What have you had for a snack lately?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
The radishes were so fresh when I shopped today their leaves were perky. The baguette was hot from the oven when I plucked it from the basket. With good butter and salt at home, I couldn't resist. Such a tasty treat for so little work.

IMG_20220715_201158090_HDR.jpg

I made bruschetta with fresh tomato. I took all the seeds and gel out and sliced it into strips. I grabbed some fresh basil leaves off of one of my basil plants. I toasted some slices of wholegrain baguette and rubbed them with garlic. I topped the bruschetta with some shaved Parmigiano Regiano. I almost forgot the EVOO. I took one bite and noticed they weren't quite right. I got the EVOO and splashed some on and it was perfect. It was odd that I didn't notice the EVOO when it was there and I was paying attention, but I sure noticed when it was missing. I planned on taking pictures, but, once again, I was too eager to get to eating to remember.

Last edited:
Some usual leftovers, and tomatoes, as always, but he only cooking I did today was about 5 days worth of okra (I'm getting more each day now, when I go out and pick the pods that are large enough). I come in and put them in a qt bag in the fridge, and yesterday, I had to either start a new bag, or cook what I had, so I made a simple snack with it. It's a dry curry, por sabzi, to which I added some nam prik pao, which is just some garlic, shallots, and hot peppers, caramelized in oil. This version is compatible with many cuisines. The original recipe has chopped cilantro, which is also good.

Okra Sabzi

3 c cleaned okra, cut into 3/4" pieces
2 tb oil
1 tsp whole cumin seeds
1/4 tsp asafoetida
1/2 tsp turmeric powder
1/2 tsp Kashmiri or mild Numex chili powder
1 1/2 tsp coriander/cumin powder
2 tb chopped cilantro
salt to taste

Heat oil in large NS skillet on medium heat, and add cumin and asafoetida. Add until sizzling, and add okra, and cook about 8 min, stirring frequently. When browned some, add the remaining spices and cilantro (or nam prik pao, noted above), and cook another 2 minutes, stirring most of the time. Serve hot, with salt sprinkled on - needs less salt on surface, like this.
3 c okra, cooked 8 min in oil, cumin seeds and asafoetida. by pepperhead212, on Flickr

Okra cooked for 2 more minutes, with spice powders added, stirring frequently. by pepperhead212, on Flickr

Finished okra sabzi, after stirring in 2 tb nam prik pao. by pepperhead212, on Flickr

Here's a snack I had today, the recipe I got from a guy on another forum. The original recipe called for baking 15 minutes @400°, then tossing, and baking 10-12 minutes longer, but I didn't want to be firing up my oven in this weather, so I heated up my pizza stone in my grill! And last night, I started the dough for a batch of rye bread, to bake in the grill, since I'd be heating it up.

It is super easy, since I had some red curry paste in the freezer.

4 c okra, cut into 3/4-1" pieces
1 1/2 tb oil
1 tsp minced ginger
2 tsp Thai red curry paste
salt to taste

Preheat oven or grill to 400°. Combine all ingredients in a large bowl, and mix thoroughly, to coat the okra. Spread out in a shallow 10x15 pan, and bake/grill 15 min, then stir, to turn over as much as possible. Bake another 10-12 min, until well browned. Taste for salt - will depend what's in the curry paste, what it needs. Serve immediately.
Okra tossed with Thai curry paste and ginger, half cooked on grill. by pepperhead212, on Flickr

Finished grilled okra and Thai curry paste. by pepperhead212, on Flickr

I made another okra dish today for a friend and I to snack on, based on a thoran dish - a dish from Kerala, made with many kinds of vegetables, sometimes combinations. The recipe in the lastest Milk Street Magazine was with broccolini, and it gave me the idea to use the okra this way, since I had a bunch of it I had to use.

I based it on some recipe I had made before, using beans. This was a quart of okra, about 3 c, once trimmed and cut into pieces. The half cup of coconut - what makes it Keralan - was pounded to a paste, with 2 cloves garlic and 3 red chilis, and a half tsp salt. And I measured out a tsp each of mustard and cumin seeds, plus urad dal.

I heated up about 2 tb of coconut oil in a wok, on medium, and added the spices - heated until spices crackled a little, and a dozen curry leaves were added, and cooked briefly. And a large chopped scallion was added, and cooked 2 minutes. Then okra was added, and cooked about 6 minutes, stirring frequently, and deglazing 3 times, by adding about 2 tb water each time. Then the paste was added, and mixed well, and cooked 2 minutes, stirring frequently, then deglazing one last time, with the a little water.
Makes 2 large helpings, or more, served with more dishes, as part of a meal.

A little coriander cumin powder (dhania jeera) added to the paste. by pepperhead212, on Flickr

Finished paste, for okra thoran. by pepperhead212, on Flickr

Sputtering the spices in the coconut oil by pepperhead212, on Flickr

Curry leaves added to spices, for a few seconds by pepperhead212, on Flickr

Okra added, to cook on medium for about 6 minutes, adding a couple of tb water, if anything is sticking - did about 3 times. by pepperhead212, on Flickr

Paste added, to cook about 2 minutes, stirring frequently. I added another 2 tb water and scraped the bottom, before serving. by pepperhead212, on Flickr

Finished okra thoran by pepperhead212, on Flickr

I made a bean salad. I thought I made enough for tomorrow and for a small snack for the two of us. We enjoyed it. :yum: We liked it enough that we finished the whole thing off. I figure there was about 3 or 4 cups of salad. :pig:

It was one of those things where you just add stuff until it looks right. I did write down what the ingredients were.

Today's snack was a DQ chili dog with onion rings. Their hot dogs are very meaty in texture. The chili is OK. The onion rings were above average, an freshly cooked.

Seeeeya' Chief Longwind of the North

We got ice cream from Carvel's today. It's the first time this year. I got a child size cold brew coffee ice cream with chocolate sprinkles. :)(y) I hope you get the smilies sorted out soon. We seem to be missing quite a few.

BTW - I couldn't add more text after the smilies were inserted TILL I hit the page down arrow then it moved my cursor to the end of the line after the inserted smilies.

Last edited:
I made a bean salad. I thought I made enough for tomorrow and for a small snack for the two of us. We enjoyed it. ? We liked it enough that we finished the whole thing off. I figure there was about 3 or 4 cups of salad. ?

It was one of those things where you just add stuff until it looks right. I did write down what the ingredients were.
Well that emoji is weird. It's supposed to be the one for a piggy. ? on the old site. But, it interpreted that as a colon p, which is a tongue sticking out. then it follows it with the rest of the word "pig" to get ig:

In the preview, it shows a pig. I wonder if it is only the new posts that will be updated to show the old emojis. Sadly, it's a newer interpretation of the older emojis. The yum updated, but it isn't animated like the old one. The new pig doesn't make the "I made a pig of myself" as obvious.

1 in the morning saw me munching a butter-toasted English muffin, one side smeared with 2 tbs. Skippy Supercrunch, and the other with homemade strawberry jam. I love the juxtaposition of the crunchy muffin against the creamy PB, and jam. Washed it down with half cup of rice milk.

Seeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Back
Top Bottom