A device to safely slice vegetables.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

BML

Assistant Cook
I have recently found recipes such as a Microsoft chicken casserole and Spaghetti Bolognese that require thinly sliced carrots. Unlike my chef trained sister who can rattle along with a knife at a fantastic speed I have to be careful. I know that are a large number of slicing devices but is there a generally accepted best one?

Mandolines work well for thinly slicing vegetables, but carrots can be quite difficult because they are so hard, thus, not really being safe.

If you have a food processor with a slicing blade, you might want to try that.

For something like bolognese, i usually just grate the carrots on the large hole side of a box grater.

Last edited:
A mandoline with a slicing guide. If you're a real klutz, get yourself a cut proof glove. Remember to count your fingers before you start slicing, then immeiately afterwards. The count should be the same. If not, if you get to the emergency room quickly, with the severed fingers, they can be reattached.

Last edited:
I like the food processor suggestion. I was going to suggest a mandolin with cut proof gloves.

I have slicing blades for my food processor. Not as good as, but MUCH safer than a mandolin. Been there, done that, went to the ER.

CD

Of all the tools and gadgets I have im the kitchen ( and those from the past that have made it to the trash or the kitchen gadget grave yard ( my basement), the mandoline is , by far, the tool that Injures me the most, no matter how carful I am. That being said, when used properly, it does a great job. I finally got a new one. , and as kind of a joke, aa person at work who I tell about my kitchen injuries, got me a pair of those kitchen safety gloves as a gift this year. Haven't used the new mandoline or gloves yet. To the mandolins defense, , I never use that safety push guard. I always bare hand it. never said I was the sharpest knife in the drawer ( but the mandoline's may be).

I wear my cut resistant gloves when I use the mandolin. I worry more about cutting myself when I wash it, 'cause I don't want to wear the gloves for that. But, I have been careful and lucky and I don't remember cutting myself on the mandolin.

Many thanks for all of your reply's. The mandoline looks good and its inexpensive. My wife suggested the grater which certainly works but I think that the dish needs the sight of actual sliced carrots.

Good luck BML. I go along with the mandolin, really just being aware on not being stupid while using it works for me. I rarely use the holder thingy, find it too awkward.
If I'm doing a lot, of say potatoes, I use my hand and then at the very end the guide holder thingy.
Think I've told this story before. Was doing potatoes, said to myself, OK last slice and switch to holder. At the precise moment of "the last slice", the cat (sleeping on the chair behind me) fell off and landed on the dog (also sleeping behind me, but on the floor). Chaos erupted resulting in my slicing off 1/3 of the side of my little pinky. Over the years the angle is not quite as noticeable as it used to be.
But I've still never changed my method and actually use the safety holder even less. Have never cut myself since - but I go really slow at the end.

Many thanks for all of your reply's. The mandoline looks good and its inexpensive. My wife suggested the grater which certainly works but I think that the dish needs the sight of actual sliced carrots.
the mandolin safety caps/pushers/etc, are not suited to cut carrot round slices.

if you are a woodworker . . . make a block, bit wider than the mandolin slide, route/cut out the center so the block slips over the slide and there is a slight gap between block center at blade (at desired height aka thickness). drill a hole in the block then
option 1: hole sized to take the usual carrots
option 2: cut the block, leave a semi-circular 'groove' in the face of block.

stand the carrot(s) upright in the groove, hold the carrot against the block, keeping fingers high, slice away.

methinks most mandolin injuries stem from people trying to utilize that last silly millimeter thickness of "slicee" - some minor 'waste' must be tolerated, or paid for in blood.....

When Im using the mandoline, I always tell my wife not to talk to me and let me concentrate. As long as I'm paying attention , I have no issue,, but its one of those things that I cringe even when seeing other people using it, cause I know what it feels like.

I have a mandolin with interchangeable blades. I've never cut myself, and I always use the "spikes on the bottom vegetable holder." If there is a bit of potato, carrot, whatever left over, I just put that in the chickens' treat bowl. If you don't have chickens, put it in the compost pile.

Andy, I find that often the food slips off or gets chewed up by the pins. Very annoying. I'll use it when quantity is involved. As dcSaute says, just live with the trimmings and 'get over' having to have the last millimeters.

Remember that when you have only a small piece of food left to cut, you can switch to your knife to finish it. This will prevent cuts from "just one more slice" syndrome.
Excellent suggestion. For almost everything, the knife has already been used and it won't even mean extra dishwashing.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom