Pita Bread Help!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
For most of them yes. Two out of ten turned out as pizza crust..
Not bad, not bad at all. (y)

We use the ones that don't poof as fold overs for leftovers.

Instead of using wet hands though, you need to keep your dough as soft as possible, but still workable. Need to keep the flour in the dough hydrated. Wet hands only contribute to surface moisture, which won't contribute to inner dough moisture to create the steam to poof.

You NEVER add all the flour to dough when making any kind of dough. You always want to keep at least 1/2 cup in reserve to add as needed. Humidity in the air makes a difference. I keep my flours either in the freezer for those I don't use often, or in airtight containers for those I do like AP or bread flours so they aren't subject to daily changes in humidity. You aren't much better in Alabama than I am in South Florida regarding high humidity and widely varying changes.

Last edited:
If you were using them like croutons, why did it matter whether they puffed or not?

Did you try the placement trick/flip? Covering them after they baked wasn't the point, just part of the paragraph.
They serve a dual purpose. One as as crouton. Second as a pita pocket to eat the salad out of. No, I didn't use the placement trick/flip, I have a large silicone spatula I use for flipping

This is why I'm making pita

Fattoush Salad

Last edited:
Instead of using wet hands though, you need to keep your dough as soft as possible, but still workable. Need to keep the flour in the dough hydrated. Wet hands only contribute to surface moisture, which won't contribute to inner dough moisture to create the steam to poof.
Noted. I always have trouble with finding the sweet spot between a soft dough that is still workable or hard as a mud pie.. . Mine are either so soft its like the kids toy slime, or hard as a mud pie..
Humidity in the air makes a difference. I keep my flours either in the freezer for those I don't use often, or in airtight containers for those I do like AP or bread flours so they aren't subject to daily changes in humidity. You aren't much better in Alabama than I am in South Florida regarding high humidity and widely varying changes.
I keep mine in the paper bag they are sold in and place that in zip locks, but as you probably know that doesn't work well in a place where when you walk outside this time of year it feels like you've walked into a sauna.. I have very limited space in the refrigerator or freezer. I may have to buy airtight containers.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom