cat and the chickens. Up here, 99% of the population has recreational toys...RV's, boats, off-road vehicles, etc.

Why do restaurants have TVs all over? I can understand TVs being in a bar, but in a sit-down restaurant where people might want to have a conversation with their meal?
People staring at a screen while shoving food in their mouths--not dining at all. If the restaurant cook/chef goes to the trouble to prepare a good menu and good food, and the customers care to dine, turn off the TVs!!!

Why do restaurants have TVs all over? I can understand TVs being in a bar, but in a sit-down restaurant where people might want to have a conversation with their meal?
People staring at a screen while shoving food in their mouths--not dining at all. If the restaurant cook/chef goes to the trouble to prepare a good menu and good food, and the customers care to dine, turn off the TVs!!!
I couldn't agree more! And the nail salons too! I much prefer spa music to news or DIY shows! One place here has The Piano Guys on the TVs..that works for me! Unfortunately, my favorite tech doesn't work there. Sigh.

Never been in a restaurant that has TV's unless it is a Sports or Gaming place.
and only TV's I've seen in Diners are on TV! :LOL:

What kind of restaurants are you talking about? Do they have tablecloths on the tables? Or are they chains like .... um... Olive (something?) and Bar B Barn or along those lines. LOL the Flying J?

Dragnlaw, the restaurants are some chains, but mostly not. For example, we went to an Italian restaurant in a nearby town, and upon walking in, the TVs were on. We left. Another example was a semi-famous steak house and the TVs were on. We asked to be seated where we would not have the TV inflicted on us, and they had no such seating.

Well, all I can gather from that is perhaps you are absolutely right in not eating there. My guess would be the TV's are to distract you from the food which may not be up to par. :unsure: :eek: :ROFLMAO:

I notice owners sitting and watching the TVs. Instead of participating in the business. And, let me say, there are very few and very far between, actual GOOD restaurants and nail salons, here in the PNW. I've tried to figure out if it is because no one cares or if it is a matter that they simply do not know any better?

They have too many TVs at McKibbins in Pointe-Claire, QC. There are plenty of places to sit and eat without TV. It is an Irish Pub, so lots of folks go there to drink and maybe snack, especially while watching sports. We aren't big hockey fans (I know, sacrilege in Canada), so we don't always realize that there is a game on some evening and have been caught by that when going to McKibbins. Even though we will get a seat in a booth, away from the TVs, the noise from the hockey fans is LOUD.

Aargh, Google is telling me that there is suspicious activity in my Google Pay. So, for my safety, they have locked me out of my Google account. They did this last month too. They say there is suspicious activity on my Windog computer. So, I installed Avast and ran scan (recommended before trying to recover my account). Avast didn't find anything. So, I hopped through the hoops and recovered my Google account, again. :glare:

Then I checked the activity in my Google Pay account. Three items: a long time ago I added $10 for long distance calling. It charged a cheap, by the minute, rate that was convenient for me. I don't make many long distance calls, especially outside of Canada, so a plan that charges me monthly for a cheap or free rate would be more expensive. They discontinued that service about five years ago. I also bought two apps for my phone using it. That's it. That's all. So, I never updated that credit card when it expired. I figure I'll update it if I need Google Pay for anything. I have a "critical alert" in Google Pay. I have a $0.14 credit and I need to update my CC info so they can make the refund. They have told me about that before. I cannot be arsed to do anything to get a $0.14 refund. I most certainly will update my CC info so that it can be used, especially when they say there is suspicious activity. Why would I want to make it possible to use that account when it might be a hacker? I have a feeling that Google trying to give me that danged refund is the suspicious activity.

So, taxlady is in a foul mood. I hate having to spend hours dealing with shite like this. It's also making me aggravated enough that I know that it will take forever to fall asleep. I'll wait until I am calm enough to go to bed and just fall asleep. /end rant.

Had a brief power failure this morning. Lasted a little over an hour. Now I have to go reset all the clocks to the correct time.

Had a brief power failure this morning. Lasted a little over an hour. Now I have to go reset all the clocks to the correct time.
Oh, sorry about that! The only ones I have to reset after power failure are the oven and the microwave. All the others either set themselves (some from our phones) or are on batteries! The RV is the same, just have to reset the microwave clock.

Bummer. I remember that. Nowadays we only have the microwave and oven clocks to reset. All the 'puters and mobile devices update their time via the internet and the wall clocks either run on batteries or have battery backup for the time.

We live in a restaurant desert, and I accept that. But why, oh why can't fast food places offer what is on the menu? I had been in the kitchen all morning and dear husband offered to go to Subway. In the last two months we have gone there three times, and each time they were out of something or couldn't do something. First, only white bread because an oven wasn't working, and they couldn't even toast the bread. Then, they had no banana peppers. And today, they were out of lettuce.
Sorry, can't fall back on the "it's the supply chain" excuse any longer.

I sympathize with you, @Marlingardener! It is very similar up here in the PNW! We have a "chain" of Asian fast food places and each one does things different. I'm guessing that they buy or subscribe or something to the name and then they just do what they want? I prefer my pot stickers steamed...some do it and others will not. The soups are always different. And so on...

Amen! My favorite restaurant has the best seating for me (need high, bad knees) in their bar-adjacent room, but it's line with televisions, so I won't sit there. Once I was sat in the bar in Applebee's and their tvs were showing videos of old people falling down and having accidents. Not cool!

Pet peeve: Hang up the phone and pay attention to what you are doing!! Driving, walking, shopping, dining, banking and on and on!! These days, it seems like everyone is on the phone! Young, old and everywhere in between! The worst part is, it seems like folks need/want to speak a bit loud(er) when on the phone than they otherwise would in a conversation. It is annoying and sometimes dangerous too.

I had a favorite hot dog "stand" down in L.A. There was a large sign on the door and by the menu on the wall that said something like, take your phone calls outside. No cell phone conversations inside. Here, our local post office has a sign something like, "Happy to help you when your phone conversation is done."

Cell phones are right up there with TV's in public places, for me!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom