I have smoked paprika that isn't very smoky. . .can I smoke it to get it more smoky?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

BAPyessir6

Senior Cook
I bought a bulk (8 oz) of smoked paprika powder from a source I got from before, but this time it just isn't nearly as smoky as I'd like it (I can barely taste any smoke at all). I ordered from another source, hopefully it's better, but I was wondering. I have a smoker! Could I dump the paprika powder into a pan and like. . .smoke it on a really low temperature to get it more smokey, like if I close all but 1/8 inch of my vents on my WSM smoker? Or would the direct heat of the smoker burn it? Would I need to indirectly smoke it or something, or is this all just a pipe dream?

I don't know all the ins and outs of smoking but isn't there a cold smoking method? Someone must have some experience with cold smoking.

I don't know all the ins and outs of smoking but isn't there a cold smoking method? Someone must have some experience with cold smoking.

Yes, and I've done it a few times on a WSM like the one BAPy has. I used to smoke these on mine.

You just need a heat source, like a hotplate (I used a cheap soldering iron), some wood chips (dry), and a pan (I used a coffee can with holes poked near the bottom for air, and for the soldering iron to go through).

That will generate smoke, while making very little heat. I used to do this on cold winter nights for cheese, and the cheese didn't melt at all.

As for whether it will work on paprika, I don't know, but it seems like it should. It should do the job pretty quickly, maybe 30 minutes?

CD

I've never tried smoking paprika, or other powder, but I did try to make my own chipotles, both from fresh and dried jalapeños, and other peppers, but even after a 3 or 4 day long, low heat smoking, I couldn't get anywhere close to the commercial chipotles or moritas.
And I've had problems like you are having with the lack of much smoke flavor in pakrika, sometimes the same brand I've liked before. You can try low heat smoking, and spread the powder out on a plate, and maybe the smoke will permeate most of it.

I've never tried smoking paprika, or other powder, but I did try to make my own chipotles, both from fresh and dried jalapeños, and other peppers, but even after a 3 or 4 day long, low heat smoking, I couldn't get anywhere close to the commercial chipotles or moritas.
And I've had problems like you are having with the lack of much smoke flavor in pakrika, sometimes the same brand I've liked before. You can try low heat smoking, and spread the powder out on a plate, and maybe the smoke will permeate most of it.

I've smoked and dried jalapeños before for chipotles, and they have come out okay. I am going to toast and grind some up tomorrow with some anchos to make a new batch of chili powder. I start with fully ripe (red) jalapeños, smoke them at a low temperature for a couple of hours (200F or below), then put them on a rack to completely dry, which takes a day or two depending on the humidity of your house.

I didn't have my pellet smoker then, so the temperature fluctuated. Just don't let the temp get high enough to burn the peppers.

CD

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom