Hand surgery.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
A half hour after posting that my phone went... ding! you have an appointment in 10 minutes for hand sutures. WHAT!!!!
Grabbed my purse and coat, ran to the door... my son's van was parked in front of mine. No way out. Left a message at the Dr's - ain't gonna show.
Sent a text to my son saying I made a mistake and HE says... fob for van is in front closet. Well, ain't that sweet - so why the $%^&*(*&^% didn't you tell me! Doesn't do me much good if I don't know! :mad:
so I took them out myself, need help with the last 3 as they are tight.

Thanks Phaedra, help would certainly have been appreciated. My son was supposed to help last night but got family distracted. I finally just removed them myself this morning, remembered a dental hook with a twist that I have. The weight, once the point was slipped under, was just enough to clear a space for the tip of the scissors... DONE! A little tender deep inside but at least don't get that infernal pulling the sutures cause.

Thanks for asking taxy. Joints still a bit swollen but it will take time and exercise. Think full recovery might not be as fast as I'd hoped. :confused:

I had my patience tested, it seems I'm negative.

Here is where we differ. It has it's place, I don't deny. I will go at least once and maybe twice if I think it warrants. Aim me n the right direction and I'll take it from there. Certainly not perfectly, again I don't deny.

But I have to say any other time I've done PT, I've lasted usually only 2/3 times. Once for my shoulder I believe I went a record 4 times.

Edit: I know it will be recommended as the whole hand is quite weak. I was not expecting that. so as said, I'll go at least once.

Dragn, I'm glad to read that you will go at least once for PT. I'm a big fan. I have gone all the times recommended, when I needed it. They have those muscle stimulating machines and nice heating pads that someone else arranges exactly right for me. And, they have exercycles, which I used both times that I broke my kneecap. They have all sorts of nifty equipment.

Don't forget, it isn't supposed to hurt. Stop when it starts to hurt and go back and finish the reps later. Hurting is your body's way of telling you to stop. I have friends who have really set themselves back by continuing the exercise after it started hurting.

Thanks taxy, but for me it is a time thing. Have never had to use equipment as part of any rehab.

Between time and money - I was fine with the few times I went and so, in the end, was my shoulder.
I'll send you a pm of my breakdown in time and money. Don't want to bore the good folks here.

Have had carpal tunnel on both wrists, along with basal joint reconstruction on both thumbs. Both were wonderfully on target.

The basal joint reconstruction took care of some horrid weakness I had in both hands. Couldn't be happier and the recovery was short-lived and not very painful. Both thumbs are like new!! I was skeptical that threading a tendon into the place where my trapezium bone had been would be effective. Something squishy to replace something firm?! Here's a short explanation of the process: https://env4.northwell.edu/surgery/treatments/basal-joint-reconstruction-treatment-and-surgery

Couldn't be happier! Good luck with your hand surgery!!

Last edited:
Have had carpal tunnel on both wrists, along with basal joint reconstruction on both thumbs. Both were wonderfully on target.

The basal joint reconstruction took care of some horrid weakness I had in both hands. Couldn't be happier and the recovery was short-lived and not very painful. Both thumbs are like new!! I was skeptical that threading a tendon into the place where my trapezium bone had been would be effective. Something squishy to replace something firm?! Here's a short explanation of the process: https://env4.northwell.edu/surgery/treatments/basal-joint-reconstruction-treatment-and-surgery

Couldn't be happier! Good luck with your hand surgery!!
That's very interesting, about how they fix that. When did you have the surgery?

That reminds me of something I have seen in vet videos on FB. With some dogs who have a degenerated or damaged femoral head, they just remove the damaged part and the muscles take over. They don't have a connected hip joint, but it works.

Wow Katie, Thanks! I have had my right wrist done - it was a piece of cake. This of course, is left wrist, thumb, long finger and ring finger. Big difference.

Supposedly need my right wrist done again (?) and for sure my right thumb - especially now that my left has limited mobility - so of course, my right, being used more, is giving me grief - big time.

At the moment I am still using both hands (club like) to even lift a glass of water.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom