Hi! Came here to learn cooking

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
My typo's occur most recently with my long finger has an arthritic bend that just developed in the past year. I have to go back over everything and remove all the extra "d's" inserted as I don't even feel it happening.

I simply type fast. Lighting does not matter. I don't watch or glance at keys.
I learned to type in the 9th grade, and later in life have had lots of computer-related work so I'm the same. But I type on my phone and I tend to make errors doing that regularly, plus autocorrect can be downright hilarious at times!

I learned to type in the 9th grade, and later in life have had lots of computer-related work so I'm the same. But I type on my phone and I tend to make errors doing that regularly, plus autocorrect can be downright hilarious at times!
Autocorrect can be hilarious. I have seen collections of screenshots. I use Android and predictive typing, not autocorrect. It can still occasionally produce some pretty strange sentences.

I learned to type about 60 years ago. I have worked as a secretary and at other jobs that required typing, as well as having and using computers for 40 years (yes, I bought my first computer in 1983. It was an Osborne Executive.) Anyone else ever use a teletype machine? In any case, it's not a question of looking at one's fingers while typing, it's the not reading what appeared on screen that's the problem. Many of my typos are due to a stupidity with my computer and many modern computers. The keys with j and f are supposed to have a little raised bit, so you can feel when your fingers are properly on "home row". But, on my computer, I only feel those bumps if I use my fingernail to try to find them. They just aren't raise enough. So, sometimes I get tjos sprt pf npnsense (this sort of nonsense, but right hand shifted one key to the right).

The letters on my keyboard are mostly worn off, lol.
I hate when that happens. Sure, I can still type, since I only look at my fingers to place them or when I'm too lazy to sit up straight, I type one fingered. It happens when they make the key caps cheaply. The laptop I'm using now is three years old and the key caps are not fading because, the are made correctly. The letters are embedded in the plastic key cap. They aren't just printed onto the surface.

With each new computer you have to learn to place your fingers all over again. None of them are ever spaced the same.
With current computers, the numeric keypad is a standard too-narrow-to-touch-calculate. It doesn't see to change between 'puters. Have a look. The numeric keypad keys are narrower than the letter keys. Since I used to enter loads of numbers, I like to touch type number on the numeric keypad. It's hard to get it right with those danged narrow keys. grrr

Funny, I never noticed that taxy, but I use the number keypad a lot. Don't seem to have a problem with it.
I have a terrible time with the numbers above the letter keys - can't for the life of me remember them. But the side keypad... whizzzzz

Also the lighting in my bedroom is dim, so much of the time I can't see the keyboard (there are a few characters not completely worn yet). But it's this phone that causes me to make the most errors. Ah well.

Funny, I never noticed that taxy, but I use the number keypad a lot. Don't seem to have a problem with it.
I have a terrible time with the numbers above the letter keys - can't for the life of me remember them. But the side keypad... whizzzzz
Are you using a PC or a laptop? I don't know if they do that on PCs. I have thin fingers and they barely fit on the key pad. I can usually make it work, but I make a lot more typos than I did with the wider keys. This actually started before I retired. Tax returns and bookkeeping just sort of requires a lot of number entry.

This laptop has a back lit keyboard. I love it, but I still get typos.

msmofet, I just discovered not even a month ago that this laptop also has a back lit keyboard. I often use it late at night when 95% of my lights are off.

Talking of keyboards you can have a laugh at someones expense by flicking the keys off and changing with another letter. I was trying to do an email at work and kept typing wrong spelling. My son who worked for me got a great laugh out of it.

Russ

DH knew someone who had a bizarre problem. At work, his password worked fine when he was sitting down, but didn't work when he was standing up. It was a real head scratcher. Other people tried to figure out what the heck was going on. Then, someone noticed that some of the key caps had been switched around. The person with the problem was a touch typist, so he never noticed while sitting. But, when standing, he was a hunt and peck typist, so he was entering the wrong password.

I had few letters until I got the new laptop in July. I love the homing keys on this laptop. I really don't believe that I will wear them down. Like others, I learned to 10-finger type back in school. Likely one of the most useful classes ever.

I had few letters until I got the new laptop in July. I love the homing keys on this laptop. I really don't believe that I will wear them down. Like others, I learned to 10-finger type back in school. Likely one of the most useful classes ever.
Yeah, who would have guessed that learning to type on a manual typewriter, back in the day, was going to be so useful. I have no idea why I chose typing as an elective. I was very academically oriented. I majored in math and science in high school. I didn't think I would ever have a use for typing. But, darn, it's useful. I don't even think about it. I just think the words and my fingers do what they are supposed to do and the words appear on screen.

@taxlady I was also academically tracked and majored in math/science through college. Like you, I had a manual typewriter. I also had a boyfriend who typed 80 wpm on it! However, I wanted to go in a different direction but typing a page was taking me an hour or more to do. When I signed up for driver's ed, I noticed typing as a course that I could take prior or after driver's ed. I was going to be at school anyway, so I took typing. When I hit 60 wpm, I dumped the boyfriend, passed driver's ed, and drove off in my new direction. :) I still type about 70wpm corrected - which is a lot easier on the PC than on a manual typewriter. :LOL:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom