Crispy Homemade Hashbrown Potatoes

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Hash browns are a breakfast food for me though I know they needn't be limited to breakfast. I decided some time ago that I don't care to spend the time to make hash browns in the morning.

Here's what I do. Defrost some frozen Tater Tots in the microwave, Mash them into a hot CI skillet with melted butter, brown until nice and crispy, flip and repeat. Viola!
Your hash brown method sounds delicious and simple! If you’re looking to explore more creative and tasty hash brown options, check out Waffle House Hashbrowns. They offer a unique twist with options like scattered, smothered, and covered hashbrowns, loaded with toppings like melted cheese, grilled mushrooms, and spicy jalapeno peppers. It's a must-try for hash brown enthusiasts!

Around here, fried up cubed potatoes are called home fries. When the potatoes have been shredded before frying, then they are called hash browns.
Fried shredded potatoes are hash browns.

1725497449807.png

Fried small diced potatoes are country hash browns.

1725496660272.png

Fried sliced potatoes are home fries, unless you slice them too thin.

1725496887274.png

Then they are potato chips.

1725497129574.png

Believe me. I know these things.

Last edited:
Fried shredded potatoes are hash browns.

View attachment 70583

Fried small diced potatoes are country hash browns.

View attachment 70580
Fried sliced potatoes are home fries, unless you slice them too thin.

View attachment 70581

Then they are potato chips.

View attachment 70582

Believe me. I know these things.
I'm a southern girl and home fries can be slices or chunks. I've never heard of fried cubes being called southern hash browns. Hash browns have always been shredded.

I know things too, plus I am southern.

You've made me want to try and make hash browns, they sound similar to the Swiss Rostii.

I'm a southern girl and home fries can be slices or chunks. I've never heard of fried cubes being called southern hash browns. Hash browns have always been shredded.

I know things too, plus I am southern.
I didn't say Southern hash browns, the bag did. I said COUNTRY hash browns, and there is country elsewhere besides in the south.

From Wikipedia:
These country-style hash browns
1725544484051.png

are more tender, flavorful, and buttery. They have a different texture from the shredded premade hash browns that you take out from the freezer.

Also, if you add chopped onion and bell pepper to them they are called O'Brien potatoes, but I have no idea who O'Brien is. I said Country hash browns, but didn't specify what country.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom