What did you eat Sunday, August 25, 2024?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Whole wheat penne pasta, chopped kale, mushrooms, hot sausage crumbles, onion, garlic, etc…topped with a blizzard of grated cheese. 🐷🐷🐷

IMG_0364.jpeg

So I finally got around to making an actual meal. And it was certainly worth the wait.
1724674617192.png

3 pork medallions, simple salt and pepper pan fried in a mixture butter and oil, reduced pan sauce, yellow and green beans from the garden, with plain rice to help sop up the sauce.

Yesterday, made a creole type dish, to use up that okra I had been accumulating for a while. I was originally going to make some Szechwan eggplant - something I've been having a craving for, and something I'll have when I'm finished with this!

Not a one dish meal, though it does end up in one dish. I started by cooking a lb of chopped up andouille sausage, then setting it aside in a bowl, then starting 1¼c of parboiled basmati rice in some salted water, in a saucepan, and turned that of after 20 minutes, to add to the dish at the end. Meanwhile, I cut up a large onion, and started sautéeing that in the Instant Pot, adding 2 diced green bell peppers, and cooking those while chopping up the end of my celery and the leaves (about 2 c total), and adding this, and cooking, while mincing up 6 cloves of garlic, and cooking this about a minute, with a half tsp of cloves, a quarter tsp of ground bay, a tsp of ground Thai peppers, and 2 tsp thyme. After a minute, I stirred in a little over a lb of tomatoes, puréed coarsely, and brought to a boil, while getting the okra washed, trimmed, and sliced into 1/2-3/4" pieces. This is stirred into the sauce, I added a little more salt, in the form of soy sauce, and a little more Thai pepper powder. I covered and sealed the IP, set on Manual/4 min, then let pressure reduce naturally (cooks quite a bit more before and after). While this was cooking, I cooked a lb of sliced mushrooms - washed and drained, then steamed them briefly in a wok, with only a tb of water (more comes out of the mushrooms, from the washing), and as soon as the water is almost gone, 2 tsp oil is added, and they are sautéed about 7 minutes, and they browned very well. When the okra was done, this is stirred in, along with the sausage, then about 2/3 of the rice was stirred in, then the rest (turns out, I guessed right!). The salt I put in the rice was enough, and it didn't need any more salt or heat. I let it sit 5 min, to absorb some of the liquid, and this made it just right.
About 3 cups of okra, trimmed and cut up. by pepperhead212, on Flickr

Some onions, garlic, and 2 bell peppers, cooked together, then a pound of puréed tomatoes, and a lb of sausage added, to cook with the okra. by pepperhead212, on Flickr

Finished creole type dish, with okra, andouille, mushrooms, tomatoes, and rice. by pepperhead212, on Flickr

I fried the last of the ground beef I had defrosted. Once it was a bit cooked and broken up, I added chopped onion and sliced mushrooms and some Madras curry paste. Then came the frozen carrots, green beans, and corn. I wasn't going to have a carb side dish so I wanted extra veg. I added some coffee cream and when it started simmering, I tasted it. I add some cumin, cayenne, and fish sauce. That was pretty good, but I made too much.

2024-08-25 Stir fired beef, veggies, onions, and 'shrooms in cream with Madras curry paste 1.jpg

Yesterday, made a creole type dish, to use up that okra I had been accumulating for a while. I was originally going to make some Szechwan eggplant - something I've been having a craving for, and something I'll have when I'm finished with this!

That's a tasty looking Creole style dish. (y) That style of cooking is great for someone with a garden like yours. I have honestly not done much Creole style cooking, just Cajun style. A lot of people think Creole and Cajun are the same thing, but they are not.

CD

@caseydog It's the opposite for me - I more often do creole dishes, since I have all those tomatoes, though I occasionally make cajun style dishes, too. Both delicious, and similar, but definitely different, as you noted.

Back
Top Bottom