All over the board....seasoning

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Yankee00

Cook
Hello all. Anyone who has seen my posts must think I am ADHD, as I am trying to find the right seasoning methods for a few items. I recently boiled some Gulf white shrimp and added 3/4 cup of Old Bay to the water. While the shrimp were good, the seasoning was very mild. Keeping in mind, the shrimp were only in the water for a few minutes before they were done.

I am now thinking that perhaps shrimp are kinda like crawfish. I know when I cook crawfish, there is a necessary soak time. Does anyone else use a soak time for shrimp to ensure the seasoning gets in? Thank you in advance.

The only time I ever boil shrimp is when I put them in a gumbo, so I can't help much. My favorite way to cook shrimp is on skewers on the grill.

I think you are right to wonder if the short boiling time is a contributing factor to the weak taste, especially if you are boiling with the shells on. A good soak might help.

CD

The only time I ever boil shrimp is when I put them in a gumbo, so I can't help much. My favorite way to cook shrimp is on skewers on the grill.

I think you are right to wonder if the short boiling time is a contributing factor to the weak taste, especially if you are boiling with the shells on. A good soak might help.

CD
Thank you, CD. I AM boiling with the shell on simply because I have been told that doing so adds more flavor to the shrimp. However, after rethinking this, it is possible the shell is keeping the seasoning from the shrimp itself?

One shrimp recipe I use calls for the shrimp to be rubbed with the seasoning to get some under the shell. This shrimp is grilled, not boiled. However, getting some of the seasoning onto the shrimp under the shell should make a difference. I'd suggest letting the seasoned shrimp rest before cooking.

Thank you, CD. I AM boiling with the shell on simply because I have been told that doing so adds more flavor to the shrimp.

Hmmm, sounds fishy to me (pardon the pun). It seems like just the opposite would happen, since the shrimp are wrapped in a something. There is seafood flavor in shrimp shells, which is why they are used to make seafood stock, but the flavor of the seasoning would be locked out, IMHO.

CD

Hmmm, sounds fishy to me (pardon the pun). It seems like just the opposite would happen, since the shrimp are wrapped in a something. There is seafood flavor in shrimp shells, which is why they are used to make seafood stock, but the flavor of the seasoning would be locked out, IMHO.

CD
Thank you AGAIN, CD. I tried a test tonight. I used my TOAD (I am not trying to be a commercial), shrimp peeler/deveiner on some jumbo FL pink shrimp. I used the same amount of water and same amount of Old Bay in the boiling water. While the shrimp definitely took more of the Old Bay using this method, I do not recommend boiling peeled/deveined shrimp.

Like the others, I grill shrimp/prawns etc when I can.
Boiling only when I eat the boiling liquid as well.
The shells will add flavour to the liquid, not the shrimp meat in my opinion.
The shell also helps with the shrimp not drying out, but thats also irrelevant when cooking and not using the liquid.

I would highly highly spice the liquid, if you just want to dunk them in, then eat as is

Or make a stock from the shells, reduce and then cook the shrimp meatin this reduced stock

Like the others, I grill shrimp/prawns etc when I can.
Boiling only when I eat the boiling liquid as well.
The shells will add flavour to the liquid, not the shrimp meat in my opinion.
The shell also helps with the shrimp not drying out, but thats also irrelevant when cooking and not using the liquid.

I would highly highly spice the liquid, if you just want to dunk them in, then eat as is

Or make a stock from the shells, reduce and then cook the shrimp meatin this reduced stock
Thank you, Badjak!

Back
Top Bottom