Petty Vents

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
That is a lot of fat! However, here in Texas every last drop would be used up in frying. Personally, I don't, but many Texans have a coffee can (washed out, of course) in which to store bacon fat. I think bacon fat is part of the food pyramid in Texas.

It hit me today why I don't really care for commercially canned Soup ... the after taste! :alien: It's a very chemical, tinny taste to me. I made mention that I was starting to get heart burn this afternoon after a what I thought was a "good-quick" lunch of Progresso Soup and DH said, "what? you didn't have any homemade soup ready to go?" NOPE!

I hear yuh Kgirl! re the bacon. When I buy bacon it disgusts me the way they've now changed packaging to hide the fat and meat streaks. In the back of the pkg is 3/4 windows that still do not give you a true idea of what you are buying.
They arrange the pkgs all front up, no meat visible. I stand there and flip them all upside down so I can see. Makes a mess of the display but I refuse to buy a 'pig in the poke'.

@dragnlaw I'm with you! I won't buy any Bacon that I can't see first!
This is how Kirkland packages their Bacon
IMG_2245.JPG

The meat is visible on both sides.

Just as an experiment, I defrosted a package of Kirkland Brand Thick Cut Bacon, and cooked off 6 slices this morning. Some for breakfast and some for a recipe later today...

IMG_2246.JPG IMG_2241.JPG
This is the Kirkland brand ................... this is the "on sale" grocery store brand
Both are 1 cup ramakins :oops:
AND the taste of the Kirkland brand Bacon is far and away better, in all ways possible!

I get that same after effect, @Kaneohegirlinaz. It's just that sometimes you have to pick between canned soup or going hungry, right?
That's how I was feeling the other day!
I could have waited and de-frosted some homemade soup that I always have in the deep freeze, but I had been out most of the day and didn't eat anything all day ... very hangry!! I could almost through that bowl of canned soup, almost.

That is a lot of fat! However, here in Texas every last drop would be used up in frying. Personally, I don't, but many Texans have a coffee can (washed out, of course) in which to store bacon fat. I think bacon fat is part of the food pyramid in Texas.
:LOL:
One of my old camping buddies would say it is her "secret ingredient"...o_O
@GinnyPNW and here I always thought that the secret ingredient was love ...
Bacon fat is great stuff. A friend used to use it to fry eggs, especially when he was out of, or couldn't afford, actual bacon. It does add a little flavour to whats being cooked.
Agreed @taxlady !!

I keep an old plastic tub of whatever that had a good tight lid, like this ...
IMG_2242.JPG

I use it for many different things. The covered tub lives in the back of the `fridge, where it's the coldest. I like to finish steamed/boiled vegetables with a small amount of Bacon grease and some S&P :wub:

I like to stay ahead of things. I buy my Christmas cards in October. I make sure to have them addressed and ready well before Thanksgiving, 'cuz then things start getting too hectic.

I found some cute cards...actually, DH found them. I was struggling to find something this year. He found some nice cards and at a very good price. Win-win. Earlier today, I ordered my Christmas stamps online from USPS, 'cuz the local USPS never has the stamps when I want to buy them.

Next step is to print out the address labels. I reviewed my Christmas List Contract file. Edited it as needed (one person moved) and then went to Word to print out the list and it says, " You must have a" Word Program that matches the Outlook Program, or some such nonsense! GRRRRR.

I have a gmail account for email. Earlier this year, Google said they are updating/changing whatever and you need to have Outlook 2016 or later to use it with gmail after X-date. Grrrrr. So, I searched high and low to find someone selling Outlook 2019 as a standalone program ON A DISK. That was tricky! And not cheap either.

It seems like a conspiracy or something!? I don't want a new Outlook program. I don't want to pay for it and I don't want to have to switch and I don't want to learn a new program either.

Fortunately, I always keep a copy of the labels list. Why? Details. I love details! So, all I have to do is to change that one address and print it out again. Sigh. Glad I thought of it!!

We now return you to your regular programming...or something like that? ?

It's a revenue model. If you keep the same old software forever, they can't sell you something new. The only way to sell you something new (and keep revenues up) is to keep the old version from working. (I work for a software company).

... Next step is to print out the address labels. I reviewed my Christmas List Contract file. Edited it as needed (one person moved) and then went to Word to print out the list and it says, " You must have a" Word Program that matches the Outlook Program, or some such nonsense! GRRRRR.

I have a gmail account for email. Earlier this year, Google said they are updating/changing whatever and you need to have Outlook 2016 or later to use it with gmail after X-date. Grrrrr. So, I searched high and low to find someone selling Outlook 2019 as a standalone program ON A DISK. That was tricky! And not cheap either.

It seems like a conspiracy or something!? I don't want a new Outlook program. I don't want to pay for it and I don't want to have to switch and I don't want to learn a new program either.
There are a couple of reasons for this. One is that the companies don't want to provide support for old versions of software forever, so they

Daylight Savings Time! I hate it with all this switching time on clocks, getting used to being early/late because your friend forgot to adjust clocks. The worst part is trying to convince the cat that we are feeding her at the usual time. She isn't buying it.
Old Indian observation: Only the government would think cutting a foot off the top of a blanket and sewing in on the bottom of the blanket would result in a longer blanket.

Daylight Savings Time! I hate it with all this switching time on clocks, getting used to being early/late because your friend forgot to adjust clocks. The worst part is trying to convince the cat that we are feeding her at the usual time. She isn't buying it.
Old Indian observation: Only the government would think cutting a foot off the top of a blanket and sewing in on the bottom of the blanket would result in a longer blanket.
There is a bill making its way through Congress that would make DST permanent. Although I'm not bothered by the semi-annual clock change, I'm all for it. Contact your representatives in Washington and encourage them to vote for the bill.

Back
Top Bottom