Oysters

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Oyster Shooters

39817-albums888-picture8472.jpg
[/IMG]

If corn mea; and panko are too crunchy, uncooked farina gives a great, soft crunch when mixed half and half with flour. Also, tempura is a softer crunch as well.

If usi, the flour/farina, i would season with salt, pepper, and maybe Old Bay. Drake's Fish fry coating would also be good on fried oysters.

I used to enjoy oyster stew, that is until I bit into an oyster one time and it had a pasty green stuff inside. I haven't been able to eat oysters since. I do love clamps, and all other seafood I've tried.

Seeeeya; Chuef Longwind of th North

Oyster Shooters

39817-albums888-picture8472.jpg
[/IMG]

Beautiful. Looks great and I am certain it tastes even better.
Did you shuck those or get them out of a container?
And is that cocktail sauce?
Thanks.....Looks like something I am into trying.

Chief. Yes, tempura was something I was thinking about.
I saw that lots of people double flour oysters and drop them. Might be the easy option and maybe the best?

Grill them like they do in NOLA. You can partially grill them enough so they are easier to open, then put the compound butter mixture of your choice on the oyster in the shell and finish grilling them. Google "french market grilled oysters" and you'll get recipes for various butters. No snotty texture. Be careful not to overcook them though.

I think you'll really like them grilled. I like them raw with fresh squeezed lemon juice and/or hot sauce (Crystal, which is really not that hot) depending on what kind of oyster it is, but I love grilled oysters and have been known to make a piggy of myself on them.

There are a couple of places locally we can get specific types of fresh oysters from the Atlantic coast, the Gulf coast, and the Pacific coast. They aren't cheap when you buy like that though. One of my favorites is Wianno (sp ?) and you just squeeze a little lemon juice on them.

My BIL used to place the preshucked ones in muffin tins with a small piece of raw bacon, butter, hot sauce and the oyster, maybe something else, then bake them. The bacon piece was still a bit chewy. I don't remember details exactly and Craig can't right now, but I remember we both thought the bacon completely overpowered the oyster flavor.

Use fine corn meal mixed with flour and you won't get that real coarse/rough texture. You can also run panko through the food processor before using and the texture will be finer.

Last edited:
It's like 4:00 am and I'm up as always thinking about cooking something.

I turned on the TV and low and behold there is a program I hadn't seen before. LXTV 1st Look.

This morning there is this food journalist "Johnny Banana's" and he's in France speaking with a salt maker and on to an Oyster Farmer.

The Farm grows Oysters on strings and explains the methods & purpose of his industry. But he says this technology is a couple of hundred years old.

Ahhh...I've read where the ancient Roman's used it way back then. In a once city known as Balae which has sunken below the ocean near Naples where Oysters were reportedly grown using a similar system and were said to be the finest available in those times.

https://globalfirstsandfacts.com/2017/06/12/oyster-farming-circa-110-bce/

But here is the link to the 1st Look program.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o2uSJ8em2LU

I've not seen Oysters marketed in my area by variety. I think they are all generic here.

Last edited:
Grill them like they do in NOLA. You can partially grill them enough so they are easier to open, then put the compound butter mixture of your choice on the oyster in the shell and finish grilling them. Google "french market grilled oysters" and you'll get recipes for various butters. No snotty texture. Be careful not to overcook them though.

They are in a plastic container from Costco. If they were still in the shell, I would have not asked for help.
I have never purchased any this way. I had an urge for oysters and these were the first oysters I saw. I am 250 miles from the coast as well.
Thank you though.

You could do them in the little muffin tins. The ones that are 12 to each tin. That would be about the same size cup area as a shell.

Beautiful. Looks great and I am certain it tastes even better.
Did you shuck those or get them out of a container?
And is that cocktail sauce?
Thanks.....Looks like something I am into trying.

Chief. Yes, tempura was something I was thinking about.
I saw that lots of people double flour oysters and drop them. Might be the easy option and maybe the best?

Pacific Oysters shucked, homemade cocktail sauce Bud lite Chelada and homemade Hot Sauce...

Went to Cape Cod on my honeymoon (a Wyoming boy in a strange land). My wife knew the place and drove out to Menemsha, where there was a wee fishmonger on the quay. She bought a heap of oysters and borrowed a knife. I opened the champagne. Loved fresh oysters ever since.

When I lived in New Zealand (second wife) we loved the seafood. Oysters from the Bluff are famous and there are oyster farms all over. After we returned to the 'States, I bought an oyster knife and learned to shuck them.

The local market had some Pacific oysters that looked decent, so I bought ten. Shucked them without hacking off a finger and served them on the half shell with boiled corn, bread, and New Zealand Mud House sauvignon blanc. Heaven!

B1L2ped.jpg

With my father from the Maritimes - yup, we all ate oysters.

My father used to celebrate their anniversary with a huge cocktail party (dates this story, doesn't it). I was I think 8 or 9, we were in Minnesota, I had just mastered the oyster knife, much to my father's pride. He had 2 huge crates of oysters shipped in for their anniversary party. (lucky mom spent most of the day before scrubbing them in the laundry tub - LOL, happy anniversary!) Those crates were huge! I and my brother could have fit inside.

So at the party, I'm glued to the table, busy opening and eating to my hearts content, a lady guests came up and said... eeeeww! how can you eat those things alive? Believe it or not, it never occurred to me. I spent a lot of my summers in the maritimes. Just something that never crossed my mind.

Well at that age I guess it just hit me, yuck! Alive! But I still wanted to open them so I started opening them for other guests who didn't want to wield a knife. Until my father saw what I was doing. New rule - you eat what you open - gulp. So I swallowed 'em whole, after about 2 or 3 I thought of them swimming around in my tummy.

Never ate another oyster for about 26 years. Finally tried them and yeah, sort'a like them but most I will eat are 3 or 4. Either with just a squirt of lemon or hot sauce. NEVER COOKED, yecchhh!

Clam chowder, linguine are great, love 'em. Have a friend who loves clams raw - nope, not for me.

Funny how our tastes and habits change and influence us.

My sister's family (Oklahoma) have huge Prairie Oyster Shindigs every season.

My favorite way is with a compound butter, just barely cooked/grilled, and I mean just barely, like they do in NOLA. We had these within last couple of weeks.

Attachments

• 2021-05-26 19.11.39.jpg
    2021-05-26 19.11.39.jpg
    60.5 KB · Views: 73
Living on Cape Cod, there are oysters everywhere. There's a commercial oyster bed very near our house. Pleasant Bay oysters. We kayak over there from time to time. The oyster guys go out every day in their boat, even in the winter when its very cold.

That said, I can eat dozens and dozens of raw oysters at a time. I chew and love them. Cooked oysters not so much.

Amazing how everyone's taste differs.

Being inland, I didn't realize that they would go for the oysters in winter. I'm surprised, (but not astounded LOL, fishing boats breed tough people). Inland the have "seasons" but I guess you could always get them from a fishmonger.

Just noticed in my post I called the oyster my dad brought in were in crates - No, they were barrels, and packed with seaweed around them. Don't see that anymore I guess.

I really like oysters. Not so much raw on the half-shell, but my favorites include Oysters Rockefeller, the Elliot's (Seattle) pan fried w/bourbon sauce recipe I linked above, and Paul Prudhomme's Tasso and Oyster on Pasta (possibly my all time favorite - although this one calls for spaghetti, while his L.A. "Orleans" restaurant served it up with fettuccine which IMHO was way better).

Unfortunately, can't get fresh oysters where I now live so these are things of the past, but for those of you that can, these are highly recommended.

Back
Top Bottom