Show Me Your Perfect Breakfast Egg

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I made my husband his first ever scrambled egg sandwich. It was 2 eggs scrambled with dashes of cream, pepper, and salt with a slice of American cheese melted in while cooking, then placed inside of 2 slices of soft pumpernickel bread slathered with mayonnaise. I put some bacon pieces inside of it. It's not quite like when I was a kid (just scrambled eggs with salt and pepper with mayonnaise inside of white bread) but he really seemed to like it. How anyone can go over 50 years and never have eaten a scrambled egg sandwich is beyond me!
This reminds me of a funny story. As a new bride, my mother was hanging out with her new SIL (also a new bride.) For lunch, their husbands wanted an egg sandwich. Momma made a scrambled egg sandwich in butter and bacon grease, and gave it to Dad who immediately asked her what it was because 'it's not like momma makes.' The SIL decided to make her husband a more proper scrambled egg sandwich. She beat the eggs frothy, added a cap of milk, seasoned them, gently cooked and folded them bread size. She took it to my uncle who looked at it and said 'that's not like mom makes!' My mother had a moment of brilliance and decided they wanted FRIED egg sandwiches. She made them both a fried egg sandwich where the yolks were thickened but still could drip. No, not like momma made either.

Both were pretty dejected - we are talking the 50s here. So they dutifully went to their MIL who listened and patted hands before taking them to the kitchen where she fired up the skillet, dumped some grease in and tossed a couple eggs in to a sizzling skillet and watched them dance in grease as the whites crisped on edges before she took a fork and pierced the yellows. Then she flipped and pressed the eggs so they oozed all the yellow into the grease. She then put the grease-drippy eggs on white bread and cut them in half. Evidently this was the equivalent of ambrosia to Dad and Uncle Ken. :LOL:

Jusa wrote: Nor all of the burgers and other things between bread where they top them with a fried egg. Just okay but didn't really belong there, IMO.

Ditto ditto ditto.

taxy - poached egg on toast is certainly not considered a sandwich in my books :LOL:

My scrambled egg (that I sometimes call an omelet if it comes out really nice) is beaten to death with a flat whisk, an extra blob of egg white, a blob of heavy cream (even just milk if that's all that's available) then gently fried in a pan with butter.
So soft and tender. Sometimes there will be cheese or mushrooms, spinach or left over vegies.

Fried egg sandwiches on cheap supermarket white bread were standard survival food when I was starting out in my first little apartment.

It’s amazing how many different meals you can come up with using only a few inexpensive ingredients. 🥚🍞🥛🥓🥔

I made my husband his first ever scrambled egg sandwich. It was 2 eggs scrambled with dashes of cream, pepper, and salt with a slice of American cheese melted in while cooking, then placed inside of 2 slices of soft pumpernickel bread slathered with mayonnaise. I put some bacon pieces inside of it. It's not quite like when I was a kid (just scrambled eggs with salt and pepper with mayonnaise inside of white bread) but he really seemed to like it. How anyone can go over 50 years and never have eaten a scrambled egg sandwich is beyond me!
I used to go to the diner where I would wait for the bus to work. I would order 2 eggs scrambled soft on a very lightly buttered (thin schmear) roll with sliced tomato and a large tomato juice with lemon. Eaten on bus on way to work.

I used to go to the diner where I would wait for the bus to work. I would order 2 eggs scrambled soft on a very lightly buttered (thin schmear) roll with sliced tomato and a large tomato juice with lemon. Eaten on bus on way to work.
I'd be wearing that sandwich, LOL. Which is why I own very few items of white clothing, because it will be stained rather quickly.

LOL - well, I'm now 79 and can honestly say I have never had a scrambled egg sandwich! :LOL:
I have had a fried egg sandwich, twice, and can honestly say ... meh... just put them on a plate and toast on the side, thank you.

I do, however, love chopped egg or egg salad sandwiches.
You don't know what you're missing. I have eaten a lot of scrambled egg and American cheese sandwiches and for me the key is not to put very much cheese. Really a half of a piece and two eggs scrambled is enough for me. And then I eat that with some mayonnaise on bread that isn't toasted.

But when I make breakfast meat egg sandwiches I fry the egg over easy and toast the bread and usually use something more substantial like cheddar or monterey jack and plenty of it. I love eggs and egg sandwiches.

Just like corn, it's hard to ruin it.

And yes yard eggs are by far the best!!

Honestly! The perfect egg for breakfast? Is obviously 2 eggs (free range), a shot of salt and a good dose of pepper, whisked to a frenzy with a balloon whisk, then dumped into a small pan with melted butter. Stir crazily til a soft, blobby consistency, and then turn out onto a Bird's Eye Potato Waffle. Utter heaven.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom