It's apple season, which of these are decent for cooking with?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Which of these three types of apples would you recommend for mostly cooking and baking?

• Mcintosh

Votes: 1 50.0%
  • Spartan

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Cortland

Votes: 1 50.0%

• Total voters

taxlady

Chef Extraordinaire
Moderator Emeritus
Voila, one of the supermarkets that I buy from online has a special on locally grown apples. It's four pounds of apples. Since I don't have much space in my fridge, I won't be eating those fast enough for them not to go off, unless I cook or bake with them. I just don't get the urge to eat an apple on its own very often.

Cortland and Spartan are probably best for baking. They hold their shapes fairly well. Could only click on one but either of those two.
Macintosh are good for eating out of hand or making apple sauce.

I actually like cooking with sweet apples, like the Honeycrisp I used for this apple/maple glaze for pork tenderloin. I don't bake, so don't know what I would bake a pie with.

1728066210237.jpeg

CD

Aside from the fact that some apples hold their shape in cooking and some disintegrate. Buy according to the taste you like. Very sweet to tart. You can cook with any apple.

I use an aunt's recipe for apple pie. First time I made it it was delicious. Then I tried it with different apples. Didn't like it as much.

Back
Top Bottom