Garlic for 2024, one new variety this year

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
@Kathleen, a raised bed will be drier since the soil is a bit above ground. You might have better luck. I hope you get the new raised bed in.
I'm not sure what you would layer in to make sure you have good drainage, @larry_stewart and @pepperhead212 will probably know.
I put in our lettuce garden in a slightly raised bed, starting with evergreen bush branches (from pruning that year), lime, soil, compost, soil. If your soil doesn't drain well, you might need sand added?

I definitely had a few years of drainage problems ( among other things). I seem to have gotten I together , for the most part , this past year. These are the things I did, and didn't do, to fix the problem.

- I initially incorporated sand into the soil for extra drainage. Helped, but not enough, so I the following season I incorporated some perlite to again, help with drainage and also kinda fluff up the soil a bit so not compacted.

- In addition, I reduced how deep I planted ( probably from 6 inches to 2 - 4 inches). I figured, the deeper I planted, the more likely the bulbs were sitting in the wettest part of the soil.

- Another thing I noticed was that I heavily mulched the garlic with chopped leaves. This worked great to keep weeds from growing in the bed ( like %100 worked), but I think I maybe mulched too much, therefore , keeping the soil too wet.

- I also hand watered when I felt it needed it instead of having its on a regular watering basis. I actually did this with most the garden. This way I can water what is needed, when it is needed, and also shoot for the roots instead of getting ' rained on' from the sprinklers

- The final thing I noticed was I had 2 beds. One received more sun than the other. Not significant amount, but enough to notice. The sunnier location had dryer soil. Probably a combination from the more direct sun exposure, and that fact that the ones with the more sun exposure grew a little quicker, probably making better use of the water in the soil. At least that sounds kinda logical to me. Either way, they didnt get water logged. This year I am planting most ( if not all) of my garlic in that sunnier location. Rearranging things a bit to accommodate.

Back
Top Bottom