Thursday dinner, September 19, 2024?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

medtran49

Master Chef
Tovala meal of cheese tortellini in Alfredo with spinach and bacon.
20240919_182934.jpg

Spinach Ravioli, cream of mushroom sauce.

I bought some Orange Turkey Tail mushrooms at the market last Saturday. Have to admit I don't really care for them. No matter how I've cooked them they are more chewy almost hard (very like the tough stems of shiitaki). the flavour is not too bad but honestly - won't buy them again. I believe, like a lot of mushrooms, they have many benefits but for some they are not recommended. Haven't researched it much and probably won't as I don't intend to purchase them again.

I was gonna take a pic of my dinner but I ate it too fast.

Tonight I made the Hamburger Helper Beef Stroganoff. I haven't had it in years because I generally don't like stroganoff or noodles. But I had an extra pound of hamburger and thought I'd try it again.

I had an extra envelope of stroganoff flavoring from who knows where, so I doubled up on that. I also put in an envelope of onion soup mix along with a little extra salt while I was browning the hamburger. Then when the whole thing was done cooking, I stirred in some extra sour cream. Wow, that was sort of good! I had two helpings and could barely get out of my chair to put the dishes in the sink. Next time I'll also add a little Wooster sauce. But I won't be able to double up on the stroganoff seasoning again unless I can figure out where I got that extra envelope from.

pork and coriander dumplings - interesting, have never seen that combo - are they tasty? strong, mild?
Mild? There isn't any heat in the dumplings, but they are tasty.

Pork and coriander dumplings are very common in the freezer section of a good Asian grocer, at least down here.
I usually have a couple of packs of different flavours in the freezer for quick snacks or something for dinner if we don’t feel like cooking.
The level of coriander flavour varies depending upon the brand, but they generally don’t taste overwhelming with the herb.
I prefer to make steamed dumplings, but deep fried is a common variation too.

I would hope that the picture on the packaging is a “worst case scenario” thing because that doesn’t look very appealing to me ☹️
That's what a quick stroganoff looks like. No, it's not pretty, but it sure tastes good. Even traditional stroganoff aren't that pretty.

We don't use that seasoning, but do make our version of hamburger stroganoff. It's a quick, easy, tasty meal that Craig can still make when I don't want to cook.

Agreed! It’s a great tasting dish that never really looks great unless you’re putting a whole heap of thought into it (varietal, colourful mushrooms, maybe some herbs in the pasta dough etc).
I don’t really like or use any powdered sauces, but if I was the marketing guy on that sachet, I’d probably be firing the photographer 🤣

Food is weird. If you didn't know what it was and what it tasted like, you'd never eat some of it from what it looks like. My dad always said lasagne looked like it had already been eaten once.

Hadn't thought of using that. That's not what I had, though. I think what happened is I got a different stroganoff meal kit and just used the noodles and saved the envelope for a later time. I thought double the stroganoff seasoning would be overdoing it, but honestly, it tasted pretty good. So I might do that again.

Food is weird. If you didn't know what it was and what it tasted like, you'd never eat some of it from what it looks like.
Exactly this ^
When me and MrJade met, I was still cheffing at the hotel and (being in those early throes of passion) I cooked some of my best meals.
But he didn’t like them.
“Too spicy! Too salty! Too sweet!”
He was used to banger and mash,
meatloaf with tomato sauce and deep fried everything.
I kept keeping on with him, gradually introducing ingredients like coriander, which he adores.

You know, I think I'm the only person in the world that doesn't like meatloaf with sauce on it. Sometimes after it's baked, I'll add a little ketchup and that's it.

I can relate to Mr. Jade. I'm a meat and potatoes person and if foreign food isn't Americanized, I don't like that either. Good thing I don't like to travel. I'd starve to death.

Food is weird. If you didn't know what it was and what it tasted like, you'd never eat some of it from what it looks like. My dad always said lasagne looked like it had already been eaten once.

Hadn't thought of using that. That's not what I had, though. I think what happened is I got a different stroganoff meal kit and just used the noodles and saved the envelope for a later time. I thought double the stroganoff seasoning would be overdoing it, but honestly, it tasted pretty good. So I might do that again.
There are other brands available.

Back
Top Bottom