In your opinion. how would the cookbooks of the future be like, for example ten years from now?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I have enough that I don't need any more! :ROFLMAO: Seriously, though, it all depends on who it is being written for - just like now, there will be countless types of cooks out there, and the demand for all those different cookbooks will be there, but how many will still want a paper book? More and more are switching to looking at a phone for recipes (with a lot of recipes out there we won't mention!). And I'm sure someone is trying to come up with something where they can say "Alexis, fix me a Chinese dinner."

I have enough that I don't need any more! :ROFLMAO: Seriously, though, it all depends on who it is being written for - just like now, there will be countless types of cooks out there, and the demand for all those different cookbooks will be there, but how many will still want a paper book? More and more are switching to looking at a phone for recipes (with a lot of recipes out there we won't mention!). And I'm sure someone is trying to come up with something where theyS can say "Alexis, fix me a Chinese dinner."
Sad, but true I suppose. After two traumatic house moves, I was forced to reduce my cookbook collection from over 200 to just about 20. (The ones I just could not part with.) And I still love to just have an occasional trawl through for a recipe now. But if you just want something specific, it is so quick and easy to go online, or of course - come here! I feel like a lot of recipes now are based on time, (how long they take) because we are so short of it. But actually if you put something in the oven (or the slow cooker) for a long time, what better time to gather family around while the food cooks? Just doesn't seem to be okay for people now (to wait I mean.)
Recipe books for the future? Break them into "Gathering Type" - Solo/Duo/Small Family/Friends/Party/Celebration. With lots of options to suit as many as possible. (Not going to happen I know - just wishful thinking!)

You can rearrange the content. You can sort the recipes by ingredients. You can sort the recipes by region. You can sort by technique like stew or fry

They'll self scale including for baking.

You can query the stores in your area for specialty ingredients by tapping the ingredient in the list.

You'll link the recipe to your oven so it preheats, drops temp if needed at the right time. You can look at the dish without opening the oven, on your phone or on the oven screen.

I already use a lot of ebooks...

While I don't think we will have Star Trek style replicators ten years from now, cookbooks for replicators could get very interesting. There would be the ones that aren't really human readable. Just feed it into the replicator and the exact same dish as the recipe (formula) is for. Or there might be a version that simply replicated all the ingredients in the amounts needed for however many servings, so you could still cook it, but you would know that you always had all the ingredients on hand and there would be no waste, well, if you don't burn the food or do something else untoward.

Something that shows an ingredient list with the methodology, a story by the author is a bonus and pictures are nice to look at, but I don't need anymore coffee table cookbooks, just the facts.

I not only like to see the picture if I haven't made it - I like to see it in colour.
I have 2 printers - one is a monochrome laser and the other has colour. The colour printer is upstairs - so I often print monochrome as I want it right away. I'm never happy with it and will often go back later and reprint with colour.
Waste of paper? Not really, as I use the backs for art practice or just a scribble pad.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom