Looking for some easy vegan recipes

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Hi maja!

This is me... A bowl hearty vegetable stew served on rice or grain. Flavors would mirror known likes.

By hearty stew I mean every veg. I have. I would use Marmite as primary source of salt instead of using all white salt. I would probably include a roasted veg. for the flavor, like roasting the Peppers or Aubergines. Charred onion is another good one for me.

I would pick a grain like bulgar wheat or Buckwheat Groats (Something with some chew). The easiest would be couscous and lead me to Harissa and north African spices. I would not use white rice...

If you don't like the broth aspect, same veg. and grain done as a stir fry.

Here are a few ideas for your flavoring desires...

Asian versions- use that nub of fresh ginger, soy sauce, toasted sesame oil, Green Onions, Coconut milk, etc.

Mexican version- A toasted corn chip or two broken into the broth to disintegrate for the flavor, Adobo, Chipotle, Oregano, Fresh/dried Chiles, Fresh Lime, etc.

Italian- Basil, Oregano, Garlic, Tomato, pasta or beans, Parmesan, pesto, etc

Greek- Fresh Lemon, Orzo, Spinach, Feta, Olives, Capers, etc.

Arabian/North Africa- ras el hanout spice blend, harissa, Cumin, cinnamon, Coriander seed, etc.

India- curry powder and diced Apples, Coconut milk, Yogurt, etc.

Cuban- Black beans, Oregano, Cumin, Sofrito, etc.

Poland- Mushrooms, potatoes, Marjoram, Cabbage, etc.

Just have some fun with it and remember... You can always add more, but it's tough to recover from "Oops, I added too much"!

There is a whole section for Vegetarian and Vegan queries and recipes. Take a quick scroll here and see if you can't find something that might suit your friend.
Plus your friend should be very happy to help you create something to eat. There are many that would, and do, satisfy even non vegans!

First thing that comes to mind is a Burrito ( with Mexican rice, refried beans and guacamole , shredded lettuce , salsa). It's easy if you buy all the stuff to put in the tortilla, but more difficult if you're making everything.

An avocado toast is simple and nice. Not out of this world, but good.

My vegan friend is visiting this weekend, and I have no idea what to make. Could you suggest some easy and delicious vegan recipes?
Above you have 3 great suggestions.
We eat whole food plant based, which is essentially vegan with no ultra processed foods.
When I'm looking for inspiration I find recipe sites like the following 2.

This one has so many colorful dishes, some comfort foods, some fresh mixed with cooked. https://www.feastingathome.com/vegan-dinner-recipes/
And for more fresh bowls, or mixed plates I like this site: https://www.masteringdiabetes.org/recipe/

In a general way I start with raiding the produce department at the best grocery store that has a good produce department, pick up frozen or canned veggies to fill in the missing spots. Especially if I'm working from a recipe. Add some seasoned tempeh, or tofu or add legumes for protein. Include a bread, grain, or starchy vegetables like potatoes to round out the meal. For a meal I try to use 1/2 vegetable/fruit, 1/4 protein sources, 1/4 starches for a balanced meal. Avocado, nuts, or seeds can provide a little natural goodness to the sauce or dressing. Spices, herbs, nutritional yeast, miso, soy sauce, lemon, ac vinegar give the sauce it's character and identity.

I hope your meals work out well for everyone.

Back
Top Bottom