Show Me Your Perfect Breakfast Egg

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Chief Longwind Of The North

Certified/Certifiable
I made tis egg dish for breakfast this morning. They are called basted eggs, which seams a misnomer to me, as they are gently fried, then steamed. My Stepfather basted his eggs in the bacon greased, splashing the hot grease over top until the membrane turned pink on top of the yolk. For these eggs, I melted a pat of butter in a non-stick skillet over medium heat. Just when the butter started to bubble. I sprinkled salt and pepper onto the pan where the eggs would be placed. I then broke the eggs onto the pan and cooked just until most of the egg white set. I then place about two tbs. of water into the pan and put on the pan lid. The scant amount of water quickly turned to steam and finished cooking the egg, no runny whites, and a perfectly runny egg yolk. I plated the egg, and grilled a piece of bread in the same pan.

These eggs come out as delicate as a perfectly poached egg, but are so easy to make. The seasoning on the bottom of the egg enhances the presentation, IMHO. If you haven't tried this method, and like what we called dunkin' eggs, as a child, or dippy eggs, give this a try. i believe you will enjoy the results.

Seeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Attachments

• 20211218_110347.jpg
    20211218_110347.jpg
    70.4 KB · Views: 55
  • 20211218_110338.jpg
    20211218_110338.jpg
    68.6 KB · Views: 49
I keep it simple. Fried in bacon grease, or butter if grease isn't available, on medium-low. Salt and pepper (maybe a little paprika). When whites are done, flip to sear the top a little, then onto the plate and into my belly.

I've made steamed eggs since I was in my teens. My great aunt lived with us; before she was widowed, she and her husband owned a "lunch counter" restaurant. She made steamed eggs on the flat top then. Showed me how to do them in a pan.

When Himself and I got married, he told me how his Mom would baste eggs with bacon grease, something we didn't do. I switched him over to steamed pretty quick!

My idea of a perfect breakfast egg.. is poached on leftover (usually) or fresh ingredients. Usually starts with a piece of toast or English Muffin under. Vegies vary from spinach to asparagus, mushrooms, onion, zucchini. Shrimp, bacon, ham. Then finally topped with the poached egg. (stock pictures)

Attachments

• 20180821_082158.jpg
    20180821_082158.jpg
    51.9 KB · Views: 42
  • 20180823_102826.jpg
    20180823_102826.jpg
    56.2 KB · Views: 48
  • 20180826_114310.jpg
    20180826_114310.jpg
    57.9 KB · Views: 40
My perfect egg - perfectly poached, on a bed of sauteed spinach & mushrooms, atop a toasted English muffin, and finished off with grated Parmesan Reggiano.

Attachments

• florentine benedict - Copy.jpg
    florentine benedict - Copy.jpg
    43.2 KB · Views: 47
How strange, Silversage, as similar as your beautiful egg is to mine, I never thought of grating on some Parm! Often some cheddar under but never Parm above! LOL

For me it's all about the yolk. A perfectly cooked runny yolk is one of the most captivating flavors ever. When frying eggs, I usually trim off much of the egg white and just focus on the yolk.

I'll try to remember to take a pic the next time I do eggs.

[FONT=Times New Roman, serif]The same process, using a lot less water, maximizes the flavor and crispness of a grilled cheese sandwich.[/FONT]

Omelet and hashbrowns anytime of the day is my favorite meal. This one has hollandaise for a little extra fun!

omelet.jpg

My only request when it comes to eggs is that the whites are completely cooked. I like the yolk to be slightly thickened when I want to dip toast into it.

I didn't take a picture, gosh darn it! I've been experimenting with the new e-griddle. I think the perfect Froached egg for us is 300 degrees for 3 minutes, remove the mold and watch for the white to turn solid. They were perfect with French toast this last weekend. With the large cooking space, I could easily make enough for a crowd.

Back
Top Bottom