Chicken skins

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

rodentraiser

Head Chef
Does anyone know what happens to all the skins that are on chicken breasts? I mean, it seems like there's tons of skinless chicken breasts being sold, so I'm wondering when and where the skins are taken off and where they end up. I forgot to ask at the store the other day.

Anyway, the reason I'm asking is, I had bought some half breasts with the skin on and I baked one a couple days ago in the oven. I just seasoned the chicken breast (and skin) with kosher salt and it was pretty good. While I was eating the chicken, I noticed that the skin kept sliding off the breast, so I finally decided to eat it by itself. And wow, was that good. I thought if I got a bunch of chicken breast skins, I would salt them and bake them and see how they turned out.

What do you guys think?

Does anyone know what happens to all the skins that are on chicken breasts? I mean, it seems like there's tons of skinless chicken breasts being sold, so I'm wondering when and where the skins are taken off and where they end up. I forgot to ask at the store the other day.

Anyway, the reason I'm asking is, I had bought some half breasts with the skin on and I baked one a couple days ago in the oven. I just seasoned the chicken breast (and skin) with kosher salt and it was pretty good. While I was eating the chicken, I noticed that the skin kept sliding off the breast, so I finally decided to eat it by itself. And wow, was that good. I thought if I got a bunch of chicken breast skins, I would salt them and bake them and see how they turned out.

What do you guys think?

Chicken skin "chips" are good. You can fry them or bake them. Let them dry for a while in the on a rack in the fridge for best crisping, if you have some fridge space. Otherwise, use paper towels to get them as dry as possible.

CD

Dang, Casey, that was fast. I hadn't even finished proofing my post! LOL

So they're called chicken chips, eh? Good to know. And thank you for the tip. I didn't know that.

Dang, Casey, that was fast. I hadn't even finished proofing my post! LOL

So they're called chicken chips, eh? Good to know. And thank you for the tip. I didn't know that.

I don't know if that is the name... actually, just did a quick look, and they are often called Chicken Cracklings. Like pork skin cracklings (Chicharrones), but chicken.

CD

I put the skin, along with any fat, in a skillet over medium low heat and let it render. Crispy skin chips are good with chicken noodle soup, chicken and dumplings, etc., as a garnish. The rendered fat, schmaltz, can be kept in a container in the refrigerator for anything you'd use bacon grease or lard for.

There is a poultry and produce farm near me. They have a huge display of all kinds of chicken options, including the skinless breasts, etc. If I get there around 10, they are still removing skins for the day. I've asked for whatever they have on hand, which they give me for free. I render it down with some onion to make schmaltz. I then have cracklins to use however I want including just munching.

One slight caution is that the onion will often keep the cracklins from crisping as much as it does when onion is not added.

If you have a butcher shop or place that processes their own meats, ask them to save chicken skins for you. Often the shop will simply give them to you as they generally just throw them away.

I looooooooooooooove poultry skin. And I've seen shorty videos on how to prepare the skins to turn them into 'chips', but I haven't done it yet. I'd probably eat the whole batch in one sitting. I love chicken skin baked, broiled, fried, grilled and I'll even eat it just boiled (used to boil chicken legs and thighs for my dog before he passed and I'd munch on some of the skin).

rodentraiser, that's a very good question. What DO they do with all that skin??? I'm guessing they toss it. And that's a shame. Do you know how many dogs would give their souls to have all of that? :chicken:

Heck, I'll take it and turn it into chips!

I looooooooooooooove poultry skin. And I've seen shorty videos on how to prepare the skins to turn them into 'chips', but I haven't done it yet. I'd probably eat the whole batch in one sitting. I love chicken skin baked, broiled, fried, grilled and I'll even eat it just boiled (used to boil chicken legs and thighs for my dog before he passed and I'd munch on some of the skin).

rodentraiser, that's a very good question. What DO they do with all that skin??? I'm guessing they toss it. And that's a shame. Do you know how many dogs would give their souls to have all of that? :chicken:

Heck, I'll take it and turn it into chips!
The skin chips are like Pringles. You can't eat just one. I will eat the entire batch if I don't strongly control myself while cooking the rest of dinner.

Last edited:
Jack Pepin spreads the skin flat on a baking pan, adds salt and pepper and bakes them in a hot oven. I've used this method and it works well.
Oh yes! I've seen that video. Thanks for the reminder, I had forgotten all about that.

Dangit, now I can't find the video. Did he use raw or cooked chicken skin?

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom