Question about hygiene in the kitchen - inappropriate hand washing

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
What bothers me more than the cook's personal cleanliness habits is seeing my host's cat wandering all over the kitchen counter as food is being prepared. I immediately lose my appetite.

another lost post from earlier...
One thing that I found helps - at least in my mind, is I have a hand towel to dry my hands, a dish towel for dishes and a dish cloth. All three get changed daily.
I do NOT dry my hands on the dish towel, nor dishes with the hand towel.

I use hot water, dish soap and elbow grease for cleaning everything. If I must, my go to is vinegar or, rarely, lemon juice.
As I use bleach with my carving eggs, I do not want that smell nor taste on my hands or anything else in the kitchen.
Andy, my cats used to have a tiny corner of a counter for their food (otherwise it disappeared as dog food). If at anytime they wandered on any other part of the counters - whether or not I was preparing food - a swift smack sent them flying across the kitchen. I can guarantee they didn't do it to often!
ln later years I was able to use a wide window sill in the laundry room where I was able to protect their food from the dogs. At that poiint they were banned forever from any kitchen counter. They knew where their food was and wasn't difficult retraining them.

that makes two posts in a row forgotten to hit "reply" where was I???

Do you have family or friends that you know are not hygienic while cooking and you refuse to eat anything they make? I'm just curious.
Here in India, people are not that concerned about hygiene and cleanliness. Street food is quite popular here, and I see people eating food of street vendors located across the sewer line. Even if a street vendor keeps their workplace clean, air and water pollution, dust and particulate matter in the air make it hard to eat healthy.

Here in India, people are not that concerned about hygiene and cleanliness. Street food is quite popular here, and I see people eating food of street vendors located across the sewer line. Even if a street vendor keeps their workplace clean, air and water pollution, dust and particulate matter in the air make it hard to eat healthy.
I've been to your country 3 times, love India, and one of the reasons is for the food which really means street food for the most part and have never fallen sick, maybe I'm lucky. Indian people aren't too concerned because they're use to it and most haven't fallen sick, so it's not that important to them generally speaking. Your right, the sanitation and living conditions are not ideal. People of India have become accustomed to this biologically, their immune systems have become accustomed to most of their local pathogens.

I follow a guy that is documenting and living among the Hadza tribe of Africa and hand washing isn't a thing unless it was to wash off the debris :w00t2: where most people would involuntarily give up their previous meal, not to mention the way food is prepared, cooked and served.

Over sanitizing is a thing and has biological repercussions that most people don't really understand but nevertheless, it is a reality, including washing hands too much.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom