Can anyone recommend a good Chef Knife that isn't terribly expensive?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Linda... sliding a blade across the palm of your hand and splitting it open ... that always dulls a knife too! ;)
Actually, the guy in the store showing me, had limited movement in one hand. I took from the quickness of his action to correct me as maybe he had learned the hard way. :ermm:

Guess I should mention it is a hard plastic.
I like that snap one too.

It actually did NOT come with a sleeve. So looks like I have to buy one. I'll check into some, including the Victorinox knife safe.

I'll tell you what, though, I picked the knife up and never has a knife set so well in my hand before. It is *so* comfortable. All of my other knives feel fine, but a couple of you and all the reviewers I read weren't kidding - it fits my hand perfectly.

I'd just like to say that this is a great knife and cuts beautifully. However, I've already cut myself with it, but not from using it. Until I can get a sleeve for it, I have it stored in my utensil drawer, up against the far side, blade up (I'm afraid to put it blade down because I don't want to dull it). I was rooting through the utensil drawer to find my pie server when my right hand brushed against the knife and now I have 2 small slices on my middle finger. :rolleyes:

Just shows how sharp that sucker is and why I really need to cover it with something. So until I can purchase a proper sleeve, is there anything I can cover the knife with (that won't dull the blade) so this doesn't happen again? I suppose I can store it in another drawer, especially one that my son doesn't get into often, for obvious reasons. But, for now, I'd still prefer to cover it.

I'd just like to say that this is a great knife and cuts beautifully. However, I've already cut myself with it, but not from using it. Until I can get a sleeve for it, I have it stored in my utensil drawer, up against the far side, blade up (I'm afraid to put it blade down because I don't want to dull it). I was rooting through the utensil drawer to find my pie server when my right hand brushed against the knife and now I have 2 small slices on my middle finger. :rolleyes:

Just shows how sharp that sucker is and why I really need to cover it with something. So until I can purchase a proper sleeve, is there anything I can cover the knife with (that won't dull the blade) so this doesn't happen again? I suppose I can store it in another drawer, especially one that my son doesn't get into often, for obvious reasons. But, for now, I'd still prefer to cover it.
Maybe a thick cardboard, fold it over and cut it to shape and then staple the edge and use that as a temporary sleeve holder or until you can put a magnetic strip on the wall or get a decent block.

Maybe a thick cardboard, fold it over and cut it to shape and then staple the edge and use that as a temporary sleeve holder or until you can put a magnetic strip on the wall or get a decent block.
Thank you. I think for now I'll take your suggestion of the cardboard until I can find a better solution. Previously, others in this thread mentioned purchasing plastic or 'snap' covers for the knife. May look into those as well. I had just forgotten to check into it... until I cut myself this evening, lol.

The cardboard is exactly what I did with several knives I gave to some friend - just cut a piece of thick cardboard, 1/2" longer, and 1/2" wider than twice the widest part of the blade, so when folded in half, it would be 1/4" wider, then I put some heavy tape over the open edge, before putting the blade near the folded edge. The kid was very careful with it, and would take the knives into his bedroom, when finished (some people in his home didn't know how to take care of kitchen ware). I got him obsessed with sharpness, and he shows me how sharp he gets some knives he has worked on by shaving some hair off the side of his arm! I think the rest of his family is afraid to use his knives, which is a good thing!

You may find that cardboard just perfect. All my Rada knives came in the cardboard and I still use them.

and I still have not found my littlest Rada knife, the paring knife - but I found the cardboard cover! Empty! arghhh

You may find that cardboard just perfect. All my Rada knives came in the cardboard and I still use them.

and I still have not found my littlest Rada knife, the paring knife - but I found the cardboard cover! Empty! arghhh
You'd be surprised that a lot of cutlery and knives get thrown out by accident during cleanup, it happens all the time in a professional kitchen.

Yeah, I'm not ruling that out. But it is just me, in an extremely confined space but spread out. That doesn't make sense I know but...
But I'm usually a bit fanatical about my knives. Even if I forget exactly where I've put them, I know they are only in certain designated places.
LOL - usually!

I accidently tossed my beloved bird's beak paring knife once. Fortunately, it was found missing prior to trash day and my fella found it for me. I use it nearly daily so it would have been a huge loss for me. Although I have seen many bird's beak paring knives, I have never seen another like mine.

Maybe check out japanese chef knives?
Lots of beautiful knives, different styles, types and sizes

Maybe check out japanese chef knives?
Lots of beautiful knives, different styles, types and sizes

Yeah, Japan is known for making very expensive, "pretty" knives.

Personally, I'm not one to spend that much on a knife that's all about beauty, but I know where you are coming from. I am a car nut, and worked in the classic and exotic car industry, so I can appreciate a Ferrari (and have driven many of them). But, when it comes to what I want to own, it's going to be a German car that I can enjoy using daily. As a sports car, it's a Porsche for a third of the price, and I'm on my fifth Audi as a daily driver.

So, what does that have to do with knives?

Well, I admire some of the custom knives out there, and the Japanese craftsmen make some stunningly beautiful ones, but I have a drawerful of Victorinox Fibrox knives that I want to use on a daily basis to cook my food.

For a custom made knife, look at Bob Kramer. You can get some factory made Kramer knives from Japan starting at abut 500 bucks, and going into the $3,000 (?) range. But, If you want to go all the way, buy an original. Only available by auction -- good luck getting one (just like getting a new Ferrari -- good luck).

https://kramerknives.com/

CD

Last edited:
I'm in the market for custom cutlery and could use some advice. I'm looking to invest in a set of knives that not only perform exceptionally but also reflect my style. I've been researching various artisans and custom knife makers, but the options are overwhelming. I'm particularly interested in high-quality materials and craftsmanship. Could anyone recommend reputable custom knife makers or artisans known for their attention to detail and unique designs? Additionally, what factors should I consider when commissioning custom cutlery? Any insights or recommendations would be greatly appreciated.
Knives are only as good as the wielder. And what is your style?

To repeat pictonguy, who have you been checking out? What is a set to your way of thinking.

I have a full set of Sabatier knives in a block with a built in ceramic sharpener, but my real go-to knife is a 10 inch stamped steel chef's knife I picked up in a restaurant supply store for less than twenty bucks American. A few swipes on the steel and it cuts just as good as the day I bought it.

I have a full set of Sabatier knives in a block with a built in ceramic sharpener, but my real go-to knife is a 10 inch stamped steel chef's knife I picked up in a restaurant supply store for less than twenty bucks American. A few swipes on the steel and it cuts just as good as the day I bought it.
I concur :)
I got a good Japanese chef's knive. I think it was about 125 U$, but I use my 5 U$ Kiwi more often :)

I missed this thread the first time around. It cracks me up how so many people recommended the Victorinox and you ended up with the Henckels.

@pepperhead212, I wonder if the knife you got for your mother was a "single-man" option made with lesser-quality materials and workmanship. It's an easy mistake to make.

Both ZWILLING and Henckels are part of the same respected company but their materials and prices are what makes them different. With their German culinary design, the company specializes in premium knives and are seen as a global symbol of excellence. Precision manufacturing, advanced technology, and premium materials enforce them as industry leaders.

ZWILLING
When you translate the German word Zwilling to English, it means twin. Since 1731, the twins (or as some like to say, “double man logo“) can be found on all ZWILLING J.A. Henckels products...

Henckels
Established in 1895, the goal of J.A. Henckels International was to widen their audience and provide consumer industry leading products at a great price. The Halberdie (single man logo) carries a variety of products for consumers at different budgets...

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom