Sciatica?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
PT did't help me at all, either.

I've had a few MRIs, and they are not a big deal. Yes, it is noisy in the tunnel, but they can give you earplugs. It is cramped in there, too, but I don't find it claustrophobic at all. The worst part is having to lie perfectly still and hold your breath while the scan is actually happening. I always feel an itch somewhere at that time, and can't scratch it. :ROFLMAO:

The image they make is amazing. Imagine an x-ray, but ten-times clearer and more detailed. Your neurologist/neurosurgeon will know exactly what is going on with an MRI.

A small dose of Ativan should make it a breeze.

CD
Ahh yes, the itch. It always comes when both hands are full as well :ROFLMAO:

Hold your breath?!?!?!? Do you have to do that the whole time????

Ahh yes, the itch. It always comes when both hands are full as well :ROFLMAO:

Hold your breath?!?!?!? Do you have to do that the whole time????

No, an audible and visual signal inside the tunnel will tell to take a deep breath, and hold it. It's maybe 15 seconds??? Then it will tell you to breathe again. I have found that a medium breath is easier to hold, at least for me. I take a deep breath, and let some out.

CD

No, an audible and visual signal inside the tunnel will tell to take a deep breath, and hold it. It's maybe 15 seconds??? Then it will tell you to breathe again. I have found that a medium breath is easier to hold, at least for me. I take a deep breath, and let some out.

CD
Sheesh, I was gonna say! I'll be dead by the time they bring me out of that thing, LOL.

I recently had a mammogram and you always have to hold your breath during the actual scan, but it's only about 6 or 7 seconds.

Yep. Definitely taking my Ativan for this one :online2lo

Sheesh, I was gonna say! I'll be dead by the time they bring me out of that thing, LOL.

I recently had a mammogram and you always have to hold your breath during the actual scan, but it's only about 6 or 7 seconds.

Yep. Definitely taking my Ativan for this one :online2lo

It is really not a terrible experience. It is a little uncomfortable, but I'd put the discomfort level below the same amount of time in a dentist's office. A lot lower.

CD

It is really not a terrible experience. It is a little uncomfortable, but I'd put the discomfort level below the same amount of time in a dentist's office. A lot lower.

CD
That's very good to know. As long as they give me a fluffy pillow for my head because I can't lay straight back without head support.

I'm glad she's pain-free. I would give anything for just one day of being able to walk normally. It's been almost 5 months now of literally just hobbling around. Most nights I can't get comfortable in bed, either. Sometimes I break down in tears because I'm so tired of living this way.
Oh Linda, that sounds horrible. I hope this MRI gives your medical team the info to get you healed quickly and effectively. (((Hugs)))

They will make you as comfortable as possible, so yes, you will have a pillow for your head.

CD
I may need two pillows, if the pillows are too flat.

Something else that occurred to me... they've asked me if I have any metal in my body. I said no, because I do not. However, I wear an upper partial (due to having several teeth pulled over the years) that once cracked and I had to send it to my dentist for repair. It appears they used some sort of a mesh to reinforce the partial and, I can't tell for certain, but it looks like it may be made of some sort of metal?

I'm wondering if I need to worry about that for a lumbar spine MRI. I'll tell them about it, but it would be awkward for me to have to take my partial out for the scan. I will, of course, if they recommend it. But, again, I can't tell if the mesh is metal or some other type of material. I should probably call my dentist today to find out.

I may need two pillows, if the pillows are too flat.

Something else that occurred to me... they've asked me if I have any metal in my body. I said no, because I do not. However, I wear an upper partial (due to having several teeth pulled over the years) that once cracked and I had to send it to my dentist for repair. It appears they used some sort of a mesh to reinforce the partial and, I can't tell for certain, but it looks like it may be made of some sort of metal?

I'm wondering if I need to worry about that for a lumbar spine MRI. I'll tell them about it, but it would be awkward for me to have to take my partial out for the scan. I will, of course, if they recommend it. But, again, I can't tell if the mesh is metal or some other type of material. I should probably call my dentist today to find out.

I don't know about that. Just ask. I'm sure you won't be the first person they've encountered with metal dental work. I know my two metal fillings didn't matter.

You are thinking too much about this. It is a very routine procedure. Like I mentioned, I'll take an MRI over any dental appointment any day.

CD

I don't know about that. Just ask. I'm sure you won't be the first person they've encountered with metal dental work. I know my two metal fillings didn't matter.

You are thinking too much about this. It is a very routine procedure. Like I mentioned, I'll take an MRI over any dental appointment any day.

CD
I know. But I'm just asking what experiences are like and I'm always worried I'm going to do something to screw the whole thing up. That's my anxiety kicking in full gear when I have to go through something I've never been through before.

:rolleyes: <----- rolling my eyes at myself

Back
Top Bottom