Curried Beef Stew

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Dave. great suggestions, THANK YOU!!!

I have so many recipes for spice blends that call for Indian spices that I have them in their own binder. Looks like I will be adding a lot more.

Dave, last year I posted this on the Weber site that I belong to.

Almost all of the 25 plus recipes I have for Garam Masala say to use seeds, toast, then grind. I didn't mind doing that when I was younger, but now I take a short cut. lol Here is a recipe that I have come up with that is much easier and faster and makes 2 3/4 tsp. so not much left over to sit around and go stale if not used, but enough to make at least 2 or 3 meals.

Garam Masala

1/2 tsp. ground cardamom
1/2 tsp. ground cumin
1/2 tsp. ground black pepper
1/4 tsp. ground coriander
1/4 tsp. ground cinnamon
1/4 tsp. ground ginger
1/4 tsp. ground nutmeg
1/4 tsp. ground garlic

Source: Joan

I know this should be a little more on the hot spicy side, but not for me. Please feel free to add whatever you want. lol

cookieee I used to not like a lot of Indian food, due to the raw cinnamon and clove flavor in a lot of dishes. Almost all garam masala tasted like it had pumpkin pie spice added to it! The earliest book I had was by supposedly the most popular Indian CB author back in the 90s; I don't even remember her name, only that I didn't like the garam masala, as well as other things I tried, due to the raw cinnamon flavor. I learned, years later, that toasting the spices, as well as mixing them with even more spices and ingredients, gave them a good flavor! And it really doesn't take that long. For the ones I use a lot of, like the sambar and rasam powders, I make the larger amounts of, but the garam masala I make the smaller batches of, as not as much of it is used. When I've made new recipes of it, I'll share it with some friends, who will always take some from me!

Two things help control that cinnamon flavor in these recipes, besides just reducing it, of course! One, is to use Sri Lankan cinnamon, which a couple of recipes suggest. The other, is to use cinnamon "chips", which toast up much faster than just broken up sticks, and are the ones I use most. Indian groceries carry broken up sticks, but the best ones I have found I get from spicesinc.com , which are much smaller, yet when I soft them in my tea strainer, no fine powder comes out. They toast much more evenly, due to the small size. Here's the source for that, and I often use it for seasoning tea, as well.
https://www.spicesinc.com/p-1041-cinnamon-chips.aspx

" The earliest book I had was by supposedly the most popular Indian CB author back in the 90s; I don't even remember her name, only that I didn't like the garam masala, as well as other things I tried, due to the raw cinnamon flavor."

Do you mean Madhur Jaffrey?

" The earliest book I had was by supposedly the most popular Indian CB author back in the 90s; I don't even remember her name, only that I didn't like the garam masala, as well as other things I tried, due to the raw cinnamon flavor."

Do you mean Madhur Jaffrey?

I think that was her, though I don't recall the name of the book. Years later, I found that mostly I liked the food from the southern regions, and much (though not all) of that food from the Northern and NE regions has those untoasted spices I'm not crazy about. Back then, I knew little about it. When I got that curry tree, originally for Malaysian cooking (around 2009), I realised I had to start using it in some of the Indian foods, as well! lol

Back
Top Bottom