What are yellow/Yukon gold potatoes good for?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

BAPyessir6

Senior Cook
Growing up, I never used Yukon gold. My family always had white for everything: mashed, baked, Au gratin, fries etc. So now I want to improve my culinary knowledge and use Yukon gold. I bought a bag of each to try side by side to know the difference, and I'd love to know what yukon gold is superior for as opposed to russet white. Is Yukon good/better for mashed, as white are starchy and can get gluey? What say y'all?

Basically what are gold/yellow potatoes commonly used for and superior to?

Yukon Gold potatoes are a good all-purpose potato. They are in the mid-point of starchy and waxy. You can use them for mashed potatoes, or for dicing into soups and stews.

As for a comparison to russets, they will hold up better for a soup or potato salad, from my experience, but they can bee used for mashed potatoes, too. Personally, I use russets for mashed potatoes. I use a waxier potato for potato salad, but I'd have no problem using Yukon golds for either one.

CD

I agree with CD, Yukon gold are an excellent all around potato. Their flesh also has a nice "buttery" colour. I have read that when stored correctly, they can be stored longer than most other types of potatoes without sprouting.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom