Eggplant

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
That sounds like about what they sell for around here, maybe a little more. I am always seeing them in fliers listed at $1.49/lb. However, I can't tell you the last time I bought an eggplant.

SOW, I just gave my eggplant "extras" to two friends today - one only took two, the other 7 plants - the same ones I planted! After I made sure the ones I planted were growing well, the rest went to my friends.

That sounds like about what they sell for around here, maybe a little more. I am always seeing them in fliers listed at $1.49/lb. However, I can't tell you the last time I bought an eggplant.

SOW, I just gave my eggplant "extras" to two friends today - one only took two, the other 7 plants - the same ones I planted! After I made sure the ones I planted were growing well, the rest went to my friends.
When she said eggplant, how much it costs, the first person I thought of was you @pepperhead212 . I almost made a comment about the good price at the pepperhead residence in the coming july or august. You put in a few months of seedling care, then 2-3 months of gardening care, the magically (or not really magically--more like work!), poof, eggplants! :giggle:

Ah well, I recently got some more sumac, so I may as well chuck some in! I think I prefer the idea of a dip with the Eggplant I just bought, than a traditional Moussaka. Don't want to ruin a whole dish! But if the dip is okay, it can be an introduction to a Moussaka with chopped up Eggplant.
You could try a simple stuffed eggplant with whatever you happen to have on hand added to the chopped eggplant removed from the shell.

1716026269539.jpeg

Breaded and fried and then the other best ever way to prepare is stuffed. I have a recipe for stuffing with shrimp, sausage and almost anything imaginable. First one I ever did was with shrimp and still remains my favourite.
Use a melon baller to remove the flesh. Leave enough flesh to support the skin while baking. Still delicious even if it collapses but looks prettier if it doesn't. :rolleyes:

Don't forget about SE Asian and other Asian dishes.
Eggplant is a sponge, takes up all flavours, so there gotta be something you like.
Unless you totally dislike the texture....

This is the one I useas a base, but I don't always got %100 by the recipe.

Mutabal is similar, just has added yogurt which gives it a creamier consistency and flavor.

Thank you Larry. The one by Kenji sounds good, but there is a lot of extra foofing with the grilling of the eggplant and draining it.

I have a great recipe for eggplant called Mulagnan a la Sicilian(pronounced Si-ja-lee-on) I copycatted from a little family restaurant on Lun Giland. Please be careful with whom you use the term 'mulignan'. In Sicilian it means eggplant, but in Italian it is a racial epithet. Believe me. I am Sicilian. I know these things!

Mulignan a la Sicilian​

Ingredients:
  • 2 medium sized eggplants
  • Kosher salt
  • ½ lb ground beef
  • ¼ lb ground pork
  • ¼ lb ground veal
  • 1 quart of homemade tomato sauce (no jarred or canned sauce, please)
  • 1½ cups of Ricotta Cheese
  • 1½ cups of grated Parmesan cheese
  • 2 cups of shredded mozzarella cheese, divided
  • 1 egg
  • Light olive oil
Instructions:

Preheatoven to 375oF. Lightly cover the bottom of a 13- x 9-inch baking dish (you can use ramekins to make individual servings) with tomato sauce.

Slice the eggplant about ⅛-inch thick. Place the slices on racks with paper towels underneath. Sprinkle both sides liberally with coarse salt and let stand fifteen minutes. Rinse thoroughly under cold running water, place on dry paper towels and pat dry.

While the eggplant is purging, combine the beef, pork and veal and brown them in light olive oil. Mix the ground meat with enough of yoursauce to create a thick "sloppy joe" consistency, heat through, and set aside to cool.

Combine the three cheeses and the egg in a large bowl, reserving ½ cup of the mozzarella.

In a non-stick skillet, lightly brown the eggplant slices in olive oil on both sides. The eggplant will really soak up the oil, so use it sparingly.

As they finish browning, organize the slices into sets of three ofapproximately the same diameter. Place one slice from each set of three in a single layer on the bottom of the baking dish. Divide ½ of the meat mixture and ½ of the cheese mixture evenly among the eggplant slices. Add a second eggplant slice from each set and add the remaining meat mixture, and the remaining cheese mixture among the second eggplant slices. Add the remaining eggplant slices,pour some of the tomato sauce over the eggplant slices, and coverthem with the reserved ½ cup of mozzarella. Cover the baking dish with aluminium foil.

Bake at 375F for 45 minutes, remove the foil, and bake for an additional 15 minutes, until the mozzarella is brown and bubbly. Let stand for 15 to 30 minutes. Serve with the remaining tomato sauce.

Last edited:
I'll be doing this version. Virtually identical, but with a few options for garnish (and it uses British/European measurements so a bit simpler for me.) https://www.themediterraneandish.com/baba-ganoush-recipe/
Did you get around to making the baba ganoush?

After asking Larry for a recipe and looking at the other ones posted and finding the one I used to use. I made baba ganoush today. I was doing something else in the kitchen when I saw the cooled, drained eggplant and decided to make the baba ganoush, even though I didn't have the recipe handy. I just added quantities that looked right and then tasted and adjusted. It tastes pretty darned good.

After asking Larry for a recipe and looking at the other ones posted and finding the one I used to use. I made baba ganoush today. I was doing something else in the kitchen when I saw the cooled, drained eggplant and decided to make the baba ganoush, even though I didn't have the recipe handy. I just added quantities that looked right and then tasted and adjusted. It tastes pretty darned good.
Glad it worked out. I probably never make it the same way twice, but use the recipe as a guide when making it. Lately I've been making the one that has a little yogurt in it. Very similar flavor, just a bit more creamy ( my wife likes it better which is the real reason I make it).

I like eggplant and use it a lot in ratatouille one of my staple veg dishes at home. Also I've been using eggplant in a couple of vegetarian and vegan dishes over the year which start with cutting them lengthwise then brushing them with olive oil then roasting them then filled and rolled roulade style.

I was used to calling this vegetable "aubergine" as the Brits do,using the French word, until I joined this site, realising you call it eggplant.
Anyway, it's one of my favourite Summer veggies, because there are an an enormous amount of recipes to play around with. My all time favourite will always remain the one and only "Parmigiana".:love:

Glad it worked out. I probably never make it the same way twice, but use the recipe as a guide when making it. Lately I've been making the one that has a little yogurt in it. Very similar flavor, just a bit more creamy ( my wife likes it better which is the real reason I make it).
I stirred a bit of ewe's milk yogourt into some of the baba ganoush. It did add a nice creamy touch. I will probably stir some more into the rest of it. I can use the extra calcium from the yogourt. Yes, there's already calcium from the tahini. I am cutting back on my calcium supplement, so I am working on increasing the calcium from my food.

Last edited:

Apologies for late response on this Taxy. So, what happened was, I only today got around to making the Baba Ganoush. I put it in a hot oven (halved as per the recipe I was following), and this was the result:
Dried out Aubergine.jpg

Suffice to say, there was nothing to make a dip with!

Here endeth any attempts by me to make anything with Eggplant! :ROFLMAO:

Attachments

• Dried out Aubergine.jpg
    Dried out Aubergine.jpg
    110.6 KB · Views: 3
Back
Top Bottom