Frozen pizzas

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JustJoel

Executive Chef
I stopped buying frozen pizzas a long time ago. When you follow the directions on the box, the ‘za always comes out of the oven with a burned edge and cheese that’s way over cooked, while the center is under cooked, with the cheese barely melted.

But recently, I read an article about cooking store-bought frozen pizza on Reddit. It suggests thawing the pizza, adding extra ingredients and/or spices, then cooking it in a wicked hot oven on a pizza stone.

I had a coupon for the store brand that made it a very good deal, so brought one home. Guess what? It worked! Mark’s enjoying a slice now, although he did pull off the pepperoni; too spicy for him. Try it out for yourself!

As an aside, ATK rated frozen pizzas, and the results were very surprising! You can check it out here

We stopped buying and doctoring frozen pizza years ago.

I stopped buying frozen pizzas a long time ago. When you follow the directions on the box, the ‘za always comes out of the oven with a burned edge and cheese that’s way over cooked, while the center is under cooked, with the cheese barely melted.

But recently, I read an article about cooking store-bought frozen pizza on Reddit. It suggests thawing the pizza, adding extra ingredients and/or spices, then cooking it in a wicked hot oven on a pizza stone.

I had a coupon for the store brand that made it a very good deal, so brought one home. Guess what? It worked! Mark’s enjoying a slice now, although he did pull off the pepperoni; too spicy for him. Try it out for yourself!

As an aside, ATK rated frozen pizzas, and the results were very surprising! You can check it out here

When we have frozen pizza, I do cook it on my pizza stone, but I've never thawed it first, even when I add extra ingredients. It usually comes out just fine.

I eat mostly veggie pizzas. I don't like meat on pizza, unless it's one of my favorite pizzas, a Hawaiian, which has ham on it. We usually have pizza on the weekends. Sometimes we order out, sometimes we have frozen. My son loves his pepperoni, but I always get a veggie that's light on the sauce and light on the cheese. That's when I'm in the mood for pizza. I like pizza, but I don't love it.

When I doctor up a frozen pizza, my favorite extra toppings are onions and bell peppers. Might have to try letting it thaw first, though, to see how it works out.

PS - my newest love is cauliflower crust. I buy it frozen. I buy just the crusts and add all of my own stuff to it. It's called Caulipower.

Pizza always tastes best the next morning...

I completely agree. And I never zap leftover pizza in the microwave. I put it on my flat stove top griddle and cover the slices with foil. That traps the heat so the pizza gets hot clear through and the griddle crisps up the crust.

Haven't bought or eaten a frozen pizza in decades.n If I don't have the energy to make my own, I have one delivered.

Haven't bought or eaten a frozen pizza in decades.n If I don't have the energy to make my own, I have one delivered.

I enjoy making my own pizzas. I make the crust from scratch and then add my toppings. But I do like a frozen one now and then.

I'm okay with frozen pizza. If I'm not going to make one from scratch, I don't see a good brand of frozen pizza as any less than most delivery pizzas.

I have not had any problem cooking a frozen pizza right out of the freezer right on the center oven rack. I always have to cook it for longer than the directions say, but it cooks evenly.

CD

I normally use a pizza stone or even a pizza pan. I don't like baking it right on the rack, as in the past I've ended up with a few pizza ingredients that fall off the pizza and then I have to clean my oven.

I normally use a pizza stone or even a pizza pan. I don't like baking it right on the rack, as in the past I've ended up with a few pizza ingredients that fall off the pizza and then I have to clean my oven.

I put a sheet of aluminum foil on the rack below the pizza rack. It catches any drippings, and I can just toss it in the trash.

Do you preheat your pizza stone or pizza pan?

CD

I've never made my own pizza, but would love to buy a pizza stone and try it someday! :chef: As far as frozen pizzas, I can't remember the last time I bought one to doctor up - maybe a decade ago.

I order out for pizza when I want one and when I reheat the leftovers the next day rather than microwave, I do just as Linda mentioned and reheat the slices in a skillet on the stove top. :yum:

I've never made my own pizza, but would love to buy a pizza stone and try it someday! :chef: As far as frozen pizzas, I can't remember the last time I bought one to doctor up - maybe a decade ago.

I order out for pizza when I want one and when I reheat the leftovers the next day rather than microwave, I do just as Linda mentioned and reheat the slices in a skillet on the stove top. :yum:

Yes! Another fan of stove top pizza reheating.

That is *the* way to reheat pizza, as far as I'm concerned. A skillet, a stove top griddle, anything of that sort. So yummy.

Before you run out and buy a pizza stone try using a well-seasoned cast iron pan with a sprinkle of cornmeal.

I also reheat leftover pizza on the stove top in a cast iron frying pan. I smear a thin film of butter on the bottom of each slice to create a toasted crunchy texture to the crust.

These days I keep a box of Elio's frozen pizza in the freezer and bake a slice in the toaster oven or buy a slice at the grocery store deli. Times change.:mad::ermm::LOL:

Cheryl, should the urge to make homemade pizza overcome you, here’s a recipe for dough that is pretty much fool-proof. You can use it for just about anything pizza-ish; calzones, pizza bites, garlic knots. You get the gist!

It is a slow-rise-in-the-fridge dough, which kind of cancels out the speed and easy with which the dough comes together. But the dough is made in a food processor, so the actual hands on time is minimal. Make it on Monday for pizza on Wednesday (or Thursday or Friday. The longer you let it rise, the better the taste and texture).

New York Style Pizza Dough

I stand by my original post regarding frozen pizza.

Smith’s has individual pizzas on sale for a dollar each. The four cheese pizza’s not bad at all, as long as it’s doctored! I thaw it, add good pepperoni, mushrooms, onions, and garlic (and black olives and anchovies on my half), sprinkle it with oregano, thyme and basil, spritz or drizzle on some EVOO, and cook it on a pizza stone in a screaming hot preheated oven (500°F). It’s very nearly as good as takeout from a local pizzeria!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom