Thursday, August 22, 2024 - What magic did you make in your kitchen?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Kathleen

Cupcake
Beef tenderloin with corn relish and smashed potatoes. Banana pudding for dessert. What did you have?

20240822_175807.jpg

Tovala meals. Craig had meatballs with maple-bourbon BBQ sauce, with sweet potatoes with a pecan streusel as a side. I had gnocchi in an Alfredo sauce, with roasted mushrooms and a drizzle of basil vinaigrette. I couldn't eat all of mine so Craig got around 1/3. They were both pretty darn good, even the BBQ sauce I tasted, and I don't like maple normally.

I'll be having fermented 9 grain flakes with blueberries/flax/chia/wheat germ/honey, as I skipped out on breakfast today. He'll have a meal sized salad. We're eating lots of watermelon, the sweetest this year. Pear bread/cake, and black bean brownies, for snacking.

I was in the mood for beef, so I made a hamburger. I had it on a bun made of khorasan wheat (Kamut) flour. There was some red oak leaf lettuce, sliced red onion, sautéed mushrooms, tomato (seeds removed), mayo, and seedy mustard. I also had a couple of those dolmades from a can. That hit the spot.

Hamburger on a khorasan, AKA Kamut, bun with lettuce, red onion, 'shrooms, mayo, and seedy mus...jpg

Last edited:
I'm lazy. I use the boxed just-add-water type. For a while I was making pancakes with flour and an egg and whatnot, but I couldn't tell the difference in taste, so I just went to the boxed stuff because it's easier.But I love pure maple syrup. For a while, the stores carried blueberry and strawberry syrup, too, but I haven't seen those for a while.

I'm lazy. I use the boxed just-add-water type. For a while I was making pancakes with flour and an egg and whatnot, but I couldn't tell the difference in taste, so I just went to the boxed stuff because it's easier.But I love pure maple syrup. For a while, the stores carried blueberry and strawberry syrup, too, but I haven't seen those for a while.
I use the boxed pancake mix as well. The Krusteaz is my favorite brand. So delicious. And I found what seems to be a new flavor (since I had never seen it until recently) is the Krusteaz Sweet Cream pancake mix. Wow, is that good.

However, anytime I use the "complete" pancake mixes, I use milk instead of water and I always add a splash or two of vanilla extract. Makes the pancakes extra yummy.

I use the boxed pancake mix as well. The Krusteaz is my favorite brand. So delicious. And I found what seems to be a new flavor (since I had never seen it until recently) is the Krusteaz Sweet Cream pancake mix. Wow, is that good.

However, anytime I use the "complete" pancake mixes, I use milk instead of water and I always add a splash or two of vanilla extract. Makes the pancakes extra yummy.
Oh, I'm gonna have to look for that one! I never thought about using milk or vanilla. I think I'll try that tomorrow morning.

It was Teen Burger Day for MS at A&W today so we went in honour of our friend. I had a single with onion rings, TB had a double with sweet potato fries. It is the only fast food burger joint we have here! (No McD's, Wendy's, Burger King). There is a Tim Horton's and a Subway, and a couple of diners. But I prefer home cooking anyway.

Mushrooms, onion, garlic, sweet peppers stir fried in butter, then plonked in a bunch of shrimp.

Not buying those larger shrimp again (16/20)- too big to stir fry. Maybe for something in the oven but don't have too many recipes for that way. They seemed tough even though I was super careful.

I love apple syrups. Now I want breakfast!
I used to love IHOP syrups. They would have a hopper on the tables with a bunch of flavors. I loved the fruit and nut flavors. Now they just have maple. :confused:

Back
Top Bottom