Hand surgery.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dragnlaw

Site Team
Staff member
Carpal Tunnel release on left hand. Also tendon release on 3 fingers same hand.
Walked in the door at 10:30 - was home by 12 noon.
Have to keep hand elevated but VERY difficult to type/poke with one hand. Fingers are still numb... LOL and it's only 1:12 pm.. have a couple of hours to go before the achies/ouch/groans starts.

I hope the ouchies aren't too screamingly bad once the numbness wears off, and that you have a quick and successful result.

I also hope you are not left-handed! [The exclamation mark is because I am right-handed and losing the use of my right arm and hand - only my brain doesn't seem to remember and automatically sends messages to my arm to do things.]

I hear you all and Thank You so much for the good wishes.
This is not my first rodeo, the right hand was done many years ago. Healing was quick ans relatively painless (at least that's how I remember it :unsure:). But this time 3 fingers also done, hmmm, might be a different story :D .

Phaedra, had my right shoulder (torn rotator) done also, only about 5/7 years ago - motion to get back was very very long and difficult.
Both shoulders still torn and bad but bones are too arthritic to do anything more about it now - learn to live with it is the prescribed medication.
I pray what ever your diagnosis is, a curable, or at least soon to be livable procedure is on the horizon.

Meanwhile, keep on sending all those wonderful leftovers to me. Did I forget to post my address?

dragnlaw - I have spinal cord damage from an accident about 30 years ago and have quadriparesis. So what with that, severe arthritis and osteoporosis - plus very old old age, things are just wearing out, one after the other! I am lucky in that I can still look after myself and my small dog, but typing is difficult now and I can't give up my computer as it is my only window to the outside world.

Oh My Phaedra! Hugs and more hugs for you! Although mine is neuropathy along with the arthritis, osteoporosis, old age I also am lucky in being able to still look after myself and dog. Once I have healed my typing sshould come back.
I am still mobile and still drive so I sure am not complaining. but I don't know what I would do without my computer - nor for that matter ... right here with Discuss Cooking and several internet friends!

Sending healing vibes, Dragn. Are you / will you be wearing a brace while healing?

Sadly, I have discovered that healing often takes longer as I age.

Carpal Tunnel release on left hand. Also tendon release on 3 fingers same hand.
Walked in the door at 10:30 - was home by 12 noon.
Have to keep hand elevated but VERY difficult to type/poke with one hand. Fingers are still numb... LOL and it's only 1:12 pm.. have a couple of hours to go before the achies/ouch/groans starts.
Might be time to try using audio data entry ?

Best wishes for quick healing. Take care of yourself ♥

might try audio again, been along time since. but if you suddenly 'hear' me swearing at the cat for knocking my coffee... :ROFLMAO:

been wearing a brace off and on for years, taxy, but to answer your question specifically, yes, as soon as the boxing glove bandage comes off and the swelling comes down.

I can just imagine that - swearing at the cat for knocking your coffee! With me you'd hear my 7.4kg "guard" dog giving a running commentary about what is going on, even though I am sitting just next to the open door and can see for myself! I've never tried audio but my view is that if I don't keep typing I'd lose the use of the fingers on my right hand completely.

Oh my stars, you poor thing! I do hope that you heal perfectly, and quickly. DC, with even your temporary absence, wouldn't be the same.
Shall I send you some of my "kill or cure chicken soup"?
p.s. no one had died yet.

might try audio again, been along time since. but if you suddenly 'hear' me swearing at the cat for knocking my coffee... :ROFLMAO:

been wearing a brace off and on for years, taxy, but to answer your question specifically, yes, as soon as the boxing glove bandage comes off and the swelling comes down.
I don't have carpal tunnel syndrome, but I used to get an inflamed right wrist. I still have the braces. Had to get one for my left hand too, because it was doing so much of the work, like anything that would get a hand wet. It wasn't used to the work out. I have switched to using a touch pad instead of a mouse. I don't really like the touch pad, but I prefer it to getting that inflamed wrist. I haven't had the inflamed wrist since I got strict with myself about not using the mouse.

Yes, heal fast. I also had a shoulder surgery, and I am hoping to avoid wrist surgery. I've had way too many surgeries, but the shoulder surgery was by far the worst as far as recovery goes. I had already had neck surgery where vertebrae were fused and, while recovery took time, it was not as horrid as the shoulder recovery. Range of motion is blessedly back now, but not a happy memory.

Phaedra, I agree 100% with keep on typing. Plus, audio would need a lot of editing with " I'm having -arf arf - trouble with - arf yip yip arf - this sauce."
Marlingardiner, yum... all meals accepted. (I have a few in freezer but will always accept more)
taxy, funny thing when I had the carpal tunnel done on my right wrist quite a few years ago, I was supposed to have the left wrist done after. Never did as the pain went away... think it was having sympathy pains with my right wrist. And I hate the touch pad! Think it was the invention of the devil! Things disappear, pages change, never to be found again. Nope, using my mouse does hurt my shoulder but rather that than the frustration of the loss.
Thank You Kgirl, not to worry, I've always been a fast healer. Already this morning the swelling is down by alot. The freezing was wearing off by 8 - 9 pm last night, except my thumb - that only 'defrosted' around 4 am.
Back at'cha Kathleen. worst operation ever. Don't have full range or at least I do with moving, but can't be holding anything. Like I can lift my arm up to the cupboard, but I can not lift a plate up to the cupboard,
nothing past elbos/shoulder height. PITA!

So this mornings' update is: swelling is down, aching down a bit.
Slept well considering Maya needed to go out at 3:30 am but then I had a huge cocktail of various coloured pills :-p so went straight bac to sleep, poof! Now that step is over, typing is much much easier. After all, I'm supposed to exercise motion.:D

dragnlaw - I hope your hand is feeling a lot better today. Raising my right arm, or even reaching out, is one of the things that my brain forgets that the arm will not do, so it's a good thing there's only de dawg to hear me! Trouble is I can't really hold anything properly and have reverted to childhood with plastic plates and bowls [not disposable plastic, I hasten to add], as I got a wee bit fed up with trying to sweep broken china and glass, while keeping de dawg away from it.

I was heart-broken when I had to give most of my cooking appliances away as they were too heavy to lift, but as there's just me to cook for I was able to find small versions of most things.

As for "arf yip yip arf" - de dawg might be small but she has a bark like a dog six times her size! She also has teeth to match!

56871065179c0385d275b32d87dce9fe.jpg

Back
Top Bottom