My Mom Only Used A Little Water

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
@dragnlaw Here's a photo, showing the steamer underneath the pressure canner, on the shelf above. I had to pull it out, and turn the lid up - when I designed those shelves, that one was for the lid inverted on top, and it won't even fit back on the shelf! You can see the size, compared to the canner, above.

I haven't been at all concerned about using it for the steaming - it holds a lot of water in the bottom, as you can see, and seals fine. Not the kind of thing I would think you need safety testing on, like pressure canners.
Chinese steamer, Presto pressure canner above. by pepperhead212, on Flickr

Last edited:
I really wanted a steam canner when I started to can on my own. However, they were not approved for use back then, and worries of safety caused me to avoid them. Am glad to see they have received approval!

Pepper, how do you know that your steamer is holding temperature and venting properly? Is there somewhere that you can see a "... A full 6-8” column of steam will flow ..."? so you know when to start timing and that it is still hot enough inside the steamer?

If I get interested in canning again, I think I would opt for this method. It must take less time to start boiling. There is a lot less water to have to get to the stove and to empty afterwards. Also, I imagine that for people who don't want huge, heavy pots of water on their glass top stoves, this would be much better.

How have you been enjoying using this method? Did you used to can in a big water bath canner?
Yes,, less time, water and hassle. I've only used it a few times, unfortunately. I just haven't been feeling energetic enough for projects like this or gardening energy to accumulate enough produce. It does work very well if you have the discipline to break down the steps and do them on different days. We have two fridges and a standup freezer, so I use those.

Pepper, how do you know that your steamer is holding temperature and venting properly? Is there somewhere that you can see a "... A full 6-8” column of steam will flow ..."? so you know when to start timing and that it is still hot enough inside the steamer?
No, but it vents steam strongly, and when I first wanted to test it, I put a thermometer with an external reader (the kind for an oven or grill, and that thing held the temp at 212°, with no problem. And it actually returned to the temp faster than in a water bath, after I put a couple of jars in, with just water, to test. Probably easier and quicker to get the steam up to temp than all that water, with the temp reduced by the jars.

The main reason I haven't used this method much is because I use mostly quart jars. Which is why I want to try it in my canner, with some metal spacers under the shelf.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom