How to make tasty brown rice?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Like with white rice, it's all what you put with it! What type of thing are you looking for?

Sometimes, with brown rice, as well as whole grains, I dry roast/toast them in a skillet, to add some flavor to them. And rice is often cooked some in butter or oils in recipes, before things like onions are added, though that won't add as much flavor as dry roasting them, in my experience.

i don't want it to be too tough
i want it to have a lot of taste

can't i roast then wash in cold water?
i've heard it a good idea to wash rice

The only rice I cook is brown rice. I find that it has more flavour than white rice to start with. I often eat it with just butter or tamari or both.

I have not had very good luck making pilaf with brown rice. I find that frying the rice in oil makes it a bit water proof, so it takes forever to cook it. Frying the cooked rice does give it good flavour. I like sprinkling sesame seeds on the rice before frying it so the sesame seeds get roasted fried in the process.

For most brown rice I just use 2 parts water to one part rice, by volume. I wash the rice before I cook it. I add about 1/2 teaspoon of salt. I have tried leaving it out and I don't like the texture of the rice as much without the salt.

I bring the rice to a boil in a heavy pot. When it starts to boil, I turn the heat down a smidgen, so it is still boiling, and let it boil for 5-10 minutes. Then I turn the heat down to a simmer and put a lid on it. It is usually done in 45 - 50 minutes. All the water will be absorbed and the rice will be ready. With brown basmati rice (which starts with even more flavour), it is usually ready after 35 minutes in my experience. I have accidentally cooked brown basmati rice for an extra half an hour and it was fine.

I make brown basmati rice and it smells kind of like popcorn when it cooks. We both like that scent in the air.
I bring a lot of water to a boil, add the rice, stir it and set the timer for 26 minutes, and then drain it and cool it. We almost always serve it with some kind of a garlic sauce or garlic ginger sauce or stir fry sweet sour sauce, plum sauce.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom