The Good & The Bad Of The Prepared Meals That Have Graced Your Table (Or TV Tray)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I came across something I hadn't expected to find, already cooked whole grain basmati rice in a bag that is ready after 2 minutes in the microwave. It's a lot more expensive than cooking the rice myself, but this stuff would be very handy on occasion. So, I got some with the grocery order that was delivered today. There has been more than one meal I didn't feel like making because I would have had to wait for the rice to be ready.

ready to heat brown basmati rice.jpg
ready to heat brown basmati rice pkg back.jpg

I've not had that particular brand taxy, but I have bought pre-cooked rice. Very tasty and extremely handy! Think you will like it.

Plus it is shelf stable for almost 2 years if I am reading the date on the bottom of that bag correctly - which makes it even handier!

I've not had that particular brand taxy, but I have bought pre-cooked rice. Very tasty and extremely handy! Think you will like it.

Plus it is shelf stable for almost 2 years if I am reading the date on the bottom of that bag correctly - which makes it even handier!
Well, I do hope I like it. I have bought brown basmati from this brand, Tilda, and it was good. It had a lot more flavour than Lundberg brown basmati.

When I have more spare space in my freezer, I always keep single serving packets, wrapped in waxed paper and stuck in a large zipper bag. It doesn't take more effort to make extra rice when you are cooking rice anyways. I've been doing that since before I had my first microwave oven.

I use microwave rice when I just want a single serving of rice. Minute Rice has small, single serving cups that are fine, once you mix them with a bowl of gumbo or beans. I have a rice cooker, but I can't make one serving of rice in it.

CD

I still make the rice in the cooker, divide into 3, one immediate, 2nd in a day or so, and freeze the last if I don't think I'll have it soon.

Sorry, but I don't understand the issue with cooking rice. You bring the water or stock to boil, add the seasonings and rice, stir, cover, bring back to boil, turn heat off and let it sit for 20 minutes or so while you are cooking rest of food. Cooks perfectly.

Of course, that doesn't work for brown rice, which takes longer to cook.

Minute Rice, well, no thanks.

I can't speak for others but for me it is a matter of burners and space available. Only bought the rice cooker when I moved here. It is very handy and I love it. For me it is also a matter of timing. Not very good at remembering when it is time to put it on. I think of it all day and then when the time comes... I forget. :bangin:

I can't speak for others but for me it is a matter of burners and space available. Only bought the rice cooker when I moved here. It is very handy and I love it. For me it is also a matter of timing. Not very good at remembering when it is time to put it on. I think of it all day and then when the time comes... I forget. :bangin:
I start the rice first. It sits and cooks all by itself and, if it sits longer, it doesn't hurt the rice since it's off the heat.

That is really a good idea medtran. Unfortunately too late for me but I will certainly remember should the need arise. Do you use a heavy pot or cast iron? My go-to was my enameled cast iron for making rice.

Aside from all that, with risotto (which we were talking about on another thread) it won't work as you add your hot liquid a little at a time. I never realized that risotto was also often used as the 'main'. I can certainly understand that as I could eat just the mushroom risotto and nothing else - I'd be a happy camper!

That is really a good idea medtran. Unfortunately too late for me but I will certainly remember should the need arise. Do you use a heavy pot or cast iron? My go-to was my enameled cast iron for making rice.

Aside from all that, with risotto (which we were talking about on another thread) it won't work as you add your hot liquid a little at a time. I never realized that risotto was also often used as the 'main'. I can certainly understand that as I could eat just the mushroom risotto and nothing else - I'd be a happy camper!
I use a heavy bottomed stainless pot. We bought a set years ago not long after Craig and I got together, so they are 30+ years old. They weren't cheap by any stretch of the imagination, but I think we've gotten our money's worth, and then some.

I eat risotto as a main all the time, especially mushroom as that is my favorite, though a lightly lemon flavored and asparagus risotto with seared diver scallops is a close second.

Back
Top Bottom