Can anyone recommend a good Chef Knife that isn't terribly expensive?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Congrats! I have a set of Henckels Pro S knives for almost 25 years. I sharpen them myself. I'm very happy with them.

Congratulations on getting the new knife. I have been quite happy with the set of Henkels that we have. My DH bought them in 1989 or 90. I moved in with him in 1995. He had the good knives, I brought the steel. :giggle:

Congratulations on getting the new knife. I have been quite happy with the set of Henkels that we have. My DH bought them in 1989 or 90. I moved in with him in 1995. He had the good knives, I brought the steel. :giggle:
I was pretty impressed with the reviews and videos I checked out, so I decided to go for it.

Can't wait to get it. I'm making a pot of homemade veggie soup this weekend, so I hope I get the knife by Saturday.

Glad to hear you got your knew knife, @Linda0818! Given the good reviews Henckel's got, since I got that in '95, they must have gone back to their old formula. Whatever you do, get a steel, and a cheap "diamond stone", or set of different grades. You can learn to use those quickly, and easily.

You are right, no tip down mainly because it can get bent, damaged.
I've always disliked steak and cutting knives put face down in holders and that was re-enforced watching people put utensils in the them.
They literally just drop them in, and yes, I do too but never something with a point.
My brother, RIP, would 'chuck' them in and bent the tip on my good chef's knife and actually bent the prongs on a kitchen fork by doing so.
I was sooo upset - he always insisted on doing the dishes for me. I learned to quickly wash my kitchen knives and forks before sitting down for dinner. (bless him, he never noticed :))

Forgot:- If you have a wooden knife block - slide them in "sharp side up" I have always done that, again, going back after visitors and correcting them. It has actually become more common, so I guess ppeople are realizing every little bit helps in keeping them sharp.

Last edited:
Glad to hear you got your knew knife, @Linda0818! Given the good reviews Henckel's got, since I got that in '95, they must have gone back to their old formula. Whatever you do, get a steel, and a cheap "diamond stone", or set of different grades. You can learn to use those quickly, and easily.
Sounds like a plan (y). I'll probably watch video tutorials on how to sharpen knives, since I'm a newbie in that department.

You are right, no tip down mainly because it can get bent, damaged.
I've always disliked steak and cutting knives put face down in holders and that was re-enforced watching people put utensils in the them.
They literally just drop them in, and yes, I do too but never something with a point.
My brother, RIP, would 'chuck' them in and bent the tip on my good chef's knife and actually bent the prongs on a kitchen fork by doing so.
I was sooo upset - he always insisted on doing the dishes for me. I learned to quickly wash my kitchen knives and forks before sitting down for dinner. (bless him, he never noticed :))

Forgot:- If you have a wooden knife block - slide them in "sharp side up" I have always done that, again, going back after visitors and correcting them. It has actually become more common, so I guess ppeople are realizing every little bit helps in keeping them sharp.
Thanks for all the great pointers (no pun intended :geek:).

It's funny, but other people cleaning my kitchen or washing my dishes always made me nervous, for some reason. If someone would ask me if I needed help, I would always say, "No thanks, I'm good!" and then mumble under my breath now please, get out of my kitchen.

LOL - Linda I've always said the same - Hate someone washing my dishes. But over the years I've learned that (especially close friends) get upset when you refuse their help. So - taken me decades to learn, but I now except it .... and then sneak back later ... :whistling

My kids know not to offer to do the dishes any more. I like to do them my way (the right way) and I don't want their time with me spent doing cleanup.

I don't want most people helping with the cleanup either. If they really want to help, then we can work together. For example, I'll wash the dishes and ask them to inspect and dry them. But, they don't get to help with the crystal glasses.

Last edited:
LOL - Linda I've always said the same - Hate someone washing my dishes. But over the years I've learned that (especially close friends) get upset when you refuse their help. So - taken me decades to learn, but I now except it .... and then sneak back later ... :whistling
Absolutely. You always have to go back and check over their work. ;)

That's possible. But to some people, the knife is the most important tool in the kitchen.

Next to your own hands.

Speaking of knives, I bought one! I decided on the Henckels 8" Chef Knife. I'm really looking forward to using a proper knife for cutting meats and vegetables. I'm excited :-p
Great choice! Though I am late to the discussion, my first good kitchen knife is also an 8 inch Henckels chef's knife. I don't know why I was in this knife store - perhaps with someone who was getting a hunting knife - but I saw this knife and asked to see it. I picked it up and it felt perfect in my hand! Although it was expensive for me at that time, I bought it and never had a regret. It has been 30 - 35 years ago, and it remains my favorite kitchen knife.

Great choice! Though I am late to the discussion, my first good kitchen knife is also an 8 inch Henckels chef's knife. I don't know why I was in this knife store - perhaps with someone who was getting a hunting knife - but I saw this knife and asked to see it. I picked it up and it felt perfect in my hand! Although it was expensive for me at that time, I bought it and never had a regret. It has been 30 - 35 years ago, and it remains my favorite kitchen knife.
In the reviews I read, others said the same thing, that the knife felt perfect in their hand.

I think it said it comes with a sleeve for storage. Which is good because I don't have a knife block and it would end up living in the drawer with the rest of my utensils without any protection for the blade.

Congrats on your new knife!

As for the sleeve, I only use it for transport.
If it is plastic and you want to use it, then make sure your knife is absolutely dry.

You could a;so easily make a "storage" sleeve out of cardboard.

Tips and hints, coming out of the woodwork!

If it is a "slide in" sleeve, closed on both long sides but open at either end - don't slice you hand open in doing so.

If it is hard plastic, open on 3 sides (open ends and one long side), "slice" it into the case. Place the blade closest to the hilt into the case first - the push the rest of the blade down into the case.

I posted a picture of that somewhere on another knife thread which really shows it best. I'll see if I can find it.

Congrats on your new knife!

As for the sleeve, I only use it for transport.
If it is plastic and you want to use it, then make sure your knife is absolutely dry.

You could a;so easily make a "storage" sleeve out of cardboard.

Not sure what it's made of. It's not due to be delivered until tomorrow, so I'll see then.

Tips and hints, coming out of the woodwork!

If it is a "slide in" sleeve, closed on both long sides but open at either end - don't slice you hand open in doing so.

If it is hard plastic, open on 3 sides (open ends and one long side), "slice" it into the case. Place the blade closest to the hilt into the case first - the push the rest of the blade down into the case.

I posted a picture of that somewhere on another knife thread which really shows it best. I'll see if I can find it.
I guess I'll have to wait and see what the sleeve is like before I understand what you mean. Like I said, I'm a newbie to the chef knife world. I had one long ago, but never used it much because it wasn't very sharp.

So I retook the pics (and saved them this time) Mine can be used by lefties or righties...
knife guard c 23.11.18.jpg
knife guard a 23.11.18.jpg
knive guard b 23.11.18.jpg

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom