What's for dinner Saturday, September 30 2023?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

medtran49

Master Chef
Blackened steak salad with potatoes, red bell peppers, caramelized onions, mushrooms, gorgonzola and a simple vinaigrette .
20230930_175810.jpg

Tonight I made an Indian dish, a Maharastrian version (using the Malvani masala powder I made a new batch of recently), using a cut up eggplant, 4 long beans, and about 2 c of cut up okra, to use up some of the veggies I had in the fridge. I started out by first cooking some oat groats in the Instant Pot - while not traditional, those I use here in place of rice, for more nutrition, combined with the masoor dal. While that was cooking, I started the rest.

In a sauté pan, I started a large chopped onion in a few tb of coconut oil, adding about 1½ c of chopped up Numex chiles after about 5-6 minutes. After a few minutes I added about 1 tb each of minced garlic and ginger, plus 3 tb of the Malvani masala powder, cooking about a minute, then added about 2 cups of blended tomatoes, 10 curry leaves (more in the tarka), and scraped the pan, and rinsed the VM out with about a cup of water, and added to the pan. I let that simmer well, while I cut up the other veggies, and got those cooking in the IP (setting the oats aside), and after sautéeing the veggies, added about ¼ c dried, grated coconut in the last 2 minutes. Then I added the thickened tomato sauce, and 2½ c water, plus about 3/4 c masoor dal. I salted to taste, and set it to manual for 8 minutes, and let the pressure release in 15 minutes, and the dal was finished. Then I stirred in 3/4 tsp of garam masala, the pre-cooked oak groats, and set it to simmer briefly, while setting the tarka ready - mustard seed, cumin seed, 6 or 7 Thai peppers, asafoetida, and some curry leaves. I stirred that in, and about 1/4 c chopped cilantro.
Almost finished Malvani masala dal, with the tarka and cooked oat groats, ready to stir in. by pepperhead212, on Flickr

Finished dal, topped with some cilantro. by pepperhead212, on Flickr

I was on my own again for supper. I nuked a bowl of frozen corn kernels. I toasted some really nice whole grain and sunflower seed bread (store bought) and slathered the slices with butter. I fried some salumi that needed to be used soon and also had a few chunks of old cheddar.

Back
Top Bottom