What are some of your favourite discontinued products that you would like to see brought back?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jade Emperor

Sous Chef
We used to be able to buy a really good fish stock powder by Massel, which I only really used at a pinch when I didn’t have any homemade ready, but it was really good and not outrageously expensive, so I always had some to hand. Wish I could still buy it.
What are your entries in this category?

S&W ripe ‘n’ ragged canned peaches.

Smucker’s candied dill pickle spears.

Millbrook Old World rye bread with dill.

Campbell’s hearty home style tomato juice.

Peek Frean’s cookies.

and the list goes on and on…

Last edited:
Back before China started dealing with the US, all of the Chinese ingredients I could get for Chinese cooking was from Taiwan, and there was much less available, than there is now. However, one ingredient I used to get I could never find a replacement, that was the same - a Szechwan "Chili Paste With Garlic", which is a fermented chili paste, that had the best flavor of any I ever had. Other brands I tried, once they stopped selling that, and only had the Chinese brands, just didn't taste the same, though many years later, I found one almost as good, made in Thailand, even though it's a Chinese ingredient! I think both of them were fermented much longer than all the other brands, giving the better flavor. I even tried making it myself, but it was nothing like it.

A local supermarket chain, Steinberg, that went out of business in the late 1980s, used to carry frozen, skinless, beef, breakfast sausages that were really tasty. The were called Swift Premium Brown & Serve. I haven't seen those sausages here in Quebec since Steinberg went out of business. According to Wikipedia, they are now sold by a different company under the name, Banquet Brown & Serve. I don't think they sell them in Canada anymore.

Not a food, but a tool. I can't find the horseshoe shaped, wood handled vegetable brush. All I can find are glorified toothbrushes. In the past, they were at five & dimes, groceries, even some hardware stores with a kitchen shelf. Now whoever made them has gone out of business, or moved on to cheap, plastic toothbrushes.

Mount Olive whole, large, sweet-pickled banana peppers.
Kraft "Seven Seas" Green Goddess Dressing - which swears it is carried everywhere....but I cannot find it.

Mount Olive whole, large, sweet-pickled banana peppers.
Kraft "Seven Seas" Green Goddess Dressing - which swears it is carried everywhere....but I cannot find it.
If you enjoy the combination of sweet and hot try Tony Packo’s pickles.

Tony Packo’s was often mentioned on M*A*S*H by Corporal Max Klinger.

I’m able to buy them locally in a small family owned IGA store.

1687798318281.jpeg

If you enjoy the combination of sweet and hot try Tony Packo’s pickles.

Tony Packo’s was often mentioned on M*A*S*H by Corporal Max Klinger.

I’m able to buy them locally in a small family owned IGA store.

View attachment 65033
I just find it kind of adorable that "Aunt Bea" is talking about pickles, so I had to chime in.

(it's an Andy Griffith show thing)

:giggle:

I think I've seen those pickles somewhere before. The packaging looks familiar.

Recently, we visited Mount Airy where Andy Griffith grew up. It has many Andy Griffith sites and things to do. Snappy Lunch was there. We rode in a Mayberry squad car, and we got to visit the "jail." On the desk was a jar of Aunt Bea's Kerosene Cucumbers! :LOL:

Recently, we visited Mount Airy where Andy Griffith grew up. It has many Andy Griffith sites and things to do. Snappy Lunch was there. We rode in a Mayberry squad car, and we got to visit the "jail." On the desk was a jar of Aunt Bea's Kerosene Cucumbers! :LOL:
Oh no! LOL

That would be fun, though. That was always one of my favorite shows.

@Linda0818 It was so much fun. The squad car tour is totally worth it as are the other things such as Wally's Gas Station and Towing. We went to Snappy Lunch where I had their famous pork chop sandwich. Also, I discovered that you can stay in the house where Andy grew up. Next trip.... :) I loved the show too.

@Linda0818 It was so much fun. The squad car tour is totally worth it as are the other things such as Wally's Gas Station and Towing. We went to Snappy Lunch where I had their famous pork chop sandwich. Also, I discovered that you can stay in the house where Andy grew up. Next trip.... :) I loved the show too.
I had no idea this was even a thing. I'm going to check this out and look at some pics of the place!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom