Uses for oats that aren't granola/granola bars?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

BAPyessir6

Senior Cook
I got a big SACK of oats (rolled oats) from my sister-in-law as she gets huge bins of stuff from a Facebook marketplace thingy. This time it was oats, and she asked me if I wanted them (they had some sort of gluten contaminant in them she found out about, and she's lots of stuff free, including gluten). Anyway, I can literally only think of granola bars or granola to use this 15 pound sack I got, and I really like granola/granola bars, but not 15 pounds of the stuff.

Are there any other recipes or cuisines that feature oats in some sense? Like some little known recipe or just something other than granola/bars. Thanks all!

This is a subject I can't offer a lot of help to you, but I would like to figure out how to get someone to give me fifteen pounds of free meat because it is contaminated with some kind of vegetable.

I do recall having an apple crisp with oats that was quite good. I didn't make it, so I don't have a recipe, but did a quick search, and there are plenty of recipes online.

CD

Right off the top of my head, there is oatmeal bread, oatmeal cookies and porridge. Also, if you use Amazon.com, search for oatmeal cookbook. I found more than a dozen books, all having plenty of recipes that use oatmeal. You also could give some to friends and neighbors.

Wish I could help but seems everyone has covered all the things I could think of. Other than bread, oatmeal cookies and porridge, which is the limit of my experiences, the next would be a crumb topping for just about anything. This oatmeal crumb topping, store excess in the freezer. Just grab next time you need to sprinkle over a compote, crisp, etc.

How about homemade müsli/muesli? I like the one I make much better than the stuff from the store. Here are my instructions. I never measure when I make it. I just eyeball it, so it's a description of how to make it and a list of suggested ingredients, rather than a formal recipe.

Overnight oats. I've only tried it once, but do intend to make again. You can add all kinds of things and have a ready to go breakfast in the morning.

I use the Quaker Oats recipe for meatloaf and we LOVE it. They have many recipes on their site.

I would portion out bags and freeze some of it, if you have space, so it doesn't get stale

We use it for breakfast for oatmeal with different fruits almost daily. We use it in black bean brownies. We use it in the crust with date paste for chocolate pie and frozen fruit desserts-guava, pineapple, lemon, orange, blackberry. Many of the vegan meat substitutes use it as flour (grind oatmeal in a food processor). As a thickener in vegan cheeze sauces. Granola that is sweetened naturally with pureed apples and bananas, add nuts and dried fruit after baking. Overnight oats, dozens of recipes for that. Oatmeal cookies. We probably eat something with oats in it once a day. We buy our oatmeal in 50 lb bags.

Here's something that might interest you, @BAPyessir6 - Indian dishes! I've made savory dishes like tikki and muthia with oats, as well as many things with oat flour - flatbreads, as well as idli (though I haven't seen any fermented versions of these, you could experiment!). I've also put flour in other loaf breads, in maybe 30% amounts, and more in sweet breads. And if you got "old fashioned oats" in that batch, and a recipe calls for quick cooking oats, just pulse in the food processor or blender a few times, just to break it up some, but not make flour, and it will be more like the quick cooking in the recipes.

And something else you can do with it, though I've never done this, is make oat milk.

And if you have one, a good way to store it pretty much indefinitely (or as long as it will take you to use it) is vacuum sealed bags. I do this for grains and legumes, when I buy in large amounts.

I garden.
If you dont want to eat it, spread it in your flower beds.
The local Denizen, mainly small ants. Love that stuff.
I think it is about 10-0-0 on the fertilizer scale.
Eric, Austin x.

Green Tomato Oatmeal Bars

13”x9” pan:

4 C Green Tomato, finely chopped
2 C Brown Sugar, divided
2 Tb Lemon Juice
1 tsp Lemon Extract
¾ C Butter, softened (1½ sticks)
1½ C Flour
½ tsp Baking Soda
½ tsp Salt
2 C Oats
½ C Walnuts, chopped

Preheat the oven to 375º F.

Drain the tomatoes on paper towels for 10 minutes.

In a saucepan, combine the tomatoes with half the brown sugar and all the lemon juice. Simmer uncovered, for about 30 minutes or until thickened.

Remove from the heat, stir in the lemon extract and set aside.

Cream the butter and the remaining brown sugar with an electric mixer.

Separately sift the flour, baking soda and salt together and add it to the butter/sugar mixture. Mix well.

Stir in the oats and nuts.

Press 2½ cups of the oat mixture into a greased a 13”x9” pan (1¼ C for 8x8).

Spread the tomato mixture on top.

Crumble the remaining oat mixture on top of the tomato mixture.

Bake for 30-35 minutes or until golden brown. Cool and cut into squares.

8”x8” Pan:

2 C Green Tomato, finely chopped
1 C Brown sugar, divided
1 Tb Lemon Juice
½ tsp Lemon Extract
6 Tb Butter, softened
¾ C Flour
¼ tsp Baking Soda
¼ tsp Salt
1 C Oats
¼ C Walnuts, chopped

Funny, I was just thinking about this today:
THE best cookie (well, pretty close to it anyways) I've ever had!
The link isn't showing which cookie recipe you have on copymethat. I'd like to know. You have so many really lovely recipes in your file! !

Okay @blissful here ya go...

Also, @BAPyessir6 , 3 cups of rolled Oats is alot, if it were me, I'd double this recipe, they're that good!

@Kaneohegirlinaz Thank you. There's over 500 recipes that come up with a search of 'cookies'. At least 10 maybe 20 with oatmeal. Awesome list. Mr Bliss and I looked at a bunch of them. He said, 'what are you looking at OMG'. lol

Back
Top Bottom