Tuesday, August 13, 2024 - Dinner, anyone?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Kathleen

Cupcake
We had oven BBQ pork ribeyes, smashed potatoes, and fried okra from the garden. The pork ribeyes were an attempt to recreate a dish my grandmother made. It's close but not quite the same. I'll make it again!

On another note, I am trying to come up with a breading for okra that is very light and not at all heavy. This was simply flour with a bit of salt and pepper. However, it did not coat well. Adding other things (egg, buttermilk, etc.) make the breading heavy. Ideas are welcome!

20240813_180659 (2).jpg

We had oven BBQ pork ribeyes, smashed potatoes, and fried okra from the garden. The pork ribeyes were an attempt to recreate a dish my grandmother made. It's close but not quite the same. I'll make it again!

On another note, I am trying to come up with a breading for okra that is very light and not at all heavy. This was simply flour with a bit of salt and pepper. However, it did not coat well. Adding other things (egg, buttermilk, etc.) make the breading heavy. Ideas are welcome!

View attachment 70306

To be honest, I cheat with my fried okra, and use already breaded cut okra from the frozen vegetables in the store. I could never get breading to stick to fresh okra, but the frozen okra and breading stay together when I fry it. I end up with a nice, crunchy fried okra.

You could probably bread fresh okra, and put it on a tray in the freezer to firm up.

CD

Plate of LOL, living on leftovers...he said.
Sweet potato, mixed grains, red beans, chopped onions and peppers, microwaved, added chopped tomatoes, caesar dressing, a little AC vinegar and some nu-salt. Peach walnut bread, cantaloupe.

Homemade Pizza 🫠

IMG_0721.jpeg

Did a run up to my local continental grocery ($$$!) but I bought a bunch of lovely meats - salami, smoked ham etc.
Also Kalamata olives, anchovies, fresh San Marzano tomatoes and mozzarella.
But the best buy was a delightful fresh yeast - I don’t think I have made a better thin crust pizza base in years 🫠

Lovely, lovely mussels done the way her grandmother in Normandy does them. so yummmy!!!
With Fries and mayo.

She's leaving tomorrow with hubby and I'm left house sitting for them. I suggested she leave hubby behind - I'll drive and she can cook.

"Melanzane al funghetto" - Sautéed aubergines with chopped tomatoes,garlic, basil, oregano. A local traditional Summer dish, very simple but tasty.

Attachments

• IMG_20240812_122920.jpg
    IMG_20240812_122920.jpg
    186.9 KB · Views: 19
I made a new to me recipe. It was pretty good, if not as crispy as what the author makes. It's Crazy Crispy No-Oil Chicken from a book by Nagi Maehashi of Recipe Tin Eats. The recipe isn't on their website, but I got an adaption of the recipe from the Washington Post.

I didn't just use the thighs, I also included the drumsticks. As expected, it worked better with the thighs. I had some whole wheat penne with pasta and salad with that.

2024-08-13 Crispy chicken thigh, ww penne with pesto, and a salad 1.jpg

View attachment 70306
Maybe seasoned cornstarch instead of flour?

Plate of LOL, living on leftovers...he said.

Can't wait to serve somebody a Plate of LOL! that's a keeper!
taxy, I got that book, always said I'd never get more cookbooks. Well, it seems I lied.
Got one for one of my DIL's and one of my daughters. Both love it!

That is great! gonna try it this week! Thanks.
and it just so happens I brought the book with me, it's on page 134!

@taxlady I will give that a try. My mother and grandmother's made crispy okra, but the coating was heavy. Still good....but not what I am trying to make.

@dragnlaw Sometimes, you simply have to get another cookbook. I got this one for Frank's mother for Mother's Day. Watching the video is a must if you look it up. :whistling

I've watched the video the other day. Truly is so simple! Got the thighs today. Not sure when I'll be doing them tho.

Back
Top Bottom