Easy meals for when you just don't want to cook.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
It's not a blackout where no electricity is available. It's brown. We have some. We can rush AC but not at full speed. Ovens don't work. Lights are dimmer.

Well, there's DoorDash and other delivery type things too. But it just goes against my grain to use them. My sons have but nope, just can't do it.
That would also mean I'd have to tax my brain and figure out what I would want to order.

All of these are great ideas and I have used many of them when feeling lazy. This is the primary reason I bothered with a pressure canner. I've got a few jars of beef stew and soup that I can heat up quickly when I want something more for dinner but do not feel like cooking.

Forgot this one - one of my favourites...
1724355598797.png

If I have hamburger thawed, I just brown a pound of hamburger and then throw it in 2 boxes of Rice-a-Roni, either the chicken flavored one or the cheese one. I don't even bother to brown the vermicelli. Just throw it in all together with however much water the box calls for, bring to a boil, let simmer for about 15 minutes, and dinner is ready.

I can get lazier.

If I bring home babyback ribs from the supermarket, I'll put a little BBQ sauce on the bottom of the crock pot, put half a rack of ribs in, then pour the rest of the bottle over the ribs. Then I set the crock pot on low for 8 hours and the meat just slides off the bones. I can eat them with a plastic knife and fork.

While the ribs are cooking, I have the BBQ sauce bottle turned upside down so when the ribs are done, I have that extra sauce to put on them. This is my go to when it's too hot to cook.

And even lazier. I'll bring home one of those Hormel pork loins (the honey-mustard one is my favorite) and I'll put that on some aluminum balls in the crock pot on low for about 9 hours with a little water. I know pork loin is already tender but when it's done after 9 hours, I can also eat that with a plastic knife and fork and sometimes I don't even need the knife.

Electricity stops being available in parts of a city, or electric is rationed, or electricity is limited partially. The electric company may decide to request that customers don't use it for AC for instance in half the city, then on other days for the other half of the city.
Ah Okay.
I didn't know that happened in the States.
We got load shedding...
Meaning, sometimes you have power and sometimes not, with a weekly changing schedule.
Rumoured to go to 17 hours per day of no power by September 1st.

I run solely on solar. Purchasing that equipment is probably the best investment I made in the last couple of years

@Badjak that you have solar is awesome! I have a friend in WI that has solar and an aunt in utah that is completely solar. I'd love to have it if I could have confidence in the panels and they weren't over priced which they seem to be at the moment.

What is the Difference Between Blackout and Brownout?​

A blackout and a brownout are both types of power disruptions, but they differ in severity and impact:

Blackout:​

• Definition: A blackout is a complete loss of electrical power in a specific area.
  • Duration: It can last from a few minutes to several hours or even days, depending on the cause and how quickly it can be resolved.
  • Cause: Blackouts are often caused by severe weather events, equipment failures, or issues within the power grid, such as an overload or fault.
  • Impact: During a blackout, all electrical devices and systems that rely on power are inoperable, potentially leading to significant disruption in daily activities and business operations.

Brownout:​

• Definition: A brownout is a partial reduction in voltage within an electrical power supply system.
  • Duration: Brownouts are typically temporary and can last anywhere from a few minutes to several hours.
  • Cause: They are often caused by high demand on the power grid, leading to intentional voltage drops by utility companies to prevent a total blackout or an overload of the power system.
  • Impact: During a brownout, lights may dim, and electrical appliances may operate less efficiently or behave unpredictably. While not as disruptive as a blackout, brownouts can cause damage to sensitive electronic devices if they occur frequently or last for an extended period.

Ah Okay.
I didn't know that happened in the States.
We got load shedding...
Meaning, sometimes you have power and sometimes not, with a weekly changing schedule.
Rumoured to go to 17 hours per day of no power by September 1st.

I run solely on solar. Purchasing that equipment is probably the best investment I made in the last couple of years

The infamous "Big Freeze" of 2021 in Texas came from shedding loads, because the whole grid was on the verge of failing.

CD

Well, there's DoorDash and other delivery type things too. But it just goes against my grain to use them. My sons have but nope, just can't do it.
That would also mean I'd have to tax my brain and figure out what I would want to order.

I ordera pizza a few times a year. I've only used Uber Eats one time, when was in a hotel out of town, and had no rental car.

CD

If you're having brownouts, it's always a good idea to have a small flashlight in your purse or pocket. So handy if you're at the back of a store and the lights go phooey.

Yeah, phones are good for that. Especially when trying to see waaay into the back of a cupboard.
I have a flashlight from my ex. A long black rather heavy nightstick/flashlight. Love it - I can see to the far end of the garden on a dark night with ease. Will chase critters away and can knockout 2-legged ones with just a hefty tap. :LOL:

I have a Jackery solar generator, and a few compact, high lumen LED flashlights. I can actually run my fridge off the Jackery. I can run my laptop off it, and use my phone (charged by the solar generator) as a hot-spot and connect to the internet.

If you lose power a lot, look into a solar generator. I rarely lose power, but the solar generator is also great for camping.

CD

Can solar generators "store" power?
Heard recently Ontario has available solar panels for you house. It can store power for the months were you have more cloud than sun. Can charge your e-car, etc. That's all I know about it. Other than the initial outlay is probably steep but not prohibitive. Can pay for itself in 4/5 years?

Can solar generators "store" power?
Heard recently Ontario has available solar panels for you house. It can store power for the months were you have more cloud than sun. Can charge your e-car, etc. That's all I know about it. Other than the initial outlay is probably steep but not prohibitive. Can pay for itself in 4/5 years?

Yes. There are two parts. There is a high capacity battery, and solar panels. You can also charge the battery off home power (while you have it) or with your car.

1724529251156.png

CD

Back
Top Bottom