What are your favorite fruits, and why.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I love it. Your exotic is our everyday stuff and our everyday stuff is your exotic. I have never even tried mangosteen or rambutan. But, mangoes are wonderful. Since I live in Quebec, wild blueberries are easily available here, in season. When I lived out in the country, I used to pick them. I'm not that fond of them. To me, they are just okay. The wild strawberries and raspberries are some of my favourites.
Really? Never eaten mangosteen and rambutan? You will love them! They are really tasty but only bear fruits in season. We have 2 mangosteen trees in the garden, and one rambutan tree. During last season we could eat only from one mangosteen tree as there was a couple of giant squirrels who thought the tree belonged to them. No matter how much I chase them away when I turn back they are back on the tree. lol. So I gave up. :LOL: The funny thing is that they started eating the bark of the tree after the season. I have photos I will find them and attach them.
Too bad it's the pandemic but if things get better during next season I might be able to send a few fruits to you. :)

IMG20210131164250.jpg
[/url] [/IMG]
vd9fVHh

Really? Never eaten mangosteen and rambutan? You will love them! They are really tasty but only bear fruits in season. We have 2 mangosteen trees in the garden, and one rambutan tree. During last season we could eat only from one mangosteen tree as there was a couple of giant squirrels who thought the tree belonged to them. No matter how much I chase them away when I turn back they are back on the tree. lol. So I gave up. [emoji38] The funny thing is that they started eating the bark of the tree after the season. I have photos I will find them and attach them.
Too bad it's the pandemic but if things get better during next season I might be able to send a few fruits to you. [emoji2]
I have not had mangosteen or rambutan, either, but I have had lychee. I first had it in a nice Chinese restaurant and was very intrigued. I'd never tasted anything like it. Later, I found a recipe for sweet and sour chicken with lychees instead of the usual pineapple. That was very good.

There's a huge international grocery store not too far from me that sells lots of Asian and South American foods, including fresh fruits and vegetables we don't usually see in regular grocery stores. I need to check it out again and see if they have any of those fruits fresh.

I have not had mangosteen or rambutan, either, but I have had lychee. I first had it in a nice Chinese restaurant and was very intrigued. I'd never tasted anything like it. Later, I found a recipe for sweet and sour chicken with lychees instead of the usual pineapple. That was very good.

There's a huge international grocery store not too far from me that sells lots of Asian and South American foods, including fresh fruits and vegetables we don't usually see in regular grocery stores. I need to check it out again and see if they have any of those fruits fresh.
rambutan is sweet. so is mangosteen. I think lychee is sour a little bit. Let's hope the pandemic would go away by next season so I can send a few fruits to all of you.:)

I think it would be problematic to try to send fruit. There are all kinds of regulations and inspections required for plant material of any kind coming from other countries. It can be worth it for a commercial enterprise to have large shipments inspected, but I don't even know if inspection of that sort is even available for individuals.

I think it would be problematic to try to send fruit. There are all kinds of regulations and inspections required for plant material of any kind coming from other countries. It can be worth it for a commercial enterprise to have large shipments inspected, but I don't even know if inspection of that sort is even available for individuals.
You're right. It's usually prohibited in order to prevent insects or diseases from entering a country.

Yeah the fumigation certificate and stuff. I remember now. I was trying to send some cloves to a friend in Israel and wasn't allowed. They have the toughest rules as far as I know.

Anyway I will post a fresh fruit seller from Sri Lanka if I can find one, so that you can have a taste of mangosteen and rambutan. :)

You can get mangosteen and rambutan at H-Mart or most Asian grocers. Love them both. Time for an H-Mart run.

Back
Top Bottom