Jazz Day Dinner - 4/30/2018

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

tenspeed

Executive Chef
It's International Jazz Day https://jazzday.com/ , which wraps up Jazz Appreciation Month Jazz Appreciation Month | National Museum of American History Earlier this month we attended a concert by the Airmen of Note, the USAF 17 pc. jazz band. If you appreciate big band jazz, it's one of the best concerts you'll see (and it was free!)

Time to think New Orleans, but a lot of those ingredients aren't available here in New England. I'll be doing shrimp and corn gumbo, with baguettes to help mop it up. Green salad on the side.

Love big band jazz.. My brother was a drummer and I was fortunate to witness some great Jazz bands in my younger years..

Making today Meatloaf Monday.. Sides to be decided upon later..

Ross

I have a meeting tonight so we'll eat whatever individually. I may just do a couple of hot dogs with sauerkraut brown mustard.

I made a pot of meatballs and sauce yesterday.

Today I will portion it for the freezer and have some for dinner with a salad.

Perfect timing, today is cold and rainy tomorrow we start a string of days with summer temperatures.

I'm planning on making a chuck roast (pot roast style) with baby bella mushrooms tonight in the IP. Not sure if I will go with mashed potatoes and steamed carrots cooked on the stove/micro or do them stew style in the pot. But things can always change.

You can always make gumbo. Either chicken or shrimp is great and no exotic ingredients needed. Cajun comfort food. Easy and delicious. Also, forgiving once you learn how to make the roux.

I have a beautiful eggplant, with other fresh veggies and lots of frozen raw shrimp so I'll be putting together a colorful and healthy Shrimp Ratatouille tonight.

I'm bummed my favorite (do everything) AllClad 3 qt saute pan has gone back to the company for replacement. How did I ever get by without that pan?

I didn't like jazz decades ago. Made me nervous. I mentioned that to a friend of mine who worked as a DJ and had a personal album collection numbering over 1,000. (This was back in the early 1970s) He said "that's because you aren't listening to good jazz". :LOL: Turns out it was modern jazz I didn't like. I'm OK with the more bluesy style jazz, though. If I were in N'awlins, I'd probably be happy with any jazz as long as I had a mug of Cafe du Monde in front of me and a beignet in my hand. :yum:
...Time to think New Orleans, but a lot of those ingredients aren't available here in New England...
Such as? It was like that when I first tried cooking Cajun or Creole, but even the Market Basket by us is carrying andouille sausage now. I haven't noticed tasso ham, but my taste buds are OK with that.

My "jazz hands" will be making mixed greens salad, chicken breasts with preserved lemons and green olives, parsley-butter orzo, and steamed broccoli.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BatoXPSA3HQ

I got to listen to lots of great jazz while a student at the University of North Texas -- the premiere Jazz Studies school in the country. The One O'Clock Lab Band gave free concerts in the Student Union once a week.

I'm going to toss something on the grill. I haven't decided what, yet. I do have some boudin from Bruce's Market Basket in Groves, Tx. I worked there in High School. They make their own boudin and sausages, including andouille. They sell tasso, too, but I make my own.

CD

I had dinner tonight already planned, so no N'Awlins eats here.

I'm making American-style Greek gyros with a recipe from Serious Eats, with my own tzatziki sauce and I'll fry the last package of Halloumi cheese I got on clearance a few months ago.

Certainly no jazz here. Bibimbap. You can't really see it but there is ground beef under all those veges and egg in the bowl. Bibimbap sauce made with gochujang on the side, so it can be as spicy as youwant. Soju as a beverage.

Attachments

• 2018-04-30 18.36.21.jpg
    2018-04-30 18.36.21.jpg
    79.5 KB · Views: 127
  • 2018-04-30 18.36.45.jpg
    2018-04-30 18.36.45.jpg
    55.8 KB · Views: 89
I was cold, so I opted for extra broccoli instead of salad. Himself saved all the extra broccoli for me - he doesn't like it as much as I do. :LOL: He did take a generous second helping of the chicken, though. I guess my adaptation of a different recipe worked out.

Attachments

• 20180430_215334.jpg
    20180430_215334.jpg
    51.2 KB · Views: 104
I have a beautiful eggplant, with other fresh veggies and lots of frozen raw shrimp so I'll be putting together a colorful and healthy Shrimp Ratatouille tonight.

I'm bummed my favorite (do everything) AllClad 3 qt saute pan has gone back to the company for replacement. How did I ever get by without that pan?

I served the dish on top of Cous Cous I had in the pantry for ages. Now I remember why it's been in the pantry for ages. :sick:

Last edited:
We had repeat salad from last night.

Didn't get a picture of the salad but I did get a picture of dessert.
Pineapple, nectarine, grapes and strawberries, splash of lemon juice and a drizzle of honey.

fruit_043018_IMG_4094.jpg

Last edited:
Well, Jazz day’s over, but I’d try maybe frog legs sautéed in garlic with lots of black pepper, rosemary and bit of Cajun spice, served over rice pilaf with a side of fried green tomatoes (I can never find green tomatoes, though!) or sautéed collard greens with bacon.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom