Online cooking classes??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SEEING-TO-BELIEVE

Head Chef
in this guide they mention some online cooking classes at the end.

and i'm wondering what is exactly an online cooking class? how does it works?

Just a sampling.

Masterclass

Just Google "online cooking class". There are a multitude of offerings.

Seeing to believe - the only way you are going to know is to go to their sites and see what they say.

They are not all the same - except for one small factor - they all cost money.

That article is about gift giving. They are suggesting gifts for cooking newbies, enthusiasts, etc...

are you looking for yourself or as a gift.
If you are trying to learn for yourself, I suggest checking out the video's on Youtube. But choose known chefs and sites.
I myself can suggest,
ATK - America's Test Kitchen
Recipe Tin Eats
French Cooking Academy

There are not video for each and every recipe but watching some of them will give you an idea if you even like their teaching techniques.
ATK and French Cooking Academy do sell cooking classes. They are all pretty specific about the classes. If you like what you see and can afford the classes - then go for it!

Make sure you go to a very reputable site.

Because any moran can start up an online “cooking school”

Sadly to say, there are a lot of swindlers out to get naive peoples’ money.

Maybe run your ideas past us

Last edited:
There's one that you can access 24/7, it's free, and you get to choose your instructor and whatever foods you want to learn about and it's drumroll........ "You Tube" :brows:

How will he know if it's any good unless there are some recommendations from people, which I'm thinking is why he (seeing to believe) is asking. So what have you heard about this school? Is it really Escoffier? or just someone who claims to be schooled by him and representing him?

Worth the cost - depends on how deep you need your knowledge, no?

Ive taken courses that are Live. Ingredients and recipe given ahead of time. You can get everything and cook along, or you can just watch the demo. Benefit of live is you can ask real time questions and get real time answers. Im not crazy about cooking along, cause I can't be as attentive if Im to busy cooking and worrying about what's going on in my own kitchen. The recorded class is them emailed to you for future reference.

This day and age, there are so many outlets to see/ view recipes, techniques ... Unless you see the benefit of a Real time class, or its someone you know/ respect and want too learn from them ( assuming they already dont have content on you tube or where ever), then I'd say just see what's out there and freely available before investing.

There's one that you can access 24/7, it's free, and you get to choose your instructor and whatever foods you want to learn about and it's drumroll........ "You Tube" :brows:
Probably the worst of all choices 😒 Literally anyone can have a YouTube cooking station.

pinterest is likewise horrible

That being said jennyema - there are plenty of good ones too. But you have to know the names of the reputable ones.
Chef John's video's are very informative for the recipe. Although not a cooking class of itself. French Cooking Academy does do them in sets. Just recently watched his various videos taking you thru the "mother sauces". He also sells the courses.

Probably the worst of all choices 😒 Literally anyone can have a YouTube cooking station.

pinterest is likewise horrible
You don't use You Tube very much do you? :) There are many outstanding choices from not only famous chefs that have doctorial cooking class like video's to very experienced and well versed people in regards to theory and cooking, it's actually a huge educational tool for learning. imo

Last edited:
You can actually earn an Associate of Arts degree in culinary arts from the Auguste Escoffier School of Culinary Arts totally on line. The two questions you need to ask yourself is,
1. Is it any good? and
2. Is it worth the cost?
And, to what end. An online degree in culinary arts is about as useful as an online degree in cabinet making. It mean 0 if you want to actually stand in front of a stove and work a station on a busy Saturday night. If it's for some kind of personal gratification, then by all means have at it and enjoy yourself.

Here are two more chefs that are well worth watching on You tube. Jacques Pepin and Chef Jean-Pierre.

hmmm, yes - Julia Child.

That being said - it is true there is much garbage out there - beginners should just stick with renowned chefs.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom