Small soup

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Kevin86

Senior Cook
Hey everybody, we’re looking at the season approaching again. I’ve always liked soups. I’d make a big pot every week thermos for lunch it’s great.

But it’s just me eating it so I’m trying to to use a smaller sauce pan or casserole dish and make it just for a couple or few days instead.

What do you guys do to make smaller soups but still get all the goodness of a big soup into it?

It's more difficult to make a soup that is only 1 qt or 1.5 qts that has a wide variety of ingredients.
Any chance you can freeze half a recipe for a couple weeks? You'd get more variety in any one week if that is possible.

Doctoring up canned soups adding more ingredients to a premade soup is an option. That morning, open the soup, pour half in the sauce pan, add one or a few things, beans/potatoes/rice/ vegetables, cooked hamburger/seasoning or condiments. Just keep in mind that if you add pasta, it tends to soak up all the liquid, so add it as close to when you eat it as possible.

Last edited:
I tend to make about 6 cups at a time.

I start with four cups of broth, water, tomato juice, milk, or some combination, add two cups of vegetables, and two tablespoons of raw rice. Season and simmer for 15-20 minutes until the vegetables and rice are cooked.

Sometimes I add a can of cream of something soup at the end.

I usually use fresh vegetables but sometimes I use frozen mixed vegetables or frozen mirepoix.

You can leave out the rice or swap it for a quarter cup of small macaroni.

Keeping a one quart soup bucket in the freezer to hold dibs and dabs of various compatible leftover vegetables, beans, gravy/sauces, etc. is another way to go.
Simmer the contents in broth with a few fresh vegetables for a sort of minestrone.

Just wing it!

Last edited:
Fall favorites:
3 Bean Italian Soup
Saute in 1 T. oil or water, 1 onion chopped.
ADD:
24 oz can diced tomatoes
24 oz can red kidney beans
16 oz can garbanzo beans
12 oz can white beans
1 and 1/2 tsp basil
1/2 - 1 tsp garlic
1/2 -1 tsp celery salt (ground celery seed plus salt)
salt and pepper (or nu salt) to taste
Cook 30 minutes, add 2-3 cups sliced zucchini, cook for 15 minutes and serve.

Tuscan 3 bean and sausage soup
flippindelicious.com/tuscan-three-bean-sausage-soup-recipe/

2 teaspoons oil
½ an onion, diced
1 teaspoon minced garlic
1 cup pre-cooked gluten free sausage, cut in pieces
1 (15oz) can diced tomatoes, rinsed and drained
1(14.5oz) can sliced carrots, rinsed and drained
1 (15oz) can cannellini beans, rinsed and drained
1 (15oz) can garbonzo beans, rinsed and drained
1 (15oz) can light kidney beans, rinsed and drained
4 cups chicken broth
1 cup fresh spinach
salt and pepper to taste

It's more difficult to make a soup that is only 1 qt or 1.5 qts that has a wide variety of ingredients.
Any chance you can freeze half a recipe for a couple weeks? You'd get more variety in any one week if that is possible.

Doctoring up canned soups adding more ingredients to a premade soup is an option. That morning, open the soup, pour half in the sauce pan, add one or a few things, beans/potatoes/rice/ vegetables, cooked hamburger/seasoning or condiments. Just keep in mind that if you add pasta, it tends to soak up all the liquid, so add it as close to when you eat it as possible.
I do freeze some to but I make alot of soup lol

The potato soup I used to make made a huge amount. These days, because I don't like chopping potatoes, I get the diced hash browns in the store and that only gives me something like 5 to 6 servings of soup. Most of the time I freeze most of it, but I have been known to just eat soup for lunch and dinner for a couple-three days and and then I have nothing left to freeze. But I only do that when I've been super busy for a few days and just don't have time to cook. Besides, I love my potato soup.

I stayed up till midnight just to see my Steelers give the game to the dallas cowturds in the last seconds. :mad:

At least my pizza was good. (y)

CD

Some soups work well in smaller batches, like a quart and a half or two. Here's a scrumptious soup that I make with homemade bulk Italian sausage. I usually use 500 grams of ground pork to make that bulk Italian sausage. It seems to be plenty of meat.

It makes about six supper sized servings.

Last edited:
Some soups work well in smaller batches, like a quart and a half or two. Here's a scrumptious soup that I make with homemade bulk Italian sausage. I usually use 500 grams of ground pork to make that bulk Italian sausage. It seems to be plenty of meat.

It makes about six supper sized servings.
Have you posted your sausage recipe? I'd be interested. I've never made homemade sausage.

Have you posted your sausage recipe? I'd be interested. I've never made homemade sausage.
I don't believe I have posted it.

Here you go:

And here's another recipe for Italian sausage that I use sometimes. It's from Chef John:

Hey Kevin! nice to see you again!

By small batches do you just mean like 2 maybe 4 servings? Smallest I ever made was 4 large or 6 medium servings. I also make single servings when I do a WonTon soup style. But that's for immediate consumption.
I'll have to check my recipes and see if I can find anything small.

Back
Top Bottom